Reload this Page >

London Hotel Help Badly Needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 09:58 AM
catalana

I have done a number of searches here and on other websites and am really striking out trying to figure out a hotel in London for a 5 day trip over Thanksgiving. Will be travelling with husband and my mom, so we need two rooms. <BR> <BR>Typically my husband and I stay in small hotels or B&B's, often with shared bath. This trip, however, we are thinking of a larger more traditional hotel, and I don't know a thing about such places in London. My mom seems to be more comfortable in a larger place (not huge, but at least 20 rooms or so) and I will be 7 months pregnant, so full en suite facilities will be necessary, and lifts could be a help. <BR> <BR>In the past we have always stayed in Bloomsbury, the closer to the Brit. Museum the better. We would like to do the same on this trip, although we are open to the S.Kensington area if we are very close to a tube stop. If the values are better at hotels in Kensington, we'd like to know that. <BR> <BR>We would like to spend around 100 pounds (doesn't everyone). We def. don't need fancy - just clean, comfortable basic rooms with firm mattresses and hopefully not too institutional feeling. <BR> <BR>Considering the Thistle Bloomsbury Park, and also the Park International (near Glouchester Street Tube stop). Would really appreciate any suggestions or insights. <BR> <BR>Catalana <BR>

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 10:05 AM
rita bryant

I stayed recently in the Thistle Royal Horseguard and it was AWESOME!!! Very convenient to a tube, also. I booked it in a "deal" from Brit Air so I do not know the actual $ for just a room. Good luck!

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Laura

Catalana, I think the Thistle matches dollars for pounds....if it costs 125 pounds they will charge you 125 dollars. I have stayed at the Hotel Russell several times.....I think that is in your price range and your mom will love all the marble in the entrance. Be sure and ask for the refurbished rooms. It is just across Russell Square from the British Museum and around the block from the tube. Very conveniently located.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 10:23 AM
Laura

Catalana, the phone number for the Russell that I have is: <BR> <BR>020 7837 6470 <BR>check out this site: <BR> <BR>http://www.principalhotels.co.uk/lon...n_russell.html <BR> <BR>Call them and ask for the least expensive rooms, and after they quote you that, ask them if they have any weekend rates or getaway break rates, and after all that, ask them to see if they have anything cheaper. We always get a room for a lot less than they originally quoted us with this method. Good luck! <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Mary

A couple of years ago my daughter, mother and I stayed at the London Guard in Lancaster Gate. It's in Bayswater, very close to the Hyde Park and Oxford Street, and it's on a very quiet street. We stayed there at the beginning and end of our tip and both rooms were huge and recently renovated. One had two separate sleeping areas. It's a bit more expensive than you asked for, but it might be worth finding out if they have some kind of suite for four with two bedrooms. There's a listing for them on the London Hotels website at &lt;http://www.londonhotelscentre.com/longuard.htm&gt; <BR>

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 10:40 AM
Beth

Fi you like the Bloomsbury area, try the Radisson Edwardian Kenilworth around the corner from British Museum. It may be out of your prie range, but that time of year should have some discounts where it may be in your range. I secon the idea of stayinng at the Thistle Hotel as they match dollars for pounds making it cheaper for Americans. these are definitely stripped down hotels though. They have a full bathroom but no fancy amenities. We stayed at the Thistle MArble Arch once on a trip in college as it was less expensive and it was in the BEST location for getting around. That was my first time to London and staying right next to the Marble Arch at a tube stop and at the main starting point for the Hop on Hop off bus tours was GREAT. Of course now that I'm older and married wwe tend to stay in more deluxe hotels (though still not 5 star) the Radisson group is perfect for us.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 10:55 AM
Bill I

My family & I have also stayed a number of times at the Hotel Russell. We really like it. We like the area, the closeness to the tube - 1 block from Russell Square stop. The Airbus from Heathrow stops right across the street. Good restaurants in the area, including The Virginia Woolfe at the hotel. The staff have always been exceptionally helpful & courteous. They have triple rooms which we have stayed in, but last time, all 4 of stayed in the same room. They only display triples, but they gave us the largest room they had & all 4 of us had plenty of room there. They Bathroom was larger than most rooms that I have seen, also had a nice sitting area that overlooked the street. & they worked with us on the price & because we can get a travel industry rate, & were repeat customers, we got the largest room, with 4 people, for the cost of 1/2 a triple. & If I recall correctly, they have 2 or 3 enclosed lifts.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 01:01 PM
Elizabeth

There's a current thread about the Russell Hotel giving it mixed reviews. <BR> <BR> Info in case it's helpful: I stayed at the Shaw Park Plaza Hotel for less then 100 pounds a night (it was about $160 including every single weird little tax etc.)(in August). It is at the border of Bloomsbury, near the Euston & Kings Cross/St Pancras tube stations. Directly across from the British Library. <BR> <BR> I found this deal on the Internet, probably at Expedia. <BR> <BR> It was what I wanted, big and very modern and up to date--I had a big room with a nice bathroom, and wonderful air-conditioning. <BR> <BR> Continental breakfast was included, which was pretty generous, included cold cuts & fruit (but not the hot food). <BR> <BR> I felt fine in the neighborhood, though it is not fancy. I would not however walk around in the train stations by myself at night--though I would with another person, especially a man. So I took a taxi home from the theatre, which was not a big deal or a problem. <BR> <BR> Anyhow, it provides American-style smooth functioning & comfort, in a pretty good location, and at a good price. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 02:58 PM
Escritora

Catalana--Have you taken a look at the discount offer on londontown.com (the city's official website)? I got a nice deal there for my trip this past March, and some of the hotels mentioned in this thread (especially Thistles and Radissons) are prominent among the offerings. Definitely do price comparisons there before you finalize your choice and make your reservation.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 06:12 PM
Jane

I rather like the South Kensington area, and the Park Hotel International on Cromwell Road, closer to Earls Court. It's just down the road from the Gloucester Road Tube Stop with a great bus line into Kensington. There are several restaurants in the area and other services including a Sainsburys down the block. <BR> <BR>The hotel is not too big, clean, has a web site and lift and a small restaurant and bar. Hope this helps. <BR> <BR>Jane in PHilly

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 04:48 AM
susie

The Thistle and some of the other chains only run specials when they need business. If travel is light, you might be able to get one of them. There are two "budget" hotels with pretty good locations. klThey are TravelLodge. One is across the river from the Tower of London and the other one is near Euston Station. You might also check out the Ibis near Euston. It is a member of the Accor chain. Or you could just call Accor. <BR> <BR>Most of the hotels in London are very expensive. The ones that I mentioned are clean, etc. I think that the Travel Lodges might also have a pull out sofa for family. One of them even has a web site.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 09:28 AM
kam

The London Elizabeth is at Lancaster Gate of Hyde Park and is generally reasonable, well decorated, lovely staff and a good place for your mother. Convenient to tube and walking in the park. However, we just returned from London where we stayed at the Mayfair Intercontinental, a wonderful traditional London hotel, but not huge, for $169/night with breakfast and VAT included. Be aware that the VAT is 17% and so makes a big difference. The breakfast was a huge buffet with everything you could imagine included and it's a very short walk from the Green Park tube. I found this rate on a website--as I recall it was InLondon.com???

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 11:25 AM
cd

Catalana-Would you consider an apartment? We have stayed in London many times, usually hotels, then one year decided to rent a flat, it was the best! Gon online and look at what is available at Manors & Co.It was just my husband and I but friends have met other friends there and rented 2 & 3 bedrooms. The flats are all beautifully decorated, have full baths,kitchens,and are very secure.We stayed in So.Kensington,right around the corner from the So Kensington Tube station.The web address is www.manors.co.uk-I found it perfect to be able to sort of spread out at the end of a day of walking all over London, and sip some tea and get ready for the evening.They have daily maid service and a car will pick you up at the airport for an extra fee.Good luck!

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Duncan in the UK

I chatted to some Americans who were staying in the Forte Posthouse in Kensington. They seemed very pleased with it. I'm sorry - I don't know how much it costs, but it is very close to Hyde Park and close to major stores and other areas in the centre of London. Also, across the road is a very good muffin shop, where you can eat in, a very good place if you want an English tea or lunch. The website is www.posthouse-hotels.co.uk

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 01:43 PM
Catalana

Thanks for all your suggestions - this has helped me narrow down the field a bit. Cheers, Catalana

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 09:29 AM
sue

If you go to londontown.com and click on hotel offers, you will find that the Thistle Bloomsbury Park on Southampton Row has a rate of 92 GBP for your dates. We stayed at the Bedford, also on Southampton Row (near Russell Square) and its rates are also 92 GBP. It was a large hotel, pretty basic (huge buffet breakfast) but has a pretty garden in back. website imperialhotels.co.uk <BR>The Bedford is one of several big hotels in the Imperial Hotels chain in the area, but possibly the least impersonal.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 09:32 AM
Sue

The Bedford's price includes breakfast and VAT. The Bloomsbury Park does not include VAT.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Sue

The Bedford is about 3 blocks from the museum and it does have a lift. (sorry I'm so scattered this morning)

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 09:43 AM
Sue

Sorry again. One other thought: the Bedford is right across the street from a bus stop, possibly a better means of transportation for yourself and your mother than the tube.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 07:28 PM
connie

I was looking at staying at Thistle King's Cross hotel - has anyone been there? And how does that work with them matching dollars for pounds - do you have to ask for that or does Thistle hotels always do that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -