Search

London Day Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Day Trip

Got 1 day in early Nov. for a day trip out of London. Thinking 2-3 hours by train each way. York comes to mind, as does Salisbury. Any other suggestions? Like a little shopping, museums, a good meal or 2, nice pubs.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 12:44 PM

Hi Boom_Boom, to me York would be too far given that the daylight hours are so short at that time of year. I would consider Salisbury or Cambridge. Many choices...
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 12:51 PM

York would be perfect! Hardly any tourists that time of year. You could do the outside things like the walls when it was light and do the indoor things later. We are unlikely to get snow up here in November.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 12:52 PM

Meant to say - the fastest trains to York take an hour and three quarters.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 12:55 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Unless there's something in particular you want to see in a city, why not go for a non-urban experience for some contrast.

I love Ely with it's unusual cathedral and lovely small town, not overrun with tourists. Norwich is also a very nice place.

Isle of Wight is just 2 hours away including a change to the ferry at Portsmouth Harbour. I realize boats could be a mistake in November but if you watch the weather and get a good day it could be a spontaneous decision.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 01:29 PM

Isle of Wight is a place I have wanted to go to for some time. Never thought it was a day trip, but see that it can be done. Any information about where to land? Ryde, Sandown, etc? and what options for public transportation,once there, to go around the island, or tours available on the island, would be much appreciated
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 01:54 PM

Other suggestions - Bath (easy train ride), likewise Oxford. Neither of them will have many tourists in November!
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 02:02 PM

To get to the Isle of Wight try this webisite: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

In the box that says "from" enter London and choose "all stations" from the drop-down menu as you type. Enter Isle of Wight in the "to" and also choose "all stations". This will give the options. Look for the ones that say 1 change to find direct trains plus the ferry.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 02:46 PM

Thanks, MmePerdu. The site is wonderful and easy to use.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 12:20 AM

This might be of interest in thinking about a trip to the Isle of Wight in November. Not something I'd consider that time of year I have to day, especially as Osborne House is closed from the 4th.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTop...n_England.html
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 12:45 AM

The original poster mentioned York so here are a few more facts that would make this trip fine for November, and hopefully dismiss the 'lack of daylight hours' and 'it's too far' myths.
If you left Kings Cross around 8, and picked one of the quicker trains (it's a very regular service) you could be in York centre by 10.
York is a compact city and very walkable, and the station is close by the main attractions.
Sunset at the beginning of November is around 4.30 You therefore have six and a half hours of daylight! Absolutely ample to explore the Shambles and old, winding streets, and even to walk around the walls, plus stop off for some drinks or lunch at one of the ancient city pubs (they will all be open and they won't be heaving!).
You can then choose some of the indoor attractions - the Minster, one of the excellent museums etc. The National Railway Museum is 5 minutes pedestrianized walk from the station, although not in the direction of the city centre.
You might also find this link helpful when looking at train choices
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTop...re_England.htm
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 04:42 AM

"This might be of interest in thinking about a trip to the Isle of Wight in November. Not something I'd consider that time of year I have to day, especially as Osborne House is closed from the 4th."

I find the Isle of Wight quite depressing in high summer, can't imagine what it's like in November. It's like stepping back in time to the 50s, and not in a good way.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 04:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As someone who regularly holidayed on the IOW as a youth I cannot think of any reason to go there at all, however, friends of mine with small children like it as their kids can run around on the beech all day and not fall off the island. The locals on the mainland have a special word for the sleepy/dull island ---- ers.

November, you are kidding right?
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 05:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I always wanted to go to Prince Edwards Island until I found out what it was like and decided that my needs would be limited July to August. (how Anne, "so much more distinguished" stood it)
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 06:07 AM

I love the Isle of Wight but maybe for reasons those above wouldn't find amusing enough. For instance, the Julia Cameron museum & gallery. http://www.dimbola.co.uk/

And the Benedictine monastery, Quarr Abbey, where you can see the ruins of the original monastery, listen to the liturgy in Gregorian chant and may be the only other in the church as I was. http://www.quarrabbey.co.uk/

And because I like sleepy places and ferry rides.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 06:16 AM

I wondered if it was a spoof suggestion too but tried to give some practical advice in case they really were thinking about going that time of year!!
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 06:24 AM

York seems a bit far. I'd vote for Bath as there is so much to do but Brighton might be a nearer option to consider. Lots of nice shopping in the Old Lanes, the Royal Pavilion to visit, good restaurants and the whole Regency sea front and pier bit.