Reload this Page >

London day-tours

Search

London day-tours

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 06:22 AM
steve

London day-tours

Hello, <BR> <BR>First time in London. Not at all sure what to see and do for four days. My travel agent recommends: "The Orgiginal London Sightseeing Tour"; Windsor, Hampton Court Palace and Thames cruise; Oxfors, Stratfor and Warwick castle; Leeds castle, Canterbury and Dover; or Stonhenge and Georgian Bath. I have been to paris twice and only took a day tour kicking and screeming with my Mom. Your help please!

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 07:28 AM
Dave

Steve, <BR> <BR>If you only have 4 days in London, I'd suggest not going further afield than suburban London (Windsor, Hampton Court, Greenwich, etc). Seeing the most famous sights in central London (Westminster, St Paul's, Tower, etc) will take at least two days. Throw in a couple of museums and/or theatre and/or Harrods, etc and there's not much time left over. <BR> <BR>If you REALLY wanted to see something particular you could do a day trip, since much of England is only a day trip away from London. But you don't seem to have any specific destinations in mind, so I'd suggest just sticking to London. <BR> <BR>Dave <BR>

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 11:14 AM
elaine

Hi, <BR>I thoroughly agree with Dave. In 4 days you would barely scratch the surface of all there is to do and see in London. <BR>If you want to do one day trip, pick <BR>Windsor or Hampton Court. All the places you mentioned are wonderful, but London itself deserves more time unless you dislike large cities. <BR>I have London and day trip notes; if you are interested, email me.

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 11:56 AM
Debbie

<BR>Have to put my vote in for a day trip - <BR>I did 2 of them - both about an hour by train from London <BR> <BR>Bath -BEAUTIFUL city -quaint cozy, historical roman baths & Abbey <BR>Cardiff (Wales) - the Castle there is something truely unusual. <BR> <BR>Personally I liked Bath better, but it depends on what you really like. <BR> <BR>The beauty of picking one of these 2 (especially Bath) is that you could go in first thing in the morning - spend 3 -4 hours and come back and still have the evening in London. <BR> <BR>have fun!! <BR> <BR>P.S. We also did the Hop-on Hop-off tour of London - was well worth it. Loved the Tower of london.

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 12:22 PM
Vanessa

I just got back from London on Wednesday, what a city!!! I absolutely loved it. There was so much to do, I couldn't believe it. I was there for 5 days (including one day trip to Bath). Bath was really beautiful. I would definitely reccommend it. We didn't take a tour, Just got on the British Rail at Paddington Station. Take the train heading to Paignton and leaves you off at Bath Spa. I suggest either having lunch at the Pump Room or Sally Lunn's. I had lunch at Sally Lunn's which was very good. Bath really didn't take an entire day, all of the stores close at 5 p.m. Go early, take the Guide Friday double-decker bus tour, see the Roman Baths and the abbey, and be back home at 8 or so for dinner. That was how our day trip played out, and we had a great time. <BR>Here is the rundown of what we did in London: <BR>Friday, Day 1: It rained, no it poured. Went to Kensington Palace (we went only because it was by our hotel and we arrived before hotel check in time, I definitely do NOT recommend it--the costume audio part is very boring). After that, we went to dinner at a really good Itallian restaurant Pizza Paradiso in Bayswater. <BR> <BR>Saturday Day Two: Portebello Road (Loved it!! We spent way too much money here, had a wonderful time!) <BR>Headed toward Big Ben. Once we got there, we realized we didn't know which building was which. We headed for a Double Decker bus (The Big Bus Company). We took the red line and blue line buses. In total, a 15 pound ticket gets you a four-hour tour, and a boat ride in 24 hours. <BR>Sunday, Day 3: We took the boat ride down the Thames the next day (It was before our 24 hours wer up. Got on near the millenninum eye and it left us off at Tower Hill). Since we were there, we went to see the Tower of London. Had the best time there. I absolutely loved it. After that we went on a guided walk (Original London walks...or something like that). We went on The Soho Pub Walk. I definitely recommend it. I wish we had more time to do more of the walks, that was one of the highlights of the trip. <BR>Monday, Day 4: Bath. (Wonderful) <BR>Tuesday, Day 5: (We crammed everythin in on our last full day, unfortunately it rained, but it wasn't too bad). Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's Cathedral(we even did the major climb 184 stairs to the top!), National Gallery (stayed only about 45 minutes since it was closing time), then bought some 1/2-price theatre tickets at the Leicester Square tube station. We saw the Witches of Eastwick which was really great. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, (don't forget your umberella, but it will be great anyway), <BR>Vanessa <BR>