london neighborhoods help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to london in sept. I'm looking at hotels in Westminster, earls court and near paddington station. All the areas seem near transport, but is any better situated as a base to explore the city than another? Earls court seemed the furthest distance. What about the areas themselves, which is better for food shops, vibe, etc?

Also curious about hotels in the west end, would this be a good area to stay. Or is any area okay as long as its in central London?

Thank's in advance.
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 05:31 AM

I've always stayed in Bloomsbury. British Museum there. Restos ad pubs nearby. Tube access good. Heathrow access good.

From my hotel I walked to City, Thames, St Paul's, Covent Garden, Trafalgar Sq...

This area has hotels and B&Bs.
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 06:01 AM

Paddington is the one that is "furthest distance" as it has limited transport options to places tourists would go. It's also expensive or slow to get to from any London airport

Earls Court is convenient for the museums at South Kensington and is on a direct Tube route to most of the other major attractions in London
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 07:05 AM

I find the Earl's court area a bit tacky though there are good transportation services. I much prefer South Kensington and Chelsea. Paddington is a bit sterile.

Check out Londontown.com for good hotel deals
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 07:22 AM

Paddington is fairly useless for tourist purposes -- it's not near anything except the most tacky tourist traps (Wax museum, Sherlock Holmes stuff) and it's not that close to those either.

Earl's Court is useful if you're going for a nearby exhibition. If you've not been to London before, you'll likely have the South Kens museums lower on your list than the Tower, National Gallery, Cabinet War Rooms, Westminster Abbey, British Museum, etc., and those are all MUCH closer to the Westminster area.
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 07:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Of the three areas you list -- Westminster would be much more central/convenient for touring. But there are other cental neighborhoods that would be as good or better.

Victoria for budget; Covent Garden for VERY central; Bloomsbury; South Kensington - even more convenient than Earls Court for the museums - but a nicer area.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 09:09 AM

I will be in London too. I am concerned about getting to the airport early on departure date so I thought a hotel near paddington would be best. any advice? any hotel suggr=estions under 180.00 usd a night?