Search

London Flats

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2000, 10:05 AM
Kate W.

London Flats

Any recommendations on renting a flat in London for late May?

Old Apr 2nd, 2000, 01:23 PM
Carla

Kate <BR>try www.price apts.co.uk

Old Apr 2nd, 2000, 03:26 PM
Lori

Kate, <BR>Contact Nick Price at Price Apartments www.priceapts.co.uk. Nick has two buildings of his own on Balcombe St. that are converted into apartments (studios, one & two bedrooms, in fact he has a newly remodeled 2 bedroom just coming up available for renting). We stayed at 31 Balcombe last year and will be there again in about 10 days. Nick also acts as an agent for several other places of varying prices. His Balcombe St. apartments are not luxurious but they are clean and comfortable and VERY handy to the Underground,shops, etc. - Marylebone Station is just around the corner and Baker St. is a couple of blocks. We found it to be a very convenient neighhorhood as it is "out" of the main tourist stuff but close enough to get everyplace to in a matter of minutes. Regent's Park is just a couple of blocks away too. If you contact Nick tell him Lori & John recommended him, he's a great guy to work with we found! (I get nothing out of recommending Nick in case anyone cares .. he's just a nice guy with decently priced apartments to rent and we count him as a friend after dealing with him a couple of times.

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 04:29 PM
Jerri

try flats outside of the center of the city for a better price.

Old Apr 8th, 2000, 12:41 AM
Katw W.

Lori <BR>got a message from Nick after an inquiry. Can you tell me does his building on Balcome have a lift. he told me about an apt on the top floor. <BR>Did you feel safe staying there rather than in a hotel. We are women travelling. And how long on the tube was the ride to central areas and sites? <BR>Is there a washer dryer? microwave?

Old Apr 8th, 2000, 08:21 PM
Kate

looking for reply from Lori <BR>thanks

Old Apr 9th, 2000, 06:25 AM
Lori

Kate, <BR>Sorry I did not get back to you - I'm getting packed for our trip right this minute. I'm afraid the flats on Balcombe St. don't have an elevator - some of the others he acts as an agent for do however, but I cannot tell you much about them, we've never stayed there. The places on Balcombe do not have a w/d - there is a laundermat around the corner on Ivor St. however. We've hand washed our "handwash-ables" and draped them over the heated towel rack or the clothes rack that stands in the tub and they were dry pretty quickly. Naturally you can't do regular was that way of course. <BR> <BR>We felt perfectly safe, I travel with my husband as opposed to two women, but I'd feel fine with it. It's a "regular" street, people get up and go to work in the a.m. etc. There is quite a fancy hotel around the corner at Dorset Sq. and the Landmark Hotel across from Marylebone Station is quite deluxe. It's very close to everything via tube, a matter of minutes really. We've always found London easy to get around via tube. It is closer to Marylebone (2 blocks), about 4 to Baker St. We've walked "home" from the tube after the theater(11:30 p.m.) and felt fine. <BR> <BR>I'm not sure about the apt. on the top floor, because 31 and 33 Balcombe have different configurations. We stay at 31 and he has just remodeled two apts. there. 33 has 1 bedroom flats I believe. We take the studio - it's really inexpensive (not fancy/deluxe,if you are looking for that then I'd recommend elsewhere) but because it is economical we are able to spend money on many other things and still have more room than most hotel rooms (which are very very small). The downside is no daily maid service, again if that is an issue I'd opt for a hotel. You can always make arrangements with Nick for extra towels, linens/whatever for Balcombe St. Heck, I even know where he keeps the vacuum cleaner, etc.!!! <BR> <BR>I'm sorry about the lift situation however, but as I said some of the other bldgs. he agents for have them. <BR> <BR>Yes, there is a microwave, also a toaster, tea pot, various pots and pans, dishes, silverware (nothing fancy), small refrigerator, 4 burner stove. <BR> <BR>I'll be home today and will check the forum later if you need any more info. <BR>Nick is really a great guy, he has a friend, Michael, who we make arrangements to pick us up at Heathrow and Michael is a riot! (30 pounds pickup and worth every penny). <BR> <BR>I hope this helps,

Old Apr 9th, 2000, 10:13 AM
Lori

Kate, <BR>I think you asked how long it takes to get to central points in London and I answered it's a couple of blocks to Baker St. & 2 to Marylebone tube stops -I guess I have jet lag and I have not left home yet! Actually, from Baker St. it's about 5 minutes to Oxford St. (shopping) via tube and probably within 10-15 minutes to other sites. It does depend on the time of the day, the frequency of trains and whether or not you have to change lines. Baker/Marylebone are on the Bakerloo line which is a good one. I know we never took too long to go most places. Sometimes it's more of a hassle to get to the trains themselves than the ride because you have to go up and down so many levels of escalators, etc. No matter where you end up staying if you are going to be in London any time at all get a Underground Pass - you will need a passport sized picture for the 7 day pass. <BR> <BR>My husband said to mention to you that if you were worried about getting luggage up a couple of flights of stairs more than likely Nick or his son would be there to help you. <BR>