London in May

Old Jul 10th, 1999, 01:53 PM
Dru

London in May

I will be in London in May 2000 for 2 weeks. I have several questions.
1. What clothes to pack (I'm female,from Florida, USA)Any suggestions?
2. My friend and I are considering carrying backpacks- good or bad idea?
3. Also considering buying a British Heritage Pass- is this worthwhile?
Thx,
Dru

Old Jul 10th, 1999, 03:36 PM
Carol Lehrman

Hi Dru:

We were in London this past May, and as far as clothes, always bring layers, but you'll most likely hit some cold weather, so have some kind of coat or jacket. We had a few beautiful, sunny days, and some very cold, drizzly days. On those cold days, you'll want to be warm so that it doesn't stop you from doing any of the wonderful things there are to do and see in London.

A backpack is perfectly fine.

As far as a British Heritage Pass, I'm not sure what that is, but I'm sure someone else on this board can give you good information.

Have a great trip!

Old Jul 10th, 1999, 04:34 PM
wes fowler

Dru,
The British Heritage pass has some value if you will be traveling extensively outside of London. There are few attractions in London that charge admission (almost all of the museums are free, for example). The pass would be good for Windsor Castle, and Hampton Court which do charge admission but simply gets you a 50% discount at the Tower of London. Considering its cost for either seven or 15 days, I don't think it's worth it for travel to London alone.

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 06:57 AM
kristin

You can get a complete rundown on the Heritage Pass at www.information-britain.co.uk/pass/usa.htm. Additional London sites covered include Tower Bridge, Kensington Palace, Roal Mews at Buckingham, and not too far away -- Blenheim, Stonehenge, and the baths at Bath.

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 12:12 PM
kristin

Sorry -- that is the Royal Mews! Also, the advice on weather was good. We were there in late May and it was actually unusually warm and sunny, but people there were so surprised at the GOOD weather, that we figured we had been just very lucky! I didn't have a coat along -- but I had the possibility of putting on a short sleeve top, a long-sleeve blouse, a long-sleeve cotton cardigan, a poplin blazer and a nylon windbreaker. I wore all of this once or twice in Ireland and Scotland, but not in London.

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 06:29 PM
bushmama

Hi Dru, Ditto to the other travelers' advice about layering. I was in London and environs this past late May, and the weather was very nice - warm, pleasant days and very cool nights (good because A/C is not omnipresent). Although we were lucky with only a little rain, one can usually expect more showers in May. The gardens are lovely at this time of year. Try visiting one or two outside of London. Happy travels
bushmama