Search

London eats

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London eats

Will be staying in the Paddington Station area for 2 nights and need some suggestions for fun eating, pubs, whisky, local hangouts and must eats.
Nothing fancy but good food.
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:12 PM

Try looking at www.toptable.co.uk and doing a search for reviews etc.
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You chose Paddington for some reason - fine. But I personally wouldn't eat all or even most of my meals in that area. Few 'must eats'

IMO it would be better to eat and visit pubs out and about where you find yourself during your sightseeing.
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 01:01 PM

Not sure why you think Paddington (or anythwere in London for that matter) would be of particular interest for whisky drinkers - you need to head north of the border for that!
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 01:20 PM

The Grenadier is great fun...near Harrods. Also, Silks & Spices was good if you're up for Thai food. It was a while ago that I was there, but look it up to see if it's still around.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 03:03 AM

Plenty of whisky orientated bars in London. Any half decent pub will have a good range. Here's a link to three whisky bars (not in Paddington):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sponsored...isky-bars.html
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bpesta and jamikins.

How about in the Nottinghill area. Just staying in the Paddington narea for transportationj pour poses.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 08:58 AM

There is a great Indian restaurant which would be walkable from Paddington. It's called Noorjahan 2, in a cute residential neighborhood. Their prawns were amazing.

http://www.noorjahan2.com/
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 09:00 AM

PS On this walk, there are a number of old style pubs you could try.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 09:17 AM

>>How about in the Nottinghill area. Just staying in the Paddington narea for transportationj pour poses.<<

Just curious- is that because you are flying in or out of Heathrow? If so, Paddington usually isn't the best place to stay. It's only link to LHR are expensive trains, or the tube with multiple changes. And it isn't close to any sites. Other parts of London really are better for public transport to Heathrow.

(Ignore all that IF you are just using Paddington to catch a train to some other part of western England.)
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 09:23 AM

Take the #7 bus and in 20 minutes or so you'll be in Soho.

Belgo Centraal is nice, in Covent Garden.

http://www.belgo-restaurants.co.uk
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Janisj
Arriving into Heathrow, staying for 2 nights then heading to Southamton on a cruise. Using Smiths for Airports to get to port.
Any other suggestions?
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 12:10 PM

>>Janisj
Arriving into Heathrow, staying for 2 nights then heading to Southamton on a cruise. Using Smiths for Airports to get to port.<<

If that's the case, there is really no reason to stay in/near Paddington.

I assume you chose it for the Heathrow Express - right? If so probably a lot more hassle than you think. If you have bulky luggage you'll have to walk from Arrivals to the HEX station. Then schlepp the stuff on the train, off the train at Paddington and then either walk to your hotel or queue for a cab. That '15 minute' train ride will take more like 45+ minutes door to door and only get you to Paddington which is nowhere really.

Or you could take a car service which really IS door to door w/ no luggage schlepping. But w/ a car service you could stay ANYWHERE and not be stuck in Paddington. Mayfair, Knightsbridge, South Kensington, Belgravia, Bloomsbury, Covent Garden or a dozen other areas nicer/more convenient for exploring London.

What is your budget?
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Budget around £200 per night.
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 07:36 AM

The HEX is very fast and convenient. It's expensive, but when you're travelling alone (as I was), a car would be more expensive, and wouldn't get me to my destination in Notting Hill in half an hour.

Paddington is not great, but not that bad either. It's central, and has good transport links.

Go for dinner in Notting Hill - the Electric on Portobello is great.
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 08:11 AM

If you aren't locked into your lodging yet, there is a little neighborhood called Sussex Gardens which is just a few blocks from Paddington, closer to Hyde Park. There are cute little hotels in this nice residential neighborhood. Go to londontown.com to find them. Hyde Park Radnor is one, which is good.
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 09:03 AM

<i>... there is a little neighborhood called Sussex Gardens which is just a few blocks from Paddington, closer to Hyde Park. There are cute little hotels in this nice residential neighborhood. </i>

... and some of them rent rooms out by the hour!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...fe-misery.html
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 09:38 AM

Not saying the OP is posh or anything, but honestly, do you think someone taking a cruise and able to spend up to £200 a night for a hotel really should stay in Sussex Gardens?

zanne: W/ £200 a night (is that for a single?) you honestly couldstay in any (nicer) part of the city. What sorts of things are you planning to do in London?

Central areas that are walking distance to a lot of things include Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square, Victoria, Knightsbridge, Mayfair, South Kensington and Russell Square/Bloomsbury. Knightsbridge and Mayfair have mostly fairly upscale hotels but probably would be doable for your budget. The others mostly have properties from moderate to very high end.

I'd maybe start by checking the Royal Horseguards for your dates - it might just fit under your budget and is a wonderful location.

Rubens at the Palace, the Strand Palace (easily within your budget and a great location) and others.
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 09:47 AM

Hmmm, that's a surprise to this person who stayed at Hyde Park Radnor, reportedly in Sussex Gardens. It seemed like a very nice, quiet neighborhood. We saw NO signs of illegal activities. Maybe I am wrong in calling its location Sussex Gardens?

Hyde Park Radnor B&B
7-9 Sussex Place
London
W2 2SX

http://hydeparkradnor.com/index.html

BTW, that article is from 2006.
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 09:55 AM

The girls are a bit older now but are still there

Don't get me wrong, Paddington is not a slum - and there <i>are</i> a some nicer properties. But mostly you'll find low-priced (and still over priced) 'tourist' B&B 'you get a key to the front door and breakfast in the basement' hotels. And the HEX notwithstanding, the area is not convenient for most sightseeing/touring/dining

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -