Search

London Burberry Outlet

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2009, 05:57 PM
WLS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Burberry Outlet

I read in the Fodors London book that there is a huge Burberry factory outlet in Hackney on Chatham Place. I can't seem to find Hackney on my map. Can someone tell me where Hackney is and how far it is from central London? Thanks!
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 06:05 PM

Got this by googling....I am sure there is many more sites...

Burberry Outlet Address: 29-53 Chatham Place, London E9 6LP
Telephone Number: 02089853344 (Use +44 if you are calling from abroad)
Opening Times: 10am - 6pm (Mon - Sat), 11am - 5pm (Sun)
How To Get There: Nearest tube station is Bethnal Green on the Central line which is a bus ride away from the outlet, Hackney Central is the nearest main railway station and is a 5 minute walk from there. You could also take a bus there depending on where you live/stay which may be an easier alternative. You can go to the London Transport website and use the journey planner to plan your route: http://www.tfl.gov.uk
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 06:06 PM

ARE many more sites!! Late at night and I did not edit before posting.....
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 06:56 PM
yk

I'm pretty sure it's near Hackney Central Station (zone 2), which is served by the Overground rail. When I was at Hackney last Nov to visit Sutton House, I saw 2 women on the train back with Burberry Outlet shopping bags.

The fastest way to get there from Central London would be to take the
Victoria Line northbound, then change for the Overground rail at Highbury & Islington Station.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.pdf
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 08:43 AM
WLS
Original Poster

Thank you! These sites are SO helpful. I printed out exactly how to get there, with info on approximate times and zones. This is exactly what I needed!
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 08:48 AM
yk

You may want to call them to confirm their opening hours. It's a hike so you don't want to waste your time traveling there only to find out it's closed.

Hackney doesn't get the best reputation in terms of safety, but I found the area around Hackney Central station okay.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 10:57 AM

When you get back, let us know if the outlet stop was "worth it".
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 11:39 AM
WLS
Original Poster

I would like to give it a try just for the adventure but I am concerned about the safety issue. It is just my 20 year old daughter and myself traveling. The outlet may be great but it is hardly worth risking ones safety if that really is a concern. Yk noted the areas reputation and I noted a sidebar in one of the guide books that says to "be aware at all times" in that area. Not sure what we will do.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 11:46 AM

Well, does anyone know -- is the outlet worth it?
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 11:50 AM
yk

As I've said, the area is fine, as long as you go during daylight hours. I traveled alone (30s female) to Hackney last year which involved taking a train to Clapton Station and then a bus down Lower Clapton Road (aka, Murder Mile), and it was totally fine.

I don't know where you're from, but the sections I saw in Hackney were well-kept. The people around Hackney Central Station were of all sorts of ethnic background from Whites to Asians to Blacks, and of all sorts of ages, all minding their own business.

I felt safer there than in West Philadelphia, where I worked for several years in the late 1990s-early 2000s.

As long as you are street-smart, not showing wads of cash or a diamond Rolex, you should not have any problems.

My real question is, is it worth your time to go all the way to Hackeny to shop at an outlet???
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 12:42 PM

Good point by yk....I have gone to the Burberry outlet here in the Boston area and been underwhelmed. However, I am not a great fan, and what they have in the mother country may far exceed that which is available here in the colonies... Do please report back later!
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 03:50 PM

At one point there was an "outlet" near Paris. I went once... it was very unimpressive.

Also, a word of warning... KNOW YOUR PRICES!

In the fall of 2008 my mother was given a Burberry purse she didn't like. Since there is a Burberry store where I live I got to deal with the return exchange etc. As a result, I had a pretty good idea of the "pricing" for a lot of things. Went to the Burberry store near Harrods that December. Even after you got the VAT back the stuff cost a lot more. Some of the purses were the same in Pounds as in Dollars. (i.e., Purse cost $690 at the Altanta Burberry store and 690 Pounds at the London store!) So even if it was 20 percent off at an outlet... it probably still wasn't a "deal" LOL!
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 03:57 PM

Wouldn't walking out of a Burberry outlet with a handful of bags be just as bad if not worse than wearing a Rolex or displaying a wad of cash? The real question is "why in God;s name did they put an outlet there of all places?"
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 04:05 PM

>>>The real question is "why in God;s name did they put an outlet there of all places?"<<<

I'm guessing because it's Burberry.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 04:37 PM

Been there. It was about four years ago, and we took a suburban train to reach it. It's not a very nice area, and by that I mean it's pretty dodgy. Truthfully, the place was more of a mess than anything else. I don't think I'd recommend going there, but to each his own
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 12:46 AM

You can always but at the burberry outlet or online ... but make sure its authentic.. you can check how to detect authentic stuffs at burberryworld.com .
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 01:19 AM

I've been but I can get better prices at my local Burberry outlet here in Florida
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 03:37 AM

>>>The real question is "why in God;s name did they put an outlet there of all places?"<<<

Out of convenience for the local chavs?
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 04:24 AM

As people are hinting - don't expect to be treated with any degree of respect in London if you're wearing Burberry. It's the (counterfeit) uniform of the lumpen proletariat.

Keep it in your suitcase until you get home.

Conversely, if you want something that looks like burberry for sod-all then every street market is your friend.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 04:33 AM

Perhaps our American cousins aren't aware of Burberry's reputation in the UK. Hackney would seem a very appropriate site for the outlet store.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -