London Itinerary suggestion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning first time trip for 5 days to London with wife and 2 daughters (10 and 5 ). I have a previus itinerary. Could you help me if we are fine with the schedule , times and distances. Could you suggest option in case. We may need the london Pass?
We´ll stay in a hotel located in 8-16 Montpelier, Row.

LONDON SCHEDULE AND ITINERARY

DAY 1 (Just in the afternoon)
1. COVENT GARDEN (ENTERTAINMENT STREET).

DAY 2
2. LONDON EYE.
3. BIG BUS. “HOP ON-HOP OFF”. BUS TOUR. INCLUDED RIVER CRUISE.
4. TOWER OF LONDON.
5. TRAFALGAR SQ.

DAY 3
6. ZOO.
7. BIG BEN AND PARLIAMENT (BOTH NEAR).
8. ST. PAUL’S
9. BRITISH MUSEUM
10. SOHO.

DAY 4
11. BUCKINGHAM PALACE.
12. MEWS
13. WESTMINSTER ABBEY.
14. ST. JAMES PARK

DAY 5
15. HARRODS.
16. LONDON TRANSPORT MUSEUM.
17. TOWER BRIDGE.

ALTERNATIVES
• MARITIME MUSEUM.
• AQUARIUM.
• GREENWICH.
• MADAME TUSSAUDS.
• NATUTAL HISTORY MUSEUM.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 08:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just to get you started --I'll re-post part of my answer from your other thread:

>>You need to rearrange a few of those sites - it is better to group things in the same part(s) of town instead of jumping all over. Transportation eats up a lot of time. For examples -- The Transport Museum is in Covent Garden so they should be on the same day. Plus Trafalgar Square is also near Covent Garden.

Tower Bridge is right next door to the Tower of London so it doesn't make sense to do them on different days. Also -- one should head for the Tower very first thing in the morning.

See you over on the Europe board <<
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 08:28 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Now, for more details:

• Don't invest in the London Pass. It is very expensive and it is difficult to get enough value using it. A better option are the Days Out 2 for 1 discounts http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/ If you do a search on these forums you'll get TONS of information about these 2for1 vouchers. Basically it require you buy <u>paper</u> travelcards in a train station instead of a Tube/Underground station.

• Day 1. If you in Covent Garden, that is when you should visit the Transport Museum(or move both to a different day

• Day 2. Which ever day you visit the Tower of London -- go there first thing in the morning. Then in the afternoon, walk across Tower Bridge. Do them the same day.

• Day 3. This is just ALL over the place --look at a map of London and you will see you are zig zagging across central several times.

• Day 4. These sites are all very near each other so a good grouping. Big Ben is actually across the street from Westminster Abbey so move it here from day 3. Trafalgar Square is also nearby if you want to wander that direction.

• Day 5. After moving Tower Bridge to day 2 and the Transport Museum to which ever day you go to Covent Garden - you have an almost free day to add other things

And finally -- don't over plan. Transportation takes longer than you'd think and your kids may get totally burned out (and the parents too )
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 10:23 PM

The problem with day 3 is that you cannot see all those sites in 1 day. The zoo takes alot of time, its the sort of place families go for the whole day, same with the British Museum. Day 1 could combine Covent Garden with walking around Soho & Trafalgar Square, if you are up to it. Madame Tussauds is not really worth the time IMO.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 11:40 PM

Sorting into groups that are logical to do together

1. COVENT GARDEN (ENTERTAINMENT STREET).
16. LONDON TRANSPORT MUSEUM.
10. SOHO.

5. TRAFALGAR SQ.
11. BUCKINGHAM PALACE.
12. MEWS
13. WESTMINSTER ABBEY.
14. ST. JAMES PARK
2. LONDON EYE.
• AQUARIUM.
7. BIG BEN AND PARLIAMENT (BOTH NEAR).

4. TOWER OF LONDON.
8. ST. PAUL’S
17. TOWER BRIDGE.

• GREENWICH.
• MARITIME MUSEUM.

15. HARRODS.
• NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM.

6. ZOO.

• MADAME TUSSAUDS.

9. BRITISH MUSEUM

3. BIG BUS. “HOP ON-HOP OFF”. BUS TOUR. INCLUDED RIVER CRUISE.

Of the isolated places, the one that I would recommend above all others is the British Museum, the ones I wouldn't recommend are Madame Tussauds & Harrods. I'd also attempt to do the Ho-Ho tour as early as possible in the week to get your bearings - it may also remove a few things on your list that you just intend to do a fly-by.