Search

London england

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London england

when arriving at heathrow airport, and going to waterloo station, the route seems to picadilly line to green park. green park to waterloo station.....what is the time, and the cost....or is there a better route?
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 11:03 AM

london england? love it!

I am going to post on the USA board "New York, USA", as if there were another.

Sorry for teasing, I would recommend the Picadilly to Leicester Square then the Misery Line down to Waterloo.

Where is you final destination? You may be better of getting there by bus.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 11:13 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you heading to Waterloo to catch the Eurostar or some other train -- or just trying to get to some place near Waterloo station?

Also - if for a train - how long have you given yourself for this trip in from LHR?
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 11:38 AM

You might find it helpful to go to
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/

The Transport for London webpage
Click on Journey Planner on the left.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 12:45 PM

waring,

There is a London, Ontario in Canada and when I have dealt with business people from there they have no problem whatever of just saying "London" thereby confusing things.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 02:33 PM

But how many London's are there on the European forum?
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 02:53 PM

little london, surrey
london, finland
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 03:00 PM

But Little London is in England
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 03:06 PM

i know...i was just answering your question.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 03:22 PM

I'm laughing at waring's terminology: the "misery" line--ha!! love it!
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 05:43 PM

Is the Misery Line The Northern or the Waterloo? I could check the bloody website but it's too wordy!
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 06:30 PM

Bakerloo..Bakerloo!! to Waterloo
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:06 AM

Heathrow Express to Paddington, then Bakerloo, may save a bit of time, but not at lot - up to you if it justifies the money.

You can change at Green Park, but you have quite a long walk to the Jubilee Line. On the plus side, there are lifts if your luggage is really cumbersome.

Another option is to change at Hammersmith to the District Line (just cross the platform), then again at Westminster for the Jubilee Line - that's all escalators down to the Jubilee, and plenty of space to stand aside from any rushing crowds.

The downside of the Jubilee Line, though, if you're aiming for the Eurostar, is that you have a long walk at Waterloo to get to the Eurostar terminal.

The Bakerloo line platforms at Waterloo are much nearer the Eurostat terminal (from the Piccadilly Line, change at Piccadilly Circus. I can't see the point of going on to Leicester Square (for the Northern Line, which is at the same end of Waterloo as the Eurostar and Bakerloo platforms) - it can get quite crowded in narrow tunnels and staircases.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 02:37 AM

For a shorter change than Green Park, with luggage, you can take the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow to Hammersmith, cross the platform to the District line, carry on to Westminster, take a lift to street level, and a bus number 211 frrom beside the station to the station.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:00 AM

Thought this was a personal message for me... but glad our American friends now understand our Eurocentric view - there is only one London - just as we never say Paris France when we talk about Paris.

To answer the question the change at Green Park involves a lengthy walk between the Piccadilly and Jubilee lines - I would change at Piccadilly Circus and take the Bakerloo line to Waterloo or if you can afford it the Heathrow Express (or new cheaper stopping service) to Paddington and then take the Bakerloo line from there to Waterloo

Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 07:40 AM

london, finland??????? Wow, that is news.
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 04:44 AM

The Misery Line is the Northern Line, they still have a man walking in front of the train with a kerosene lamp.

The London, England thing is indeed perfectly logical to a North American, just a bit odd to English ears.

I have heard I took the train from Paris, France to Rome, Italy. In this case I thought stating the countries was redundant.

Old Dec 26th, 2006, 08:35 AM

After dealing with the tube lines in London, while lugging around a large heavy suitcase, a dozen times, I would highly recommend a route that you can use lifts on. The route I used was Picadilly (blue) line, switch at Green Park (Jubilee - silver) to Waterloo. Albeit, every time I've gone the lifts were broken and ended up using the stairs - MISERY! Thankfully, the Brits usually were very nice and more than willing to help me out! Taking the tube from LHR to Waterloo will take about 50 min. I would recommend the Heathrow Express, as others have stated, which will take you to Paddington Station. From there you can take the tube to Waterloo via the Bakerloo (brown - not stair free) line. Or you could use the Circle/District line (green/yellow), switch at Westminster (Jubilee - silver) to Waterloo. Just a few different ideas. Cost is about 7usd for a one way ticket to central london. You could buy a travelcard that covers all districts, but unless you plan on travelling out of central London, it's probably more economical to just buy the Zone 1 card for the amount of days you'll need it and then another one way ticket back out to LHR. Have fun on your trip!!
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 08:57 AM

cwoolner is confused.

From Heathrow to Waterloo via Paddington should involve no stairs at all.

There aren't any from any terminal to the Heathrow Express. Access to the Bakerloo Line at Paddington (and to the Eurostar at Waterloo) is entirely by escalator. There are stairs if you want them: but there's no need to use them if you'd rather use an escalator.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 10:55 AM

Apologies Flanneruk - that was information given on the Tube website via their handicap accessible tube map, which includes lifts, not just escalators. When I travelled to/from Paddington I always took a taxi to my destination in the city. Never had to deal with stairs then! lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -