london hotel

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 04:34 PM
travelman

london hotel

Hello everyone.
If anyone stayed in Hotel City Barbican in
London please share your impression. I have a Great rate in june and I need to know if its a good choice.How is the neighbourhood ?
Thanx in advance.Travelman

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 04:57 PM
bettyk

From a previous post (did a search on "Barbican"):

Message: An awful LOT depends on the purpose of your trip. Thistle hotels are fine -- but this one is not at all convenient for a leisure trip. If it is for business you would be near several business centers. But for a vacation you would find this really out of the way.

It is in an area that is very quiet at night and I would be very careful about walking from Old Street tube station late at night after the theatre for example.

The Hotel itself is very nice - but not near anything you would want to see -- It is even a long walk from the Barbican.

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 06:30 PM
travelman

Thanx bettyk.Your right I need convinience to see all the sights.
The rate was great 76 pounds per night.
any recomendations fodorites? Travelman

PS.2 people,5 nights

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 04:36 AM
Philip

I'm not sure what level of comfort you like, but for 75 pounds per night (NOT including breakfast) you could stay at the Travel Inn County Hall. It is a very basic hotel, but clean and well kept.

This hotel is right near the London Eye and Waterloo Station and is across the Thames from Big Ben/Parliament. The hotel has a restaurant & bar. Across the street there is a nice bagel shop as well as a Starbucks. And a McDonald's around the corner, as well as a few other restaurants near by.

About two blocks from the hotel there are 3 underground lines (Northern, Bakerloo & Jubilee) and if you cross Westminster Bridge there are two more (Circle & District).

You can make reservations at www.travelinn.com

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 05:30 AM
dan

We considered the thistle city barbican also, but wound up with a good deal at the thistle kensington palace. 59 GBP per night in January on Londontown.com

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 08:00 AM
Greg

T-man,

We stayed in Earl's Court recently at the Hotel Buosi. It is in a good locatio, near the tube, in a quiet neighborhood. It was 55 GBP per night per room + private bath + breakfast. There was no lift, but it was a clean, pleasant place to stay. Have a good trip.

Greg

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 08:08 AM
cathy

I just got a great rate of 64 GBP inc. VAT in December at Thistle Bloomsbury hotel. June will probably be more in demand, but may be worth asking them for a good rate. ALso try smoothhound.com for lots of discounted rates.

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 10:51 AM
bettyk

Travelman, there are several hotel discounters such as http://www.hotel-london.co.uk/site/b...ge=Mid%20Range. Looking at mid-range hotels, they show a twin at the Burns Hotel for 95 Pounds. The Burns has received good reviews on this website. We are booked in May at the Park Int'l Hotel right near the Gloucester Road tube station in Kensington for 89 Pounds. Haven't stayed there before but it looks nice and the reviews by other Fodorites have been positive. You can check it out at http://www.parkinternationalhotel.com/.

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 04:05 PM
Manny

Travelman,

I stayed at the Burns Hotel last year. I was very satisfied with it. Good location. You can also find them listed on www.hotel-assist.com Last time I checked they were offering specials for around 77 bp/night which includes taxes and full english breakfast. They have a great breakfast whether full english or continental. Meals in their restaurant were very good.
Manny

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 06:11 PM
Teddie

Has anyone stayed at the Garden Court Hotel in the Bayswater area? For January 2002 we received a rate of 90 pound a night for a triple, including full breakfast...I placed a refundable deposit, but I'm still scouting around...

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 08:28 PM
Phyllis

Kathy, Saw your post about Thistle Bloomsbury for 64 GBP inc. VAT in December. Where did you find that rate. I was interested in the hotel, but didn't see any rates close to that.My daughter and I will be staying in London December 28-30th, then on to Dublin. We are looking for a hotel close to the many attractions and the tube. Thanks

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 06:50 AM
bettyk

Phyllis, try www.londontown.com. I found numerous 4* hotels at rates below 60 and 70 Pounds per night (not including VAT though) for the dates you mentioned. Also try www.lastminute.com and www.laterooms.com. I found several good deals on these sites also. Good luck.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 08:40 AM
cathy

Phyllis, I got it from the Thistle website, thistlehotels.com. If the offer isn't currently available there, try emailing [email protected]. It was a weekend rate, available only for Fri, Sat & Sun. but a great deal for a 4* well located.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 03:39 PM
Phyllis

Betty K and Cathy,
Thank you for the information. I will check these sites.