Search

London Holiday Season Nov 29-Dec 7

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2019, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Holiday Season Nov 29-Dec 7

Hi All,

I am going on a quick week to London leaving Thanksgiving night and arriving mid morning on Nov 29. I have never been to London at this time of the year (7 prior visits) and am researching ideas for a group trip back in 2020. My plan is to see as many of the London Christmas Markets as possible and am looking at ideas for other sites and attractions that are memorable during the holiday season.
My questions are:
1. I plan on visiting the Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park, what are some other Christmas Markets/attractions you have enjoyed?
2. I have tickets to Christmas at Kew on Dec 4 at 17:40. What can I do in the Kew area for the afternoon before my admission time. I have never been to Kew, but not sure if it is worth paying full price to see it in December.
3. I am going to Bath for the day on Dec 5.(never been) What are the top sights I can see from late morning to late afternoon. I do love architecture and plan on the Roman Baths and Bath Abbey, how far of a walk is it to the Royal Crescent or other architectural attractions? I plan on spending time at the Christmas Market in the evening until my train returns to London at 19:43.

All other ideas are welcome. I want to make the most of this trip, and have other plans and reservations made for London but have time most days to explore other ideas.

Thanks, Rich.
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 07:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Rich, all of Bath is walkable so unless you are disabled it is easy though the Crescent is up a hill. You might also like the Circus (a full circle of Crescent and Pulteney Bridge. December has short days, NB London is north of Quebec, but warmer, so days are short and darkness comes abut 3:30 in the afternoon.

Kew at 17:50, well it will be dark, so I assume they have some lights on.
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 07:51 AM

<<I have tickets to Christmas at Kew on Dec 4 at 17:40. What can I do in the Kew area for the afternoon before my admission time. I have never been to Kew, but not sure if it is worth paying full price to see it in December. >>
You can go to Richmond before you go to Kew, it is a really nice area, with riverside restaurants, shops etc or Petersham Nurseries is close by for lunch. You can take a walk around Richmond Park, plenty of deer around, have tea & scones at Pembroke Lodge. The view from Richmond Hill is very nice, towards the River Thames. You might be interested in seeing Ham House. Or have a cocktail or two at Rock and Rose. Even the area right outside Kew Gardens station has nice cafes, a michelin star restaurant and some nice pubs.
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 08:36 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
We have almost the exact same London schedule. We'll be tailing each other

>>Kew at 17:50, well it will be dark, so I assume they have some lights on.<<

That is the WHOLE point of Kew. Christmas at Kew is a big deal and sells out for every day. (I will actually also be at Kew on the 4th)

I honestly would not do Richmond or other things 'in the area. Especially if it is cold or wet that day. You most likely would not want to be out in the weather all day long and into the night. I assume you did not get dinner tickets - right? If not, I'd plan on a late Lunch somewhere in central London convenient to the District Line. Head out a little after 5PM, then if you are hungry after returning in to town have a late supper in central London.
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 08:50 AM

>>1. I plan on visiting the Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park, what are some other Christmas Markets/attractions you have enjoyed?<<

There are Christmas markets and ice rinks all over This site will get you started: https://londonist.com/london/christm...airs-in-london

>>3. I am going to Bath for the day on Dec 5.(never been) What are the top sights I can see from late morning to late afternoon. I do love architecture and plan on the Roman Baths and Bath Abbey, how far of a walk is it to the Royal Crescent or other architectural attractions?<<

From late morning to say 5PM-sh you'll really only have time for the Baths (pretty time intensive), Lunch, the Abbey, a walk up to the Circus and Royal Crescent and a look see at Pulteney Bridge. That would totally fill the 5 or 6 hours you have free.
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice so far
janisj: I got the idea for Kew from one of your posts recently, thanks. I have looked into the various markets, just wondered if there were any favorites or not to miss. Thanks for the advice on the Kew day.
I figured anything I did that day would be weather dependent if I planned to walk around a bit.
Odin: Thanks for the Richmond advice, I may keep it in mind if it is a nice weather day.

Some of the other activities I have planned are: Tickets to hear Handel's Messiah at Westminster Abbey on Dec 3. A visit to the Charles Dickens Museum, and a trip out to Windsor Castle to see the decorations. I also have an early access type tour of The Tower by Take Walks ( I got a voucher at a travel blogging conference this summer). I will be visiting the various markets throughout my trip both day and night. I can't wait to see London at this time of the year. I haven't been there since the Royal Wedding in May 2019, its been too long!
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 12:26 PM

<<Thanks for the Richmond advice, I may keep it in mind if it is a nice weather day.>>
Even if the weather isn't great, there are plenty of nice places for lunch in the Richmond area. It could rain when you go for Christmas at Kew. There is ice skating at Hampton Court Palace, it is really festive at this time with the Palace lit up.
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 01:28 PM

>>It could rain when you go for Christmas at Kew.<<

Absolutely it could. My only point was if it is a rainy day - and being outside for several hours that night at Kew is a firm given - so I'd make plans for indoors things for the morning/afternoon before heading out to Kew (they are timed tickets so the time is the time)

Then IF the weather is great and one doesn't mind wearing the same things from early AM through pretty late that night -- then a plan B to first explore Richmond could be slotted in no problem. Myself (and having a 5PM ticket at Kew) I don't plan on leaving central London til about 4:15. Gives me lots of wiggle room to change outerwear get warmer clothing, boots, whatever if needed etc.

olympicgaym: Handel's Messiah at the Abbey should be thrilling. I was going to hear the Messiah at Cadogan Hall on the 1st -- but instead I'm going to a program with Nadiya Tamal (of GBBO fame) at the Southbank Centre.

At Kew I wanted to have dinner at The Botanical - but even being a member and booking in very early August both sittings were totally booked up.
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 02:31 PM

This may already be obvious but you simply cannot equate the night time Christmas lights at Kew Gardens with a normal visit to Kew Gardens. KG is 300+ acres dedicated to all things green. The Christmas lights attract a huge number of people and is basically a very controlled route around a tiny portion of the gardens. Decent Christmas light display for those who like that sort of thing but not a real visit to a botanical garden.

Last edited by Moderator1; Oct 24th, 2019 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Deleted inappropriate, off topic comment
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 05:02 PM

>> . . . but you simply cannot equate the night time Christmas lights at Kew Gardens with a normal visit to Kew Gardens. . . . Decent Christmas light display for those who like that sort of thing but not a real visit to a botanical garden.<<

Sort of stating the obvious -- I'd think most anyone visiting Kew at night would know it isn't a 'real' garden visit. Kew's site clearly describes the event.
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 07:52 PM

i like camden markets in london. what an interesting place for people watching!
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 04:55 AM

Also in London around this time and going to Kew for the first time Dec 4th for the 5:40 lights time slot. I bought a day ticket too so I can take a look around before the lights. I have to exit and then re-enter but thought I’d sit in a local pub and warm up a bit if required. And I was thinking about visiting Richmond before heading over to Kew. Been awhile since I was last in Richmond. That will all be dependant of course on the forecast.

Check out the Southbank Winter Market - has a web site. Tons of great Christmas Lights around town. The Angels on Regent Street and Jermyn Street are beautiful (understand they are still going with them this year). F&M always has fun windows and a spectacular staircase decor. Elizabeth Street has a good light display as does Bond. Covent Garden Christmas Tree and area is well worth a visit too.

The Messiah at the Abbey should be wonderful. I’m going to try Evensong at the Abbey this trip.

Old Oct 25th, 2019, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, everyone. I signed up for the Messiah immediately when I saw the notice come up, should be a great experience. I understand that many of my days/events will be weather dependent, but I hope my luck holds out from having great weather days on all of my trips to London and the UK. I really do want to see Kew and I love botanical gardens, but I think I would rather see them on one of my spring or summer trips to see them at their best. The light display does look spectacular and I am looking forward to it as I take the opportunity to explore beyond central London.

I have another question, I am planning to visit Windsor Castle on Dec 6 to see it decorated for Christmas. I have been to Windsor before and always enjoyed it. I could take the standard tour/admission and see everything, or they also offer an evening tour for substantially more money and claims a guided behind the ropes tour of the State Apartments with champaign, guidebook and 20% discount in the gift shop. Has anyone done this tour?

I am really looking forward to this trip at this time of the year.
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 06:20 AM

>>I have another question, I am planning to visit Windsor Castle on Dec 6 to see it decorated for Christmas. I have been to Windsor before and always enjoyed it. I could take the standard tour/admission and see everything, or they also offer an evening tour for substantially more money and claims a guided behind the ropes tour of the State Apartments with champaign, guidebook and 20% discount in the gift shop. Has anyone done this tour? <<

Haven't to Windsor but have to Buckingham Palace which sounds very similar. Whether it is 'worth it' is up to you since I don't know if it is a budget buster or not. But there are advantages: • a small group/ no mass crowds • it is in the evening so leaves time for other sightseeing that has to be during the day • is guided so you get more details re what you're seeing • a glass of (not the best quality ) champagne • the guide book is thrown in. I found the 20% discount valuable because I was buying a fairly expensive collectors piece but if you aren't shopping - not a big deal.

>>but I hope my luck holds out from having great weather days on all of my trips to London and the UK. <<

Me too! I've had all sorts of weather in London but my last two trips (Last December and this past July) the weather was perfect for the time of year. Clear and crisp las Dec and totally dry and warm temps in July. Fingers crossed
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Janisj- I don't mind paying for the experience, it is not a budget buster.....but the 20% gift shop discount could be!
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 09:38 AM

Oh Jeeze Louise -- I actually HAVE done it at Windsor - I totally forgot. (Would that mean I've been to London too many times . . . nah )

It was very similar to the Buck House tour.
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 09:41 AM

Here is the description from my TR in 2017

Walked back to flat to get a warmer scarf and relax a bit. Took a cab to Paddington and caught a train to Windsor, with a change at Slough. Stopped for hot mulled wine in a pub then up to the castle for evening champagne tour. We were a group of 14 and the tour was longer than I expected - nearly 2 hours and we were allowed inside the ropes in most rooms. Beautiful Christmas decorations in many rooms. Surprised to me that the Queen was in residence . . . Have never toured any of the royal residences when she was on site. Were served a quite decent champagne and then we walked down to the gift shop where we received a 20% discount. I took major advantage and filled a medium sized £40 shipping box completing a lot of my souvenir/Xmas list. VAT was over £60 so worked out great and I didn't have to lug anything home.

Trekked back to Windsor Central and caught a train - but just missed a close connection at slough so had to wait 25 mins in the COLD. But the next train was an express so not much later really to Paddington. Picked up and M&S sandwich at the station, caught cab and the traffic was crazy - Edgware rd was PACKED!!! So the meter was nearly £10 just to Marble Arch - £25 total. Sandwich/chips/wine in the flat and another good night"s sleep.
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by janisj
>> . . . but you simply cannot equate the night time Christmas lights at Kew Gardens with a normal visit to Kew Gardens. . . . Decent Christmas light display for those who like that sort of thing but not a real visit to a botanical garden.<<

Sort of stating the obvious -- I'd think most anyone visiting Kew at night would know it isn't a 'real' garden visit. Kew's site clearly describes the event.
I did say "this may already be obvious..." So you then jump up and accuse me of "stating the obvious"!!! Unreal. You just can't win around here sometimes.

I have no idea what websites people check or what they see in their library or bookstore.

Anyway, so why did i say it if it MIGHT be obvious?
Well the OP said:
<<I have never been to Kew, but not sure if it is worth paying full price to see it in December. >>

This suggested that it might not be known that a visit to the Xmas lights is most definitely not "seeing it". Further, comparing the price to "seeing it" in Dec vs other times of the year (with no Xmas lights) also shows that this may not be understood. There are other things on this thread that made me question that too.

Old Oct 25th, 2019, 12:10 PM

. The OP already has tix to Christmas at Kew. Was musing whether it would be worth it to ALSO pay to see the place during the day. I think olympicgaym has it under control . . .
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 01:40 PM

Olympicgaym, Janisj: You both report that you have booked tickets to performances of the Messiah, albeit different performances and venues.

Where do you find listing of concerts, etc? I will be back in London Nov 22-27, and would like to book some music. Usually when in London I just look at flyers and notice boards and go with what’s on at St Michaels, etc, but for the holiday season I need to be more pro-active.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -