Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Hotels cash in..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4662809.stm
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:35 AM

Despite the tragic evil that was perpetrated yesterday, I have been truly warmed by the generosity of thought and spirit of people around the world, friends and strangers alike.

THIS however, whilst it doesn't shock me (unfortunately), it deeply saddens me.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:40 AM

This is appalling...I hope the names of the hotels that did this are published. (Along with the names of the hotels who went out of their way to help people without price gouging.)
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:45 AM

I agree that the hotels should be named and shamed but it's a shame the BBC didn't run a more balanced article including stories of those hotels that gave free rooms to stranded travellers, particularly the Hilton Metropole and businesses like Marks and Spencer, and Burger King who were giving away food and clothing to those affected and catering to the emergency services.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:54 AM

That is truly disgraceful and they should be named. I certainly would not patronize any of them and I'd like to know who they are before I book for our upcoming trip!
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 03:03 AM

Before everyone works themselves up into a frenzy, go back and read the story.

Then show me a real, verifiable, example of profiteering in it. "Normally" doesn't cut it. How do we know the whingers are comparing yesterday morning's rack rate with yesterday afternoon's?

Far, far, more likely is that they're comparing deals struck on Priceline for slack days with the walk-up rate on a day most hotels were close to full anyway.

I don't know that, and neither do any other posters. But the BBC story is simply sloppy rumour-mongering.

If the claims are true, it beggars belief that the BBC are incapable of quoting a real example.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 03:10 AM

I thought it was a poor article - full of inference with no direct facts.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:20 AM

I think the silliest part of the article was lastminute.com mentioning that the rates had been set by hotels themselves. Isn't lastminute.com a place where hotels list rooms at the last minute because they can't fill them so sometimes they become really cheap? And weren't most hotels full? Doesn't that say it all right there?
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:40 AM

The comments from readers were more enlightening than the article itself. One reader said that rates for police at one hotel were raised from £270 from £85. And what about this comment?

"I had to stay in a hotel that cost me £270 when normally the price is £65. Its pathetic that they are cashing in during such bad circumstances.
Matthew Montichinos"

IF that is the case--and Flanner has absolutely NO evidence that Mr. Montichinos is a lying "whinger"--then it is appalling.

David, the story I read did mention the Hilton Metropole, M & S and Burger King:

"The Hilton Metropole, located near the Edgware Road bomb blast, was used as an emergency treatment centre for casualties.

The Marks & Spencer department store on Edgware Road also allowed rescue staff to use it as a treatment unit, gave food and water to rescue teams and casualties, and also provided blankets and clothing.

A spokeswoman said: ""They just did whatever they had to do. The priority was making sure the casualties were OK. That meant giving them blankets and clothing from the shop floor.

"It's what anybody would do in that situation. We are part of the community."

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 06:19 AM

I am sure most fodorites would like to know where Matthew Montichinos usually stays for £65 per night in central London?
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 06:22 AM

Yes please, perhaps it was EasyHotel.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 06:23 AM

BTilke – I see that the BBC article has been updated since early this morning when no mention of M&S etc was made and it was simply a short article about profiteering hotels
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 06:35 AM

David, I don't see where Mr. Montichinos said it was central London...perhaps it was at the edge of town and he was a Kings Cross commuter. He didn't say. But he also didn't say anything to warrant being labeled a Priceline whinger.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 10:33 AM

Flanneruk is correct, it was a sloppy article which, sadly, is typical of the bbc's news department over the last few years.

A hastily put together story around the urban myth that prices spike astronomically after a disaster. Beeb reported same thing on 9/11, the gas station in Indianapolis that was charging $5/ gallon. Didn't happen. Urban myth.

Ever sadder are the people who start threads like this.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

My dear stellarossa,
This story is in my opinion of interest to a travel forum, the members of which are frequently visiting or planning visits to London.

Now no matter how accurate or innac urate this article is (I have made no comment but have my opinions) it is in everyones interest to make their own judgement which many people here have done, (bye the way; none of which seem to have been any more factual than the original article) Please don't call me 'sad' for drawing attention to something already in the public domain.

Mucky
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 11:06 AM

This has also been reported by a bloke on Tripadvisor.com named Capo. (There used to be a poster here by that name. I don't know if they are one and the same.)

Are there any other Brits who are surprised that the Queen has not addressed the nation this time of crisis?? Afterall, her father addressed the nation during the Blitz. I think it would be very comforting.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 11:08 AM

Wow, Capo, a frequent Fodor's visitor from the past. I wonder if they are still here with a different name? Lots of good advice.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Hi ThinGorjus,
I saw an address of some kind by HRH around 2 hours ago, and she has been in London hospitals too as far as I can see. Well reported on the TV news here.

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 11:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thin, I read somewhere that the Queen and Prince Charles were visiting the injured in hospitals this afternoon.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 11:28 AM

Well, I am glad the Queen is doing her bit. The American news programmes have not reported this. The only good reporting we are getting here is from Chistiane Amanpour of CNN. The American presenters are horrible, especially that Diane Sawyer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -