Search

London hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London hotel

Does anyone have a suggestion for a London hotel, near transportation for a family of four with teenagers?
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:55 AM

Days Inn Waterloo

Clean, modern, adequately sized, and 5 minutes from Lambeth North tube station.

If the teens are under 18, they can ride the tube and bus anywhere in London for £0.80 on a Family Day Travelcard.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 10:08 AM

First of all, "near transportation" covers literally hundreds of hotels in London.

The Days Inn Waterloo mentioned above is not a terrible place but it is not near anything except the Imperial War Museum. Despite its name, it isn't even that close to Waterloo station.

For a family of 4 almost any hotel room will be VERY crowded. I would definitely suggest you rent a flat instead. There are economical 1 bdrm apartments all over London - most in good locations, that would be a LOT more comfortable for 2 adults w/ 2 teens. Bedroom, Living room, Full kitchen/washer/dryer, etc. For about the same price as a cramped hotel room.

There are many threads already on here about apartments in London. if you do a search you'll find MANY recommendations.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 10:46 AM

The sights of London are pretty spread out, so no matter <i>where</i> you stay, once you've exhausted the nearby ones, you'll need a ride to somewhere or other.

The #159 bus stops right outside the Days Inn, goes past the aquarium and Eye, across Westminster bridge, passes the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus, Oxford Circus, and terminates at Marble Arch. Along the way, there are dozens of connections with other lines going every which way throughout the extended city.

If you'd rather pay extra for a downgraded accommodation just because it's close to something or other, knock yourself out.

The 7 Day Bus Pass season ticket is &pound;11 for adults and &pound;4 for children. It covers <b>all</b> of Greater London (all the way to Heathrow, if you can stand it!)

The Tourist Bus map is here:

<b>http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/cen_bus.pdf</b>
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 11:39 AM
jay

I dont know what your budget was but we recently stayed at the Reubens at the palace. It is 2 blocks from victoria station. It was expensive but not too bad and across the street from the Royal Mews. I dont know how big the rooms go to but the hotel is great and have a big buffet breakfast in the morning that would help keep the kids fed for most of the day. You may have to get two rooms. The hotel is fantastic for the price as european hotels go.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 03:11 PM

Robespierre: You frequently recommend the Days Inn -- as I said it is definitely NOT a terrible property. But it also is NOT near any tourist attractions execpt the Imp. War Museum. No one (well, no sensible person) would &quot;rather pay extra for a downgraded accommodation just because it's close to something or other&quot;. You really don't have to &quot;downgrade&quot; to stay in a nicer neighborhood near parks, and major sites.

if I was traveling w/ kids I personally would not want to stay somewhere where we would have to get on a bus every time we wanted to go anywhere. Even w/ a transit pass (which most folks get anyway) it is much nicer to be close to SOMETHING.

My point is that a family needs to be concerned with 1) enough space, 2) sites nearby, 3) easy public transport, 4) enough space, 5 ) a good selection of inexpensive/moderate restaurants nearby, 7) Oh, and did I say enough space . . . . .

The Days Inn really isn't the only decent place in London with good rates.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 03:35 PM

First of all, janis, let's get one thing straight: I never said DIW was the only hotel in London. I have no idea where you got such a preposterous notion. OP asked if anyone had a suggestion; I made one; you jumped all over it for reasons I can only guess.

As far as proximity to sights is concerned: maybe you didn't understand what I said. Let's say you are in a place that is close enough to A, B, and C that you can walk to them without wasting your vacation on foot. Fine. You do those. Now what? Now you have to get on a bus, taxi or tube to get to D through W. So is being close enough to A, B, and C worth the price differential? I suggest OP consider this. Incidentally, DIW is 5 minutes from Whitehall.

I have stayed in a number of Edwardian conversions close to parks and sights, and I didn't like them (how much park time do you need, anyway?)
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 03:39 PM

There are a lot of benefits to renting an apartment or flat rather than a hotel room(s) in London. And it's often cheaper than one or two hotel rooms for the week. You will have a lot more room to unpack and settle in, and with a living room, there is space to properly relax after a long day of touring.

Having a kitchen can also mean a big savings on the food bill. A quick stop at a grocery store and you can make breakfast in, keep beverages and snacks on hand and maybe prepare a meal or two. Eating in restaurants for every meal can really add up.

Here are some websites for apartment rentals in central London...

