Reload this Page >

London in january helps.

Search

London in january helps.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 1997, 07:49 AM
George Mather

London in january helps.

Will be at the Harrington House in London In January. What is hotel like? Required to pack adaptors for hair dryers? What are sales like at Harrods? Is Speakers' corner active in January? Any fun antique shops or street sales suggested? Can go to two of four places as part of the trip: Canterbury, Oxford, Stonehenge, or Windsor...which two would you suggest? Everyone talks of sensible shoes..is it for warmth or dryness or should I just pack my Bean rubber boots ? Any other stores that are fun and not too expensive or areas to browse?
any answers are appreciated.

Old Dec 29th, 1997, 08:59 AM
dodger

George, you need to purchase a travel book about London. You will find most of your questions answered if you spent a little time reading. As far as shoes, wear something that are confortable. You will be doing a lot of walking but you will want to look decent as well. Any soft, warm shoe will do. With reguard to towns you can or should visit I would opt for Oxford and Canterbury. You can go to the Tourist Information Center in Oxford and purchase a map for a walking tour of the town. Look for the "Grapes" pub. Good food.

Old Dec 29th, 1997, 09:00 AM
dodger

George, you need to purchase a travel book about London. You will find most of your questions answered if you spent a little time reading. As far as shoes, wear something that are confortable. You will be doing a lot of walking but you will want to look decent as well. Any soft, warm shoe will do. With reguard to towns you can or should visit I would opt for Oxford and Canterbury. You can go to the Tourist Information Center in Oxford and purchase a map for a walking tour of the town. Look for the "Grapes" pub. Good food.

Old Dec 29th, 1997, 06:09 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear George: Can't help with the hotel as I always stay with my ex-patriate sister; but I HAVE been in London in January. Expect rain maybe 50%25 of the time. Wear shoes with rubber soles both to keep dry and for comfort. I echo Dodger's recommendation about the two towns to visit. Though Harrod's is the best-known department store it's become a bit garish. I'd favor Selfridge's, Harvey Nichols, and Liberty--PLUS the shop at the V&A, a MARVELLOUS spot with all sorts of good souvenir notions and no junk. Bon voyage--and have a good time. It's hard NOT to love London. Joan

Old Dec 29th, 1997, 06:10 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear George: Can't help with the hotel as I always stay with my ex-patriate sister; but I HAVE been in London in January. Expect rain maybe 50%25 of the time. Wear shoes with rubber soles both to keep dry and for comfort. I echo Dodger's recommendation about the two towns to visit. Though Harrod's is the best-known department store it's become a bit garish. I'd favor Selfridge's, Harvey Nichols, and Liberty--PLUS the shop at the V&A, a MARVELLOUS spot with all sorts of good souvenir notions and no junk. Bon voyage--and have a good time. It's hard NOT to love London. Joan