Reload this Page >

London/Paris/Rome

Search

London/Paris/Rome

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 07:27 AM
Kelley

London/Paris/Rome

Traveling to Lo/Pa/Rome over the New Years'2000. First time travelers to Europe and need advice on EVERYTHING from safety, sites to see and what to wear. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 10:22 AM
Rose

Hi Kelley, you may want to break your question down more, what areas interest you? I assume you only have max of 10 days, you could fill 10 days just looking at ruins...Art is also a time consuming pleasure. If you give more details as to your interests, and what you have already decided on, it'll be easier for us to suggest sites and places of interest. As to clothes, be sure to layer. Rome will be cool, whereas Paris and London could be downright chilly.

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 10:43 AM
Kelley

Thanks Rose for responding to my plea. We are scheduled to take half-day tours in each of the cities. Not sure of the details yet since my friend is the one that has arranged the travel plans but once I hear from her I will let you know. We are traveling with our daughters...each college students...21 yrs old so I am sure that shopping highlights will be on their agenda. I could spend most of my time in the museums but feel the main ones will be the only ones we will be able to hit due to the time constraint. Thanks so much. Will talk later.

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 11:35 AM
Rose

Hi Kelley, I do have a couple of ideas for Rome. I assume this 1/2 day trip will drive by most areas and stop at a few. I hope it covers the forum as that's a must and a guide really makes it come alive. <BR> <BR>A great walk of the sites is to take the train to Piazza de Spangna (sp) stop, this is at the foot of the Spanish steps and poke around in the shops in the area, quite expensive but nice for window shopping, or picking up that special souvenier. Then head off to the Pantheon, a good map is a must, but you'll find it! Ooh and ahh over the domed roof and the angel statues within, then onto the Piazza Navona, and then head for the street called Via Juilia (sp), named after the Ceasar himself. It's a quiet steet that heads up to the St Peter's area and the Castel Sant' Angelo. This walk gives you a good understanding of the layout of this portion of Rome, and takes in some must sees. It will take about 3-4 hours do to this walk. <BR> <BR>Save the tour of the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel til the next day, and get there early, 7:30ish to wait in line. I don't know if the museum is busier or slower at Christmas time, but best play it save and get there early. <BR> <BR>Absolute must sees: The Sistine Chapel, the Pantheon, the Colloseum, the Forum and the Piazza Venezia with Michelangelo-designed Piazza de Campidoglio, which houses the Museo Capitolino, and Piazza Navone for the three fountains and ambiance and gelato, see it at night and by day if you can. I plan to but a flat at the Piazza Navone when I win my millions. <BR> <BR>Rome's historical center is quite small, and you'll find the Forum is at the base of the Piazza del Campidoglio, and that the Panteon is a 10 minute walk from the Spanish steps, etc. It is compact, but not overly so. <BR> <BR>If you have time, the Catacombs on the outskirts of Rome are a great site, but not if you're claustrophobic! <BR> <BR>The Campo d'Fiori is great, and the Teatro de Pompeii (where Ceasar was stabbed) is said to be under the Wine Bar on the Campo d'Fiori. Have a glass of wine, heck, it's only a $1 a glass! <BR> <BR>One of my favourite places, being a history buff, is the archeolical museum by the Termini station. I think it's called the Nationale (sp) Arch. Museum, but I'm not certain of that. It's located is an old palace, wonderful setting for the ruins and crypts. <BR> <BR>I hope this helps! I wish I was going with you, as Rome truly has my heart!

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 01:33 PM
Rose

One more thing..Trevi Fountain! Another must see in Rome...

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 02:37 PM
Kelley

Rose...you are an angel!!! I am printing out all of that information so I can compare it to what is included in the tours. Wish you could join us and give us a tour. Sounds absolutely wonderful and I know that I will want to go back when the temps are warmer. When you win your millions and build a place...please let us know so we can visit. Got any ideas for Paris/London? Keep sending those responses and have a great evening.

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 04:03 PM
guy

kelly, <BR> <BR>you have an ambitious agenda. you did not say how long you were staying. hopefully at least a month to go to all three of those places. i have been to all three (not at the same time). paris is by far my absolute favorite. it is very special. the museums are wonderful, sitting in the sidewalk cafe's, etc. i could stay there a month. buy a good guidebook. there is so much. london was great too. westminster abbey, hyde park, buckingham palace, high tea (@ Brown's Hotel---a Must), the theatre, etc. very easy to get around both paris and london on the subway. rome is my least favorite---not that i didn't like it, but if i'm ranking them. of course that is just my opinion. others feel differently. i did love the ancient ruins. and seeing the vatican was really special too. we did a day trip to florence. florence was great and i would love to go back there and spend several days in the area. <BR> <BR>everyone will warn you about pickpockets in all these areas. i never saw any, anywhere except rome. rome is crawling with them. so be very careful. not only should you be very careful, but only carry what you absolutely need in you wallet. for instance, you don't need to carry your passport around with you. have all of your credit card information written down somewhere---phone numbers, card numbers, etc. and have your travelers checks information separate from your travelers checks. just take precautions because it happens to more people than you think. if you are prepared and it happens to you it won't ruin your whole trip. <BR> <BR>have a great trip.

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 04:22 PM
Rose

Hi Kelley, I have a few safety precautions on Rome for the 1st time traveller, as yourself. You can use the Metro, esp in the day, but do be careful at night, as I assume you are two women? At all times on the Metro (in all three cities) keep your belongings held close in front of you. Do this assertively - not in a frightened way, as there are people who troll the Metros looking for easy targets. Don't be one. <BR> <BR>Further on this safety thread, watch out for very poor-looking children and their mothers on the Rome streets and on the Metro. I hate to generalize, but I have to in this case, as it's better safe than sorry. The ones I speak of are thieves, and will try to distract you with a pizza box or by grabbing you, while another one reaches for your purse, camera, etc. I crossed streets to avoid these kids. Don't let them fool you, they are pros! <BR> <BR>Alas, I'm not an expert on Paris and London, having only been to each place one time. The reason for this is that everytime I try to decide where to go in Europe, I pick Italy more times than not! But I will try to advise you on what I will do in London and Paris when I go there next year, and you can decide what is right for you... <BR> <BR>In London there are guided sight seeing tours that are 'hop on hop off' buses. Ask at your hotel where the nearest stop is. Great for seeing the sights, and you can get off and explore one or two if the site piques you interest, and then get back on.This may be overkill if your tour takes in the sights... <BR> <BR>London is relatively safe, but again watch your belongings on the Metro. The sites to see IMHO are: Harrod's, Buckingham Palace, the British Museum is an absolute must see (Elgin Marbles,Rosetta Stone), as well as the National Gallery, the Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, Trafalgar Square, and if you like history, check out the Imperial War Museum. I want to see the Victoria and Albert Museum when I go next year as well, as I never made it the first time around, as well as take in a show. Be sure to see Soho, and Covent Garden. <BR> <BR>There are areas to took into here either on the internet or through your travel agent: a museum pass, and a metro pass in both cities will have some time and some money. <BR> <BR>I don't have alot of info on Paris, as unfortunately I was only there two days on a tour. I spent the majority of those days in the Louvre and the D'orsay (sp) Museum, and seeing the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, H'ospital des Invalides (Napoleon's Tomb), and the Arc d'Triumph. All are must sees. It was a very full 2 days, as one can spent 3 days in the Louvre alone! I saw enough to know I wanted to go back! Sorry I can't be more helpful on Paris, or London for that matter, hopefully a London/Paris expert can help you out here... Have a wonderful time and be sure to have some vino for us suckers back home!

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 07:03 AM
lisa

hi.. cant give any advise but on london..first, its a perfectly safe city even for ladies travelling alone..i have never felt uncomfortable anywhere there. i always walk with my hand on my bag and keep my head up. <BR> <BR>as far as what to see.. skip harrods..no big deal there. St. Martins in the field has wonderful candlelight concerts,tower of london is a must, V&A museum, national portrait gallery, covent garden, but be prepared for HUGE crowds on the weekend, westminster.. buck palace did not excite me much... and last but not least, take in as many pubs as you can find!

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 05:22 AM
elaine

Hi Kelley <BR>I have files on Paris and London; if you'd like to see either or both, email me. <BR>

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 01:46 PM
Kelley

This is just so nice of everyone; it was a fluke that I found this site and now I have found it most helpful. I have been reading some of the other questions and doing research from some of the responses. Wish we were leaving sooner and staying longer but I can almost guarantee that I will go back. Perhaps, I will help other first time travelers when they need assistance. Think this is great!! I know that this will be a wonderful trip...the first of many. Thanks.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 02:44 PM
Rhonda

As Kelley mentioned it is difficult to answer such a broad question. I've visited all three cities. My advice to you is to go to the experts. I like Rick Steve's style. He offers a guidebook on each of the cities you are visiting. He will give you the basics on each city and even gives mini museum tours. Everyone has their own style and priorities on a trip. You might go to a large bookstore and peruse the travel books. <BR> <BR>My favorite place to visit in Rome was the Vatican and roaming the old ruins. In Paris I love shopping the boutiques by the Bon Marche and wandering around the Louvre. Paris is the best place I know to walk around and experience. In London I enjoy seeing all the plays I can fit in and the Victoria and Albert. I have to admit because I am not a big city person I enjoy taking the train to the country just as much as anything there is to do in the city but it doesn't sound like you have time for that this time around. Be open to the differences in each place and I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 08:23 PM
richardab

For some good ideas on Rome including hotels, tips and restaurants check out my websight. It not completely finished but the Rome path is ready&gt; <BR> <BR>http://home.earthlink.net/~richardab/ <BR> <BR>Follow the path Enter&gt;Fly&gt;Europe&gt;Rome

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 08:13 PM
Kelley

Enjoyed your website...wish it was completed...I will keep checking on the progress. Been reading Steves book and getting more tips. Should have part of the trip planned and then the rest we will just explore and enjoy the locals. Thanks.