London in the rain - your help appreciated

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2009, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We booked a 3-day trip to London. The first day, June 4th, is predicated to be mostly cloudy, 10% chance of rain. The following days through Sunday, when we leave, are predicted to be raining.

We've got rain gear, so no worries there, but would like to know which on-off bus to take. It appears that the Big Bus is open up top. We got soaked in Paris last year doing the same thing (it was pretty fun, but freezing).

Also, should we try to do the London Eye Thursday? We get it around 1 pm, but we have to clear customs, get to our hotel, etc. Don't exactly know where the LE is, but a thought just occurred to me: stow luggage at Victoria (there are lockers there, right?), get to LE (which station?), see a few other sites which would be not fun in the rain, come get our luggage, and proceed to hotel (District Line, Tower Hill Station). How does this sound?

Is the aquarium worth seeing? What else should we see while it's raining? And where should we watch the changing of the guard?

Your help is much appreciated!
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:38 AM

London is full to the gunwales with museums and art galleries.
You also have places like St. Pauls, Westminster Abbey and umpteen churches.
Anyway, Thursday has a forecast of sunny intervals.
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:55 AM

Don't worry too much about rain in London, from my limited experience, it never last long, as long as you have rain gears, shalln't be a problem.

Not sure which on-off bus, but it mught be more convenient just taking regular double decker buses, such as #9, or #15, they go along many major sightseeing sites too.

No locker at Victoria but left luggage storage place with 8 pounds a piece. If you are coming from Heathrow, it might be easier take Piccadilly Line, change at Hammersmith to District Line, then to your hotel, come back to District Line, off at Embankment, walk accross Hungerford bridge, where London Eye located. The daylight is long in early June, it would be more interesting to be on London Eye around sunset.

Not sure about aquarium,never been in more than 20 years London visits. National Gallery, British Museum, Museum of London, V&A, are all worth days of visits.
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

I will have a 7-year old with me. Should have mentioned that. Also, is my thought of stashing my suitcases at Victoria a good one while I do the London Eye is potentially decent weather? Which tube station?

On-off bus, anyone?
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:57 AM

If you really like to storage luggage in station, Charing Cross is more convenient, as it's just 2-3 minutes walk to the bridge and Embankment tube station.
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Our posts crossed at the same time.

Very helpful. Will miss the aquarium. Will judge the weather for the LE and try for sunset.

Natural history museum has a dino exhibit. Also, will explore some other great places.

Liked your idea of the Double Decker 9 or 15. Where do I catch them?
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:40 AM

Take the seven year old to see Harrods toy department. The British Museum is a must see in my opinion. Westminster, too. Rainy London weather is the perfect time to do indoor sights and lunch on cheese toasties.
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:37 AM

You can take the 9, 15, or get the 139 from Waterloo and take it through central London to see sights. The 15 should be right by your hotel at Tower Hill. The 9 and 15 are the only lines that run the old open-back Routemaster buses.

There is a really good pub right by the Docklands Light Railway Tower Gateway station (under the train line going toward Bank) that has great fish & chips. We forgot the name.

The Eye costs 17 quid (less for the kid, if anything) -- that's currently $28. The South Kensington museums (V&A, Natural History, etc.) are close together and most (all?) are free so you can dodge raindrops. National Portrait Gallery and National Gallery are basically next to each other in Trafalgar Square and surrounds, also free, and closer to you (South Kens is a bit of a hike).

Hamley's toy store is on Regent Street, more convenient to central London museums and sights than Harrod's in Knightsbridge. Five story ALL TOYS toy store.

As for your arrival, I'd suggest this since I'm guessing you're arriving at Gatwick: take an express train to London Bridge station (NOT VICTORIA, NOT GATWICK EXPRESS) and cab to your hotel at Tower Hill (short cab ride from London Bridge). The train ride is 29 minutes to London Bridge with one stop at East Croyden. Go to www.nationalrail.co.uk for details.

Drop bags at hotel and hop the District/Circle line at Tower Hill to Embankment. Climb up stairs to Hungerford Bridges, begin walking, look across Thames to your right. If you can't see the Eye from there, you're a bit hopeless. Go down the stairs at the other side of the bridge and walk toward the Eye and away from South Bank Centre.

To get back to hotel, walk away from the Hungerford Bridges and toward the next bridge up the river (facing across the river, it's to your left) = the Westminster Bridge. Point out Big Ben to small person. Cross bridge. Cross the street and Westminster station entrance will be 30-40 meters up on your right. On your left will be Westminster Abbey. Get District/Circle line back to hotel area.
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:45 AM

For buses:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...al_bus_map.pdf

Hmm - personally I might skip Harrods toy department, but then, OP knows best how to deal with "I want". Depending on the 7-year-old, the London Transport museum in Covent Garden might also be of interest.

I agree about the weather - "raining" is likely to mean passing showers rather than an all-day downpour (but I could be as wrong as any other forecaster, this far ahead).
Old May 31st, 2009, 11:26 AM

For what it's worth, the latest BBC forecast for the week suggests that although temperatures will drop to around the mid-60sF for Thursday and Friday, it's unlikely to bring much rain with it.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 01:41 AM

Second Patrick's response - the 10 day weather forecast suggests sun but mid 60F. Secret is to keep checking the weather.com website. Your 7 year old may want to let off steam after all the South Kensington museums in the Princess Diana adventure playground in Kensington Gardens. http://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/k...playground.cfm
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 02:35 AM

Harrods isn't universally known as Horrids for nothing. It's a vile tourist trap ful of yanks, Eurotrash, Russian Gangsters Molls and iffy Arabs. You'll never see a local in it.

Take the kid to Hamleys in Regent St instead. It's a HUGE toy shop and you don't have to put up with all the bollocks that goes with Harrods.

ps English rain isn't usually that heavy and if you have brollies/macs you can functionperfectly well in it. We do.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 02:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Based on the last few days (glorious blue sky etc) the rain will tend towards lightish rather than the heavy thunders, so should be ok
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 03:22 AM

Or it will piss down like a biblical flood for about 15 minutes and then stop.

Hide in a pub or shop when that happens - it doesn't last long.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 03:50 AM

Ditto as to rain in London not usually being a show stopper, and nothing remotely like what I'm used to at home. Also ditto on Harrod's being useless unless you're idea of a good time is a particularly trashy version of "Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous".

With a seven-year-old in tow I'd do the Natural History Museum and the London Transport Museum. The Imperial War Museum is also very good, and includes an entire section that's designed for and about children in wartime (and doesn't emphasize the gruesome).
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:30 AM

(slight hijack: where is the best place to buy umbrellas once we reach London. We are flying Virgin...weight limitations etc....)
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:42 AM

You will find umbrellas in Boots and lots of the tourist stores.

Dont worry too much about the rain, it rarely lasts long and there are lots of shops, museums, pubs to nip into to get away from it.

I would take your luggage to your hotel and just be done with it. The sun is up until about 9pm now so you shouldnt have a problem.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:47 AM
yk

Feldie - Have you looked into the lightweight umbrellas made by Totes? I have one and it's extremely light, yet sturdy enough. It is a permanent fixture in my suitcase, and I travel with just a 19" carryon! It's so light that it hardly adds any weight to the luggage.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:52 AM

Thanks yk, which one? (I've only been looking at the POS at Target)

http://www.totes-isotoner.com/catego...g+umbrellas.do
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:58 AM
yk

I got mine 5 years ago, at a yard sale, for like $3. Definitely the best deal I've ever gotten! It is similar to the "totes Micro 'brella Folding Rain Umbrella" - manual opening/closing. I assume the manual umbrellas are lighter than the automatic ones.

Are there stores near you that carry various styles by Totes? It's best to actually try them in person if possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -