London itinerary help requested

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son and I will be in London May 26 - 31! He's 15, and it's his first trip. I have been planning this for so long that I think I now have too much information, and I'm swimming in details. May I please ask for some help in grouping things together for minimal wasted time crossing the city?

Here's what's set: We arrive Heathrow 6:30am, Thurs May 26, and we leave Heathrow 12:30pm Tues May 31. Staying near the Bayswater tube station. We'll each have a rolling suitcase and carry on. Friday May 27 we have a guide all day (gift from Mom!) taking us through the Tower, Westminster Abbey, Parliament, and general tour. I'm now aware that Mon May 30 is a Bank Holiday, and some tube lines will be closed for the long weekend. Budget: reasonable = no fancy meals. Willing to get up early!

This is Ben's trip, and here are his priorities in addition to what we'll do Friday: Oxford, Hampton Court, climb to top of St. Paul's, Imperial War Museum, Harrods Food Hall, Museum of London.

The London Walks sound awesome, and I was thinking about doing their Hampton Court explorer day. I have a long list of other things to toss in, should they be located near one of our "must-do's" or should they be open late enough to get to if we're not pooped out, but I'm hesitant to list them all here. Also, I would like to attend services at Holy Trinity Brompton (Alpha!) Sunday morning.

I figure on using the tube, buses and walking, though we'll need the train for Oxford, I suppose. Would love to work a river ride in somewhere, if the weather's nice.

Thanks so much!
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 01:33 PM

If you allow one day for Oxford, the bulk of one day for Hampton Court, and the bulk of Friday for your tour, you're going to be squeezing a lot into the other day.

You could certainly combine the Museum of London and St Paul's in one trip, since they're right next to each other. You could walk over the footbridge from St Pauls to Bankside pier to take a boat, too. But it looks as though you also have to be trying to visit the Imperial War Museum on the same day.

I think something might have to give.

If you haven't already found it, check out
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tourist_map.shtml
for the bus routes near most of the major attractions.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 01:37 PM

You can not do all of that.
So scale it back.

Places close before you will be able to get there. Moreover, I don't think you have factored in transportation time to reach your destinations.

I suggest you think in terms of something at night, like a play or a musical.

We took my son to London when he was 16 and it was one of the best things we ever did!!

Old May 1st, 2005, 01:08 AM

Just returned from 4 full days (plus travel days) to London with my 14 year old daughter. We did not do Oxford day nor Hampton Court Day - and just fit in all the other things you want to do (plus a few others).
Old May 1st, 2005, 04:21 AM

I think you'll have a great time and I think you can probably do most of what you suggest. I was just there in March and stayed near the Bayswater tube, I love that area.

First of all, if you are on a budget take the tube from the airport, with just a rolling suitcase it will be no problem.

To go to Oxford you don't want the train, you want the "Oxford Tube" which is actually a bus (big and comfortable and air conditioned). It takes just over an hour (depending on traffic) and drops you off in the center of Oxford as oppossed to the train which leaves you quite a distance out. It costs £12 roundtrip for adults and £9 for students. There is a pick-up/drop off stop in Notting Hill which is a short walk from the Bayswater tube. It's right on Bayswater, a few blocks from the intersection with Queensway (which is the street the Bayswater tube in on). It runs very frequently (like I think about every 15 minutes). You will love Oxford, be sure to go into Christ Church College, especially if your son is a Harry Potter fan.

Although travel by the tube is great, London buses are a lot of fun and can be just as fast or faster in some cases. If you get a travelcard you can use either as often as you want. They no longer have a 3 day card, but you will be there almost 7 days including your travel days so it will still be worthwhile. Zone 1 should be enough, with an extension for the Heathrow trips.

As someone else said, St Pauls and the Museum of London are close to each other so do those at the same time. Harrods is open till 7pm in case you want to do that later in the day.

For budget eating I strongly recommend Wagamama's, a chain of Japanese noodle restaurants. Great food, starting at £5.5 for a decent meal (plus drinks, but water is free). I also recommend going to Marks and Spencer's food court for salads, sandwiches, etc to go and having picnics. There is a Marks and Spencer's in Whitley's which is a couple blocks north of the Bayswater tube. There are several small grocery shops in that area which also sell decent sandwiches but Marks and Spencer's has the best selection. There are of course many more Marks and Spencers all over London.

Have a great time.
Old May 1st, 2005, 04:26 AM

Forgot to add that there is a Wagamamas right next door to Harvey Nichols which is only a couple of blocks from Harrods. There is also one on Kensington High Street right near that tube station. (and if you are in that area be sure to check out St Mary Abbot Church which has a beautiful church yard). There are others and if you google Wagamama you'll get their web site with the addresses.

Also should add that the "Oxford Tube" bus stops are marked as such and are not the same as the regular London bus stops (it's right next to one though). You can buy your tickets from the driver.
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:07 AM

I agree with teh poster who says you should buy a 7 day travelcard. You can use these for all buses all of the time, even outside Zone 1. I would buy your cards at Heathrow, if you are not getting a car into town, and ask for an extension to the Zone 1 ticket you buy to get you into central London. THat way you will have sorted out your travel needs right at the beginning of the trip.
Good advice also from the poster who talked about Wagamama and Marks and Spencer, Tesco, Sainsbury's sandwiches etc.
I think you are being a bit ambitious with what you want to do. London is big and sprawling and sometimes the traffic and the tubes take more time that you think. Just take time to take it all in, which is part of the joy of being somewhere new.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all for your thoughtful input. The best part of this trip will be the time spent alone with my son! Next will be the experience of London itself. I have been frustrated by the fact that by his age, I had been heavily steeped in the lore of England, (my history class in 8th grade was focused on England alone) and I so want him to love it all as much as I do. But spending time in the parks, just watching people, is half the joy, I would imagine.

I am particularly thankful for the "Oxford Tube" advice from Isabel, and I've downloaded and printed the wonderful map, thank you PatrickLondon! And thanks also to those of you who responded re their trips with teens - we have so little time left, and the reasonable eating recommendations. I look forward to posting trip reports on our return.