London GTG-Sept 28, 29 or 30th?

Sep 24th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

London GTG-Sept 28, 29 or 30th?

Hi, London fodorites.

Anyone interested in getting together for an after-work happy hour on Friday, September 28th, or in the evening on Saturday or Sunday?
Sep 25th, 2012, 01:41 AM

I'm on again (not working now, so any time!) - same suggestions as before, though your time constraints and perhaps the weather may not be conducive to dragging you out of the centre.
Sep 25th, 2012, 02:28 AM

Unfortunately we have plans those two nights - but enjoy!
Sep 25th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

So disappointed I won't see you or Scott, Jamie, but am hopeful in meeting with Patrick! I wouldn't drag you out to meet just me, Patrick, so I won't hold you to any commitments.

However, I am so wanting to spend an hour or two with friendly company in a pub. I've reached out to a couple Chicago acquaintances that now live in London to inquire as to whether they might be around this weekend. The Old Bank of England pub looks wonderful for that Friday night. If Saturday or Sunday eve is better, maybe there are other options?
Sep 25th, 2012, 02:57 PM

We could probably be convinced to meet up late afternoon for a pre dinner drink on Saturday...perhaps some place around borough market like the George or maybe black friars pub around 4??
Sep 26th, 2012, 07:20 AM

Fine by me. Both good options.
Sep 26th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Oh, yes, please! Let's book it! (As I'm running out the door to O'Hare in an hour or so.)

Can we say 4:00 p.m., Black Friar's Pub, 174 Queen Victoria Street, London, EC4V 4EG, on Saturday, 29 September?

I'll see you there!

It looks as if there IS a Blackfriar Tube (Circle line) stop on the circle line... but if not, which stop would offer a more pleasant walk? Mansion HOuse or Temple stop?

Can't wait! Thanks for making the time, Patrick, Jamie and Scott!
Sep 26th, 2012, 01:07 PM

Yes, the pub is just over the road from Blackfriars station. Temple is a good long walk away along the Embankment, past the Middle Temple Gardens (about 20-30 minutes, I'd say). Mansion House would be nearer, but the walk is not at all interesting unless you walk the long way round via St Pauls and down through the villagey bit around Carter Lane and Black Friars Lane; or you could get the 388 bus down Queen Victoria St (but in that case, you might just as well take the tube to Blackfriars).

See you then!
Sep 26th, 2012, 10:58 PM

Sounds good...see you there!
Oct 2nd, 2012, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Jamie, Patrick and Scott:

Thanks so much for taking the time to meet with me! Sitting in that gorgeous pub, with three of the nicest people ever, and hearing of your lives in England, was a highlight of my trip.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to enjoy my delicious, if off-season, Pimm's cup (as I don't drink solo). I doubt I would've ventured into any pub were it not for you three.

Had a fantastic time in your city. Will be posting a short trip report later.

Can't wait to return and see you all again!
Oct 2nd, 2012, 03:37 PM

Oh -that is so neat. I'm jealous. Thought about trying for a GTG when I was there in June but w/ the Jubilee/stuff and my plans changing day by day it would have been tough to schedule anything.

Trip report awaited
Oct 2nd, 2012, 10:13 PM

I enjoyed it too, it made a nice break (I'm having my kitchen done and had just set up camp in one end of my living room in readiness for the disruption).

I must say, you seem to have got off the beaten track a bit - hope you managed to get your souvenirs and dodge the rain!
Oct 2nd, 2012, 10:54 PM

It was lovely to meet you and meet up with Patrick again! I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip and please let us know next time you are in London!

Patrick, we will have to plan these get togethers more frequently! Hope the kitchen work is going well!!
Oct 3rd, 2012, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

@janisj - Yes, was really nice to be able to schedule a GTG, but you're right. It's not always easy. I'd tried for early September, then my elderly kitty got sick so had to cancel my trip. Then this last go-round, I was lucky that my three London Fodorites could find the time. The human interaction is such a balm after days of solo travel. Here's hoping you and I can meet some day in England!

@Patrick: Yes! Souvenirs were found-at Heathrow Duty Free. After our pub visit, I bussed to Knightsbridge, hopped off to walk Rotten Row - a wonderfully, melancholy moment imagining all the Victorian-era walkers and carriages and horses that had traversed that lane - then over to the Royal Geographical Society's Lowther Lodge, which to my great fortune, a wedding party was in attendance, so I could see into the building. Then, the historical bubble was burst a bit by the George Michael concert goers headed to the Royal Albert Hall, but that was also a treat, as I was able to see the inside of the building and walk its circumference with the building all lit up. Best of luck with the remodel!

@Jamie and Scott: One of the best trips ever. Inspiration after inspiration. Far too short, but I am looking forward to when I can return. I hope you and Scott enjoyed the British BBQ afterwards, and we can get together again!
Oct 7th, 2012, 05:11 AM

Ah, I could have easily joined you for a drink that day had I known! It was our first trip to London, and we had a great time but it would have been even nicer had we met some of the fodorites whose posts I've been reading for years.
Oct 7th, 2012, 10:10 AM

Looks like you had a great time Chgogal.
I think it's nice to meet people personally, especially when one has only known them virtually, for a long time.

I too will be in London for a brief three days at the end of the month (26th, 27th, 28th), and would welcome meeting Patrick (love your blog and have been following it for quite a long time) as well as fellow canucks Jamie and Scott, and any other Fodorites who may be around, if possible. Unfortunately I have a stack of commitments to fit in those three days, which is what has prevented me from even mentioning a GTG, for I'm not sure what time I'll have. But I will make a separate post just as soon as I can see my days more clearly, and if anyone is able to meet, that would be very nice.

A walk about or around the Canary wharf area has been on my 'to do' list and would be most interesting if at all possible, weather permitting of course.
Oct 7th, 2012, 12:03 PM

Happy to show you round the area (since I live near there) if you've time, Mathieu. You may find it strangely reminiscent of Montreal.....
Oct 7th, 2012, 12:19 PM

Thank you Patrick, that would be great. I'll let you know closer to the date how things are shaping up. I hope we can make it happen.

M
Oct 7th, 2012, 02:58 PM

Let us know, we should be around too...
Oct 7th, 2012, 08:28 PM

Will do Jamikins. Thanks, and hope to meet you all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO