London Eye

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:24 AM
M. Sams

London Eye

What is the London Eye?

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Brian

Thew London Eye is a large Ferris wheel with enclosed Glass pendulas, accommodating approx 15 people at a time, it is situated across the Thames near the Houses of Parliament. Well worth a visit, be prepared to queue!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:49 AM
xxx

Is it open now? I heard that it has been shut down.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:51 AM
meg

Closed for maintenance during January I believe. Look at the British Airways website or search for 'The London Eye' on Google.com for more up to date information. You can book in advance- recommended.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Wendy

We just bought our friend a fantastic coffee table book on the building of the London Eye. The pictures of the work is incredible- you should be able to find it at Barnes and Noble or any other large bookstore in the Architectual/ Engineering section.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Nige

I can confirn that it is shut through January for maintenance work - I was going to take a travelling companion for a whirl (a VERY slow whirl!). Went to the Tate modern instead )<BR><BR>Nige

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Monica

Apparently the London Eye is always shut for the month of January for maintenance. Something to keep in mind when you plan your trip. We were bummed that we couldn't go on it but loved London anyhow.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 10:28 AM
xxx

Cost of this tourist sight please. Is it worth the money?

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 10:46 AM
David

9.5 pounds this spring, 10.5 pounds for summer.<BR><BR>www.londoneye.com<BR><BR>I thought it was worth it. I love to be able to get above a city and have a view and perspective of its layout. I try to do this as soon as I can when I get to the city. Until now, London didn't have much in the way of an observation platform other than St. Paul's, and St. Paul's isn't for the faint of heart. <BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Ron

Never one to pass up an opportunity to plug my web page, I have a few photos taken from the London Eye. Click on the London link.<BR>http://www.iconnect.net/home/rsumners<BR>My understanding is that it is closed in January for maintenance. The ride itself is 1/2 hour with some magnificent views of London. I think each gondola holds 25 people. Get your tickets in advance.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 12:32 PM
john

Rode the Eye twice on two seperate trips - once at night and once during the day. We greatly enjoyed both times. <BR><BR>If you want to purchase the tourist photo, make sure you position yourself on the inward side of the car towards the Thames side when you are about 4 cars from the bottom.