London Honeymoon Advice

Search

London Honeymoon Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Honeymoon Advice

Hello everyone. We are going to London for our honeymoon in late October. What area of London do you recommend? We would like to get a feel for what it may be like to live in London (fiancee may get transferred there next year) Any other advice you have for a first time visitor would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Heather
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 08:44 AM
ira

Hi Heather,

I suggest the Bloomsbury area.

I think you will love London.

Remember to "mind the gap" on the Tube.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

What does "mind the gap" mean?
Thanks
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 08:57 AM
ira

Hi heather,

Wait until you get there.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 10:51 AM

For visiting, I much prefer West London -- Kensington, Holland Park, Notting Hill. There are a lot of hotels in South Kensington, which is a beautiful area and very close to Hyde Park. If you want to get a feel for living there, I would definitely look into renting a flat for a week instead of staying in a hotel. Very different experience.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 11:13 AM

If your fiance gets transferred, will the co. pay for housing? If so, do they have particular flats for employees? Where are they? Where would his office be? London is VERY expensive for housing. I know people who have been posted there & were put up in Mayfair & Kensington in flats they could never afford themselves if they were paying the rent. If you'll have to pay yourself, you may be forced to live on the outskirts or in the 'burbs.

When I met my husband who's English, he was living in Maida Vale, a nice residential neighborhood near Holland Park & St. John's Wood. There are some hotels there but I'm not sure that's where I would choose to be for a honeymoon/vacation.

I agree in principal that renting a flat is a better way to get a feel for living in a city but may not be the experience that you want for a honeymoon.

I'd concentrate on the honeymoon and maybe do some housing research before and during your stay. There's a website for expats in London that someone posted here (try doing a text search here expats AND london). Perhaps you could hook up on line with some expats who you could meet while you're over there.

Meantime, tell us what your budget is for the honeymoon & what your interests are (and whether you'd be interested in renting a flat) to get ideas on a hotel.