Reload this Page >

London discount theatre..Lord Mayors special

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2004, 08:49 AM
rjhjerpe

Last Feb when we were in london there were discounts theatre tickets available through the lord mayors special. hs anyone nay info if there will be anything like that this year..or really next year..january or Feb?
Thanks
Jean

Old Sep 28th, 2004, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jan
We are interested in this as well and are happy that some else asked to. What kind of deals did you get last year when you were there? We are going for Valentines Day and I would love to suprise Wendy with something even if it is something as simple as one of the long running performance and not necesarily something new hip and showy. Tell us about your experience last year please
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 05:26 PM

If I remember right last year was the second year for those specials, but I don't think they appeared until just after Christmas. I would think they will do them again this year, but I have no idea how you can find out for sure except to wait and see.
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 11:33 AM
rjhjerpe

David..
We are also going to be in London right around Valentines. We got a wonderful deal last year. We paid 10 and 15 pounds for very good seats at several shows. the real blockbusters were more...Mamma Mia for example, but these were ususally 30 pounds or more...we were very pleased. if you hear about this, please post...it is worth it!
jean

Old Oct 6th, 2004, 03:27 AM

So people are not confused this had nothing to do wit the Lord Mayor of London, which is a ceremonial position looking after the interests of the Square Mile ie the City. This is something Ken (the elected mayor) does to promote London Theatre. Look on http://www.visitlondon.com/ unfortunately the deal finished in March, but will probably go a head again next year, and usually runs between Jan and March.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 03:39 AM

For godsake please don't call Ken the LORD mayor, his head is big enough already. Just "Mayor" will suffice.

I'm sure he'll do it again. You could keep an eye on the mayor's website for updates:
http://www.london.gov.uk/
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 04:06 AM

I know this doesn't help visitors, who mostly just want to know if there are cheap tickets going, but let's get the words right.

For the past couple of years there's been a promotion called "Get into London Theatre" which offers cheaper tickets, partly because of a subsidy from the London Development Agency, and partly because the producers are taking a lower margin for higher sales.

The Mayor contributes nothing to this, except that he hangs round the launch press conference (which at least means he's got that much less time to dream up more stunts). The promotion is no more "The Mayor's" than schools are "Tony Blair's".

Incidentally rjhjerpe, a quick google seems to show this year's promotion was launched in early Jan. I suspect they don't like launching it earlier, since there's a risk of people postponing pre- and post Christmas theatre trips (when the punters will pay full price). So keep on checking.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 04:30 AM

flanneruk, I won't argue with you and I'm sure you know a lot more about this than I do, since I'm really an outsider, but what we're talking about does advertise including a big banner on the Official London Theatre website calling it specifically "Mayor's Theatre Special" or something like that -- certainly including the word "Mayor". It always goes on to explain that it is done as a proclamation or event sponsored by the mayor. So I'm not sure why you would suggest it has nothing to do with the mayor except his hanging around the launch. Whether it is his idea or not or whether he is actively involved in it, if we want to "get the words right" then the words have to include the word Mayor, because that's how it is billed!
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 05:02 AM
rjhjerpe

Thank you very much for the helpful info. I will be watching for the special. I really dont care what it is called, or who sponsors it, just so long as I get in on it if they are doing it.
I appreciate the help.
Jean