Reload this Page >

London/Paris four weeks (2&2)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 07:29 AM
David

Looking for nice small 2-3* hotel or ensuite B&B $100USD +/- (October)close to underground/metro. Best way to travel between these cities?

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 08:09 AM
Diane

We're looking at a similar trip for next April although lesser duration (one week each location). It isn't hard to find lodgings in Paris, Hotel Muguet and Hotel Grandes Balcons are two suggestions on the Left Bank that fit your criteria. However London looks to be much more expensive, and you may want to consider a week in London and a week outside of London to help lower your per-night cost. There is a lot to see outside of London (understatement). I've found www.smoothhound.com (? I think) to be helpful in researching. Hotel Morgan in the Bloomsbury area of London is one of the favorites here, and I'm leaning in that direction myself for next Spring.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 11:16 AM
janis

For any stay in London or Paris of more than 4 days, definitely consider renting flats. Much cheaper than hotels, MUCH more space, and you have the advantage of a full kitchen and a washer/dryer. I always rent apartments in London and about half the time in Paris. I don't do heavy cooking - but having a kitchen for when you really do want to stay in is a godsend. <BR> <BR>And the difference between a small hotel room and a flat with a living room, kitchen, bedroom and bath - it would make a long stay much more comfortable.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 11:39 AM
Linda

Diane, yes, it is www.smoothhound.com, a great resourse for inexpensive lodging in the UK. It's the first place I go to find somewhere.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 03:44 PM
DeeInLB

Just spent a week in each city in August and that was our budget, too. <BR> <BR>I had good luck using www.lastminute.com for a hotel in London. (And I booked about six weeks in advance, which I don't really consider "last minute".) We spent six nights at the Millennium Bailey's on Gloucester Road for 70 GBP/night. It's directly across the street from the underground station. <BR> <BR>We took the Eurostar from London to Paris, which I thought was the way to go. We got our tickets online before we left on www.raileurope.com. I bought all our tickets/passes on that site before we left just to have everything taken care of! <BR> <BR>For Paris, I referred to the book "Cheap Sleeps Paris" for recommendations and picked Hotel le Regent in the 6th arrondissement. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 03:50 PM
Mel

I agree with Linda--smoothhounds is a good site. I also like hotel-assist.com. I've used them frequently and never had a problem. When you e-mail your request the hotel responds to you directly so your reservation # and other info is from them, not a booking site. Also, all subsequent correspondence is directly with the hotel. <BR>Have a great trip!

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 04:04 PM
elvira

Check the eurostar site <BR>www.eurostar.co.uk <BR> <BR>One way tix are expensive, but you can buy a r/t and not use the return if you're flying out of Paris. There's a phone # in the U.K. to order tix.