London/Paris for two weeks?

Dec 5th, 1997, 01:15 PM
Yvonne

London/Paris for two weeks?

My husband and I are considering Europe next year. He wants to travel to both London and Paris during two consecutive weeks. I think it would be better to plan on only one of those cities. We have never been to Europe and I'm concerned that both cities may be overwhelming. Any advice?

Dec 5th, 1997, 03:21 PM
sgorces

So many choices, so little time! I have not been to Paris, but London is wonderful. I somewhat regret having been so close (in London) and not going on to Paris. I would have to side with your husband. One week in London then hop the bullet train through the chunnel and off to Paris. That's really an unbeatable trip. The British Tourist Authority in New York can send you brochures which offer package deals on the bullet train. I think it's about $170 US from London to Paris. If you have not been on a train going 300kph, it will be a memorable part of your trip. By no means should you fly, you can fly anywhere!

Dec 5th, 1997, 03:27 PM
sgorces

And another thing: you should consider splitting things up a bit differently. For example, you could tour most of England in 9 or 10 days...3-4 days in London then Bath, Cotswolds, Lake District, Yorkshire Dales, York City. England is so great for touring because you can easily drive to York in a day and still have some sightseeing. Then off to Paris for 4 days which gets you the another splendid European city. You could spend a week in each city but the opportunity cost of not focusing on the countryside too would be pretty high. On the other hand, you can't really miss either way!

Dec 5th, 1997, 04:07 PM
Bill Irving

I have done the Paris London thing a few times. The latest being this past June, with my wife & 10 yr old son. That is very do-able. If this is your
first time there, it would be better to spend alittle time in both places, so that if you get the chance to go back you can decide which place you want
to spend more time at. We stayed four nights in Paris. We got a good taste of Paris in those days(but I have also been there 2 times before.) 1 day, we also
spent at Versailles. Then we took the Eurostar train to London & stayed 8 nifgts in London. We actually spent only about 3-4 days touring London & took day
trips to other areas of Great Britain on the other days. 1 day we went to Portsmouth, another day we went to Cardiff & Caerphilly Wales, another day we went
to Nottingham, another day we went to Windsor & then took the sleeper train from London to Edinburgh & then went back to London late the next afternoon. This is
do-able with a Britrail pass. I have been to Great Britain 2 other times & have traveled that way both times. In this way I have also been to Bath, Dover, Warwick,
Stratford upon Avon, & a few other places. If want some more info, go ahead & email me.

Dec 5th, 1997, 07:54 PM
Dan

If you only plan to tour in and around these two great cities in your two weeks, you will be able to cover a lot of ground successfully. However, if you want to go to the Cotswolds, Stratford, Bath, etc as well as the Loire Valley or or other places, you'll sacrifice in terms of just "skimming the surface." Even though it's your first trip and you'll want to cover as much territory as you can, I urge you to go for "depth" rather than "breadth". You can spend a week in each city and see a lot - we spent 5 days in London on our first trip to England and were satisfied that we saw all the "must see" spots but knew we could have easily spent another 5-7 days to get off the beaten path and see more of non-tourist London. I suggest 5 days in the city and save a day or two for travel to Bath or the Cotswolds (great little village: Chipping Camden). As for Paris, I feel pretty much the same - 5 days gives you an opportunity to explore the major sites and leaves a day or two for Versailles or, better yet (in my opinion) Chartres. The chunnel really makes it so much easier to see both without wasted travel time. You didn't ask about specific accomodations (there are a couple of other topics on this bulletin board on that) but let me suggest for Paris that you get Fodor's Rivages Hotels of Character and Charm in Paris. Last trip, we stayed at the Hotel D'Angleterre on the Left Bank and were very satisfied with location, friendly staff and great room. In London, last time we stayed at the Claverley Hotel, which is a small townhouse hotel just around the corner from Harrod's in Kensington (full English breakfast included). In Paris, go to Angelina's, a tea room on the Rue de Rivoli, and order the Mont Blancs - maybe the most indulgent dessert you'll ever have but all the walking you'll do will take care of the guilt. London and Paris are two very different cities - interestingly, of all the couples we know who have been to both, the women prefer London and the men Paris. For me, Paris is the most beautiful city I've ever been to and I'd go back a hundred times. Bon Voyage!

Dec 6th, 1997, 09:20 AM
Jill

I can't imagine going to Europe with out going to Paris. Doing both is certainly do-able. If you feel strongly about only seeing one country, opt for France over England (my humble opinion). Paris should be a must see. It's fantastic.I hope to get back this year myself. You'll have a great trip.

Dec 7th, 1997, 04:41 AM
Donna

If you want to go to Paris and London - do it! There is more in either than you can possibly see or do in a week, but a year wouldn't be long enough either. The important thing is to do whatever you find appealing. Be sure to get some good tour guides. I like Eyewitness because they are organized by neighborhood and have fabulous descriptions, maps and photographs. The section in the back relative to museum passes, getting around and so forth is invaluable. For restaurants and shopping, the Access guides (also organized by neighborhood) are excellent. Be sure to do all the research you can, because the more you know before you go, the more you'll enjoy your trip. Since you are on AOL, be sure to check out the European message boards on the Travel Channel, and go to Keyword BONJOUR for a wealth of information on Paris.

Search this Thread