Scala House: <b>www.scala-house.co.uk</b>

Citadines: <b>www.citadines.com</b>

2 Hyde Park Square: <b>www.2hydeparksquare.com</b>

Dolphin Square Hotel: <b>www.dolphinsquarehotel.co.uk</b>

Allen House: <b>www.allenhouse.co.uk</b>

In th English Manner: <b>www.english-manner.co.uk</b>

A Place Like Home: <b>http://aplacelikehomelondon.co.uk</b>

Price Apartments: <b>www.priceapts.co.uk</b>

Paramount Rentals: <b>www.paramountrentals.com</b>

London Connection: <b>www.londonconnection.com</b>

Regent Suites: <b>www.regentsuites.com</b>

London Serviced Apartments: <b>www.londonservicedapartments.co.uk</b>

London Apartments: <b>www.lfca.co.uk</b>

London Accommodation: <b>www.londonaccommodation.net</b>

Chelsea Cloisters: <b>www.chelsea-cloisters.co.uk</b>

London Bridge Hotel: <b>www.londonbridgehotel.com</b>

London House Apartments: <b>www.london-house.com</b>

Central London Apartments: <b>www.cenlonap.co.uk</b>

Yourstay.com: <b>www.yourstay.com</b>
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 06:36 PM

I second the Days Inn Waterloo, it is in a great location, don't listen to Janis. You can get a room for about 60 pounds per night from the days inn website. The rooms are clean, modern, and big. You won't come back with complaints about old, small, dirty, unfriendly hotels like other visitors to London do, and you'll also pay less than them.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 06:41 PM

susawhite: Kayb95 has provided a GREAT resource list, I've referred people to several of those agencies. A couple of them are a bit on the pricey side, but most have really good rates. And some even show up on discount booking sites and/or Priceline.

The only one I'd add to it is E&amp;E Apartmemnts - but I only have their e-mail address. [email protected] These folks offer very moderately priced studio, 1 and 2 bdrm flats in Victoria/Pimlico - very near to the Dolphin Square that is on the list.

Robespierre: you sure are testy today. First essentially telling folks if they want to stay in a nice area they'll have to stay in a dump - that &quot;pay extra for a downgraded accommodation&quot; bit. And then on another thread taking on about 20 folks because they are stupid enough to enjoy their iPods. Really making friends, huh?

My point on this and similar threads is - trying to squeeze an American family used to much larger houses/rooms, into a cramped hotel room in London does not make sense. They should try to rent an apartment. And most vacation rentals are in much better areas than the Waterloo Days Inn.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 07:55 PM

I offered a suggestion. OP is free to accept or reject it. My family of 5 found it more than adequate. If my suggestion conflicted with anyone's preconceived notions, I deny any responsibility for that.

My iPod question was responded to by enough people who thought the only alternative was a laptop to answer my question.

Testy today? Naw - I'm always like this.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 06:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with janis and Kayb95 that an apartment would be an excellent option for you. In the case of the Scala House, there are two BRs and a bath and a half. The extra half bath would certainly come in handy with teens!

For reference, if your teens are older, the age eligibility for a Day Family Travel Card is 16 and under.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 06:56 AM

Investigate the Travel Inn, in County Hall near the London Eye. I believe they have larger rooms for families.

The location certainly meets your criteria.

Jim
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 07:31 AM

<b>16-17 year olds travel at child rate</b>
16-17 year olds with a '16-17' photocard can buy 7-day, monthly or longer period Travelcards and Bus Passes at the child rate.

<i>Transport for London
Fares and tickets
2 January 2005 until further notice
p.10</i>
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 07:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Agreed, they can buy it at the child rate but not as a part of the Family Day Travel Card.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 09:04 AM

We stayed at the Citadines on Northumberland near Traflgar Square with our teenager. Two bedroom unit with living room/kitchnette. Modest accomdations but great rate. Our son enjoyed being able to walk over to Leceister (sp?) Square in the evening and take in all the action. We loved the location - near major tube stops, next to the Thames, Leceister Square, theatres, walking distance to Buckingham Palace and Parliment building. Also very close to fast food type places which made it easy in the morning to grab pastries, fruit and coffees.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 09:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
susawhite, whether you should rent a flat or go to a hotel dependes on how long wyou will actually be in London. If it's only two or three nights, then a hotel may be your only option.

Last year, our family of four, including two older teen/early twenties boys stayed at the Royal Horseguards for three nights, in two rooms. We booked through www.londontown.com. Then we went on to Edinburgh for ten nights and rented a flat there. The kids much preferred being in the flat, although the hotel was very nice.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 09:51 AM

&quot;If it's only two or three nights, then a hotel may be your only option.&quot;

Actually, not true. While a lot of flats do rent by the week, MANY rent by the night, or maybe a 3 night minimum. But it is true that if I was only in London for 1 night I probably wouldn't bother w/ an apartment.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 10:10 AM

I have family/friends who stayed in the Citadines Trafalgar Square facility for only a few nights. THere was a front desk staffed 24-7. They liked it too; spartan perhaps, but clean and incredibly well-located, and less than a hotel.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:46 PM

Hi...just a quick message for anyone thinking about renting a London, Paris or New York rental from yourstay.com. Rent at your own risk!! Please read this first:

http://notyourstay.0catch.com/

Have a good night!

Leigh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -