Reload this Page >

London and environs in February or March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 1999, 07:17 AM
Deb

I have been to London many times but never in the winter months (January, February & March). I am debating whether to go then with two friends who have never been. <BR> <BR>For those of you who have been in London at that time, could you give me the pluses and minuses? What tourist attractions are closed that would be a shame to miss? How bad is the weather? etc. <BR> <BR>Any thoughts are appreciated.

Old Nov 19th, 1999, 07:47 AM
elvira

Have been to London a couple of times in February - and had sunny 60 degree weather and damp 37 degree weather. In both cases, we had a great time. Everything is open: Tower of London, Kensington Palace, British Museum, etc. The crowds are lighter (I would still buy my Tower tickets at an underground station to avoid the lines) and you can get cheap airfares. The only downside would be that outdoor stuff (gardens, parks, waterskiing) is pretty much a no-go. If you take a Thames River cruise, the boats are partly enclosed (sit THERE). If the weather is good, take a walking tour; if the weather stinks, take a bus tour. <BR>It is when my sister pointed out an interesting phenomenon: the beer was warmer than the pub....

Old Nov 19th, 1999, 08:59 AM
xxx

We spent a week in London this past February and enjoyed spring like weather. Crocuses were in bloom. We kept an eye on the weather forecasts for London on the web and decided to leave heavy winter coats at home based on the 50s and 60s we were seeing. Made out fine with lined raincoats and medium weight jackets. Everything we were intersted in was up and running - in fact the city was really hopping as it turned out to be school holidays in much of Europe (we were there during the traditional New England Presidents Day vacation week). <BR>I'm sure we can only thank our dumb luck, but I dont think it rained a drop during our visit. Some sidewalk tables were open during the day at restaurants and we spent a good deal of time stolling around at night quite comfortably - even slept with the windows open!

Old Nov 19th, 1999, 09:09 AM
Erin

In my eyes, there are no "minuses" for going to London! London is like NYC, even in the dead of winter, there are always lots of tourists. The weather can be iffy at this time. I would recommend travelling the middle/end of March because your chances will be greater for somewhat decent weather. <BR> <BR>Also, take a day trip. When the weather was bad (rainy) in London, we took a train trip to Bath. The weather was perfect in Bath. Enjoy!

Old Nov 19th, 1999, 12:14 PM
elaine

My last trip to London was in early March 98 and we had day temps in the upper 50s-low 60s with drizzle only one day. <BR>Early spring flowers were everywhere. <BR>We had better weather then than I've had on summer and fall trips. <BR