London in December

Aug 16th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

London in December

Although I have another post about a future trip to Normandy and Edinburgh, my next trip will actually be a short one (4 nights) to London in early December. I have done all of my traveling to Europe between May and September, so this will be my first time in the winter. I am not at all certain what to pack, although I am visualizing NYC at the same time of year.
My activities will include tickets for "Wicked," dinner at The Ritz, and possibly a dinner party at a private club. The rest of the time I will be shopping, having tea at Fortnum & Mason, and a small amount of sightseeing.
I am thinking I could pack mostly black, including a long-sleeved velvet cocktail dress, black dress pants and a more casual pair, and a black skirt that I can use for day or evening with various tops. I don't know whether to take my long black raincoat (with lining) that I could supplement with a pashmina, or a heavier black wool coat. I don't know if I need dressy boots, or just shoes (for dress and walking), and what about a hat?
I really don't want to overpack for such a short trip, so let me know if the dress, 2 slacks, and a skirt will carry me through.
Aug 16th, 2006, 07:24 PM

Almost every early December I visit London, the weather has never been really cold, but I find gloves and a nice black hat make walking outdoors much more pleasnat.
Aug 16th, 2006, 10:06 PM

The important things are:
1. To have comfortable, waterproof clothes (including shoes especially) for walking round in. It's unlikely to be cold (and anyway you can always walk faster or put a scarf on). It certainly won't be cold by New York standards. It absolutely will be damp, probably raining at some point, and almost certainly the pavements will have puddles. No-one, but no-one, bothers about how smart they look on the street. Leave a fancy coat at home
2. That you feel sartorially comfortable at your events. Many women change from boots to high heels when they get indoors: again no-one here ever feels required to dress as smartly on the way to an event as they do at it. Even on first nights at Covent Garden, the truly smart wear anoraks over their evening dresses.
Aug 16th, 2006, 10:22 PM

black raincoat with lining would be better than wool, which is heavy and not good when wet. If you picture NYC in December, London will probably be not as cold. Better to have layers than one heavy item of clothing. And indoors, in shops, is always too hot and you will be carrying your coat in your hand then. What you are planning to take is good; be sure you have two pairs of comfortable shoes/boots for walking, to let one pair get dry if necessary!
I love London in December; have a great time!
Aug 17th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

This was great advice. I know now to leave home the wool coat and take the lined raincoat. I am not sure if I will take boots, but I will pack 2 pairs of walking shoes.
When you say you change from boots to high heels at the event, where do you leave the boots?
I will take a pashmina to throw over the raincoat in case it is cooler than expected, and I'll definately remember my umbrella!
I assume everyone agreed with my wardrobe foundation of a black velvet dress, 2 pairs of slacks, and 1 black skirt. I'll work from there and try to keep it light. Leaving the wool coat home will help....
Aug 17th, 2006, 08:04 AM

"When you say you change from boots to high heels at the event, where do you leave the boots?"

Just about any venue will have a cloak/check room. Theatres, museums, clubs, large restaurants and so on - so you'd leave the coat/boots/packages/umbrella/whatever at the coat check.
Aug 18th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Oh, that's so obvious about the cloak room. Believe it or not, I was not even thinking about that--I was picturing leaving my boots inside the door somewhere. Just chalk it up to being tired when I wrote that!
I do appreciate all the advice--including that about the cloak room!
Aug 19th, 2006, 04:49 PM

"a small amount of sightseeing"... make sure you schedule this bit earlier in the day, as it does get dark around 3:30-4pm in December.
Aug 19th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that tip about daylight. Just so you know (and don't think I'm oblivious to the wonders of London) I've been to London twice, and I will be returning again next June, so it is not that I'm neglecting sightseeing.
This trip in December, however, is a bit different--I'm going with a friend who is planning the itinerary around theater and social events. I'm fine with that, since I know it's not my first and only trip to London.
It is my first trip during the winter, however, which is why I was wondering about the kinds of clothing to pack. But, I think I have it all thought out now, thanks to the lovely posters at Fodors.