London in January

Search

London in January

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2016, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London in January

We have an unexpected opening to travel for a week in January and I am wondering whether it would be worth it to go to London for a few days. I have some frequent flier miles burning a hole in my pocket and it would be delightfully easy to get direct flights as it is the offseason. I am originally from the Great Lakes region so used to gloomy winter weather, and it seems like it would be a good time to visit the main attractions due to less crowds. If it were just my husband and I, I think we would go for it without too much hesitation, however, we will have an almost one year old by then. He is a pretty chill baby and a bit behind with getting around so I suspect he will not be walking yet, and is generally happy to be strapped to one of us in a carrier, especially when there are interesting things to look at. He has been on a couple domestic flights without too much issue, however I know an international flight with a time change is a game changer. Anyone have thoughts about visiting London this time of year, particularly if you've done it with young children? If this is a completely STUPID IDEA, I can take it. Unfortunately a spring/summer visit is not in the cards this year, so if we didn't go this winter, realistically we'd probably wait a few years till he was past the toddler phase. Which is fine, I'm just tempted to take advantage of this opportunity!
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 06:29 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> Anyone have thoughts about visiting London this time of year, particularly if you've done it with young children? If this is a completely STUPID IDEA<<

Not stupid at all. The only down side really is if the weather is nasty you won't be enjoying the parks.

But London is a 365 day a year city. Lots (TONS) of indoor activities if the weather drives you inside..
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 06:46 AM

I've been to London in the winter, but I'm not sure whether in January. I was there in late December a few years ago. It was a great time for visiting museums. London doesn't get as cold as most inland cities in the northern USA. When I've been there, the temperatures have always been above freezing, except maybe overnight. I've found fairly good weather, but with the risk of sudden cloudbursts.

Traveling with a baby is no different in London than anywhere else. It's impossible to predict how he'll cope with the flight. My granddaughter has been visiting me in Italy (with her parents) since she was that age. Since I don't live near a major airport, it's a longer trip that you'll have. She's always traveled well, but that doesn't have any predictive value.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 08:28 AM

You may be used to gloomy weather but does that include pouring, slashing rain ?
But, what the heck, go !
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 08:31 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
My husband was a musician who was on the road in the summer, so my son traveled from the time he was born. I didn't find it particularly difficult. In fact having maid service was very nice in the early months. Let them sleep and eat when they want to, in the carrier or in the room and have food on hand and I think you'll be fine. My son at that age didn't cooperate in restaurants very well so that might be something to consider, depending on your particular situation, though as we know behaviors can change at any given moment. An apartment with a kitchen, rather than a hotel room, may serve you best.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 08:32 AM

>>You may be used to gloomy weather but does that include pouring, slashing rain ?<<

That isn't any more likely in London than where I live in northern California. Could it pour - sure. Could it be dry - yep. Most likely it will be a bit of rain and a bit of . . . not rain.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 08:39 AM

You really can't tell. Last year it was quite warm in early January in London.
We lived in London when our kids were small. I found it much easier in winter than living in the country. You don't seem to notice the cold as much, as there is so much to do indoors. Since most museums are free, you just walk in whenever you want, even if just to shelter from rain. The Natural History Museum was a favorite, even when they were tiny.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 09:54 AM

Slashing rain is unlikely, and if there's a steady downpour, it won't stay that way for long. London is on the dry side of the country, so while there might be on-off showers, or misty damp spits and spots, it's unlikely to be there day after day.

Can't really advise about the baby, except to say that I was one here once, and a fair few of us seem to have survived the winters, even in the days before central heating, when you might wake up to ice on the inside of the bedroom window
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 10:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We went to London a few years ago right after Christmas and the weather, temperature-wise, seemed rather mild; there were primroses or something in baskets in places and they were in bloom.

I would absolutely take advantage of this opportunity.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 11:59 AM

January is a good time for cheap tickets to shows

http://www.getintolondontheatre.co.uk/
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 02:38 PM

London is great any time of year. If you have the chance, you should go.
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the responses! We are going to see how our thanksgiving travel goes next week and then make a decision. We would probably try to rent an apartment rather than a hotel- looks like there are many options on VRBO and Airbnb. Are there particular neighborhoods folks would recommend for families? Hampstead seems to be recommended a lot but I'm sure there are others. I think our main requirement is central enough that we could easily go back for afternoon naps when needed.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 02:18 AM

Absolutely, London in January with a one year old is a great idea. But one thing to note - it's not the cold or rain so much as the dark. Days are short. Hampstead is a bit of a haul. More central would be Bloomsbury and 'city fringe' areas like Clerkenwell or Shoreditch. Not quite sure why you'd need neighbourhoods recommended for families.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 02:42 AM

Not sure why short and dark days bothers anyone, it's not as if London doesn't have electricity. It doesn't impede the enjoyment of the city IMO.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 05:44 AM

Ttt
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 07:36 AM

In January days are short in a great many places. Here in Colorado it starts to get dark around 4:00 maybe 4:30 p.m. No big deal. Assuming anyone traveling in the northern hemisphere realizes that they won't have the same amount of sunlight as they would in June. It shouldn't be a concern. And, it's no colder than it would be in many places in the Midwest. Probably warmer certainly less stormy than in the northern states.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 09:08 AM

>>Hampstead seems to be recommended a lot<<

Hampstead is really lovely but I don't think you will find it 'recommended a lot'. Perhaps you have it confused with some other neighborhood? It is a very upscale 'village' just on the north side of central London and on the edge of the massive Hampstead Heath. That would be great in summer - but trekking through the Heath w/ a toddler in the middle of winter plus being quite a distance for most any sites it probably would not be my choice in your situation.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have stayed in Hampstead, but I once lived in London and have visited it a number of times. I would not recommend it as a place to stay for the average tourist, certainly not a first-timer, nor as a place to visit in winter.

Put Hampstead underground station and any place in Central London you want to visit (the British Museum, Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, South Kensington (for museums)) into https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/ and you will see why.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 09:29 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I've stayed in Hampstead several times and love it. There are few hotels but you'll find private accommodations on sites like http://www.athomeinlondon.co.uk/ and I see https://www.airbnb.com has a number of apartments around the village. The tube in the village is called "Hampstead". There's also an overground station called "Hampstead Heath" but proximity to the tube will be most useful. If you like the village-y feel, nice shops, coffee shops, a Paul bakery and lots more, I recommend it highly. no need whatever to be "trekking through the Heath w/ a toddler in the middle of winter", though if the weather is nice it's a beautiful place to walk.

There are a number of very interesting houses to visit scattered around nearby (walking distance), though it would depend on your interests if they'd be high on your list, as they are on mine. In any case, it's my favorite part of the city to stay, though not as close to the main sights as others. If you're a book lover, there's a branch of my favorite, Daunt's.
http://www.timeout.com/london/things...ead-area-guide
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 10:26 AM

Hampstead is wonderful. I love it and especially the Heath, but it is not a place I'd recommend for a first time visit to London. Thursdaysd is right. It's just not terribly convenient for visiting the major tourist sights in London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -