London Hotel for @ 100GBP/night

Old Jan 1st, 2009, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Hotel for @ 100GBP/night

Am travelling to London in mid Jan - staying at Crowne Plaza London City for business but then want to move to a different area for the weekend. Is the budget unrealistic ($150 USD)for a twin room? I just spent a few hours surfing websites (londontown, londonnights, orbitz, roomsnet) in search of hotels/areas. Never did priceline so am unsure about that. Any recomendations? Thanks and Happy New Year!
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 06:13 AM
tod

Hi Gina,
I too have never bid on a hotel room in London but may just take the bull by the horns and if guided by our friendly Fodorite family on exactly how to go about it - may just give it a try later in the year!
We always just book a double room at The Ibis Euston for around 89 pounds. We like being opposite the Euston station & bus rank.
Happy New Year to you also!
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 06:23 AM

You might find something in this Time's article

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/tra...cle4676526.ece
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 06:46 AM
tod

Thanks Avalon - I have added my name to the mailing list for a one pound room - !
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 07:13 AM

Priceline is the best way to get the most for your money in London. 4* hotels are regularly won for under $100/night (yes dollars). To become more familiar with bidding and the hotels and areas go to biddingfortravel.com and/or betterbidding.com Both will help construct bids, both list what other people have won and for how much and both have lists of hotels by area and by star level. Here's the London link for bft
http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/for...nd-London.html
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 11:39 AM

I just got the 5* Marriot Grosvenor house for $155 US per night for late January. It would be easy to get a twin in a decent hotel for your budget, but remember that Priceline doesn't guarantee the room types - just that they will accommodate 2 people, so you might end up with a double rather than a twin.

The Rembrandt in Knightsbridge/S. Kensington has a special on their website for 99 GBP for some rooms, including VAT and full breakfast. It's the hotel I usually stay at - generally a good one (most rooms have been redone), with a great location right across from the V&A and just down the street from horrible Harrod's. Breakfast at that price is a real bonus.

You might also check the BA Holidays site - some decent hotel deals on there too, many with some sort of breakfast included, but again check hotel reviews. The Rembrandt is on there as well.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 11:43 AM

Consider this wonderful hotel in a fun part of town

http://www.hoxtonhotels.com/
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 01:54 PM

As Taggie says, if you can get the Rembrandt for that price, go for it. Lots of restaurants & shopping plus you're just a few blocks from the S. Kensington tube which can get you everywhere.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 03:06 PM

PRICELINE!. Sorry for the caps, but it is the best choice for a weekend trip. You can find a 4* (decent, but not exciting) for that in pretty much any Priceline zone for less than $150. The cheapest zone is usually South Kensington, which can usually be had for $100 or less, but the other central zones should have something if you want to spend more money.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice. I'm looking into the Rembrandt as well as the link for hotels under 100 GBP. Am also hoping to make a bid on priceline - lots of information for a newbie but sounds like with a little research, I could get a good deal for a 4* in the neighborhood of my choice!
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:57 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>Am also hoping to make a bid on priceline</i>&quot;

You probably already know this - but just to make sure - You don't bid on Priceline just to &quot;see if I get a good deal&quot;. If you bid and the bid is accepted, that's it. The $$ id charged to your credit card and then you find out which hotel you got. There is no going back and canceling.

Priceline is absolutely great for London -- but it isn't for shopping for hotels. It is for bidding and taking what you get. That's why it is <u>really</u> important to study those sites mclaurie linked.

Then before you actually bid, maybe come back here and ask if the bid looks OK . . . . .

If you do end up using PL, the first time is scary, but you'll get the hang of it and be hooked
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

I've been looking for straight out deals for hotels (on the hotel websites) as well as looking to Name My Price on priceline. I've been to the site mclaurie recommended and have asked for assistance on that site on bidding on priceline. There is so much information and I messed up by asking for assistance when I cannot actual bid yet but am hoping when the time comes, I have a good strategy. Everyone has been very helpful. But you're right janisj, it is scary the first time. LOL.

Thanks!
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM

&quot;when I cannot actual bid yet&quot;
Why not? You should consider booking something that's cancelable just in case.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 03:11 PM

I think the OP means she can't book yet on PL (maybe her plans aren't firm or she doesn't know her areas well enough) - and she shouldn't if her plans aren't definite because she CAN'T cancel a PL booking. But I do agree that she should get going as mid-january is fast approaching.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

I couldn't actually bid yet - as I had to wait the 24 hours to re-bid as well as my plans became tentative. Once my plans firmed up again, I placed a $90 bid yesterday for 4* in Mayfair/Soho via Name Your Price on priceline. It was countered with $115. I declined. Waited the 24 hours and bid today for $95 and it was accepted. I'm staying at the Hilton London Green Park. When I went to the Hilton website, the least expensive room I could find was for $179-almost double what I'm paying.

So I could become a priceline junkie now ;-)

As always, thanks for your help. I trust fodorites opinions and advice!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 01:17 PM
yk

That's fantastic! What a great deal, and the location of Hilton Green Park is perfect. Congrats on your PL bid.

If you are a Hilton Honors member, it won't hurt to email the hotel (in a few days) to ask them to enter you HH#, plus request for a twin room (sounds like that's what you want in your OP). Most likely than not, they will honor your request.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Great idea, yk. I am a Gold VIP HHilton member. I read that you can't accumulate points for PL bookings but it doesn't hurt to ask! Yes, 2 twins would be ideal too! Will post back if I am successful.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 01:46 PM
yk

Gina - given that you are an VIP, I'd definitely email the hotel in advance to have them tag your PL reservation with your VIP#. Yes, you WON'T get any points with the PL stay, but you *may* still get a higher floor room or other VIP perks despite it's booked via PL.

If you have any extra charge, eg breakfast @ hotel, room service or wireless internet charges, those should count as points for you.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 02:45 PM

Funny, I just stayed at the Crown Plaza- the City this past weekend. It's a pretty nice hotel. Got it for something like $140 CAN on Hotwire. I was just going to recommend Hotwire but I see you got something good on Priceline. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 04:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You did great! The Green Park Hilton is in a terrific location and is a very nice property.

That's what folks were paying for the Olympia Hilton a few months ago. Green Park is MUCH better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -