Reload this Page >

London districts

Search

London districts

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 10:00 AM
Raymond

London districts

My wife and I will be staying in London for 3 days in April for vacation. We need more info about which area to stay in - Hyde Park, Kensington, downtown London, etc? Since we'll only have 3 days we plan on doing most of the tourist stuff - seeing Buckingham Palace, changing of the guards, etc. <BR>Any info regarding which area to stay in?

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 10:06 AM
kam

Raymond, there really is no "downtown" London. There is the City of London, but that's not any better located than elsewhere. What is most important, I think, is to be near to a convenient tube stop. You will use the tube to get to all tourist destinations. Near Marble Arch or in Kensington is usually recommended.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 01:06 PM
Mel

Raymond: <BR>Kensington is a very nice area and has great tube stops (South Kensington, Gloucester Road)meaning they have connections to several areas so you change fewer times. That's the real key to where you stay--being near the tube stop. Knightsbridge is also nice, particularly if you wish to do some upscale shopping or want to walk to Buckingham Palace, the V&A, Natural History Museum, etc. <BR>By "downtown" London you probably mean the one-square mile that encompasses Parliament, Courts, etc. Look carefully at what you wish to do while you're in London before you decide to stay in "the city."

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Julie

London's tourist sites tend to be scattered throughout the city. It mostly depends on your preferences. I like to have the option of being near a tube stop or being able to walk, so I usually stay in the Bloomsbury area. I also like to go the theatre practically every evening which makes Bloomsbury very practical if I choose to walk afterwards (close enough & safe). I think if you map out what you really want to see during your 3 days you'll be able to narrow down which area will suit you best.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 01:23 PM
elaine

Raymond, <BR>I have a file on London; if you'd like to see it, email me. <BR> <BR>You have tickets to go on the tour of Buck. Palace that is only offered in August-early Sept (I think) while the R. Family is away? 'Cause other than that, Buck. Palace is not open for tours.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 04:25 PM
simone

I've stayed in South Kensington, Victoria, Chiswick and Bloomsbury on visits to London. I agree that being near a convenient tube stop in the easiest way to get around. The District/Circle line or the Piccadilly line can take you most everywhere with the fewest number of transfers. I love staying in Bloomsbury because you can take the Piccadilly line from Heathrow straight thru the theatre district and end up at the British Museum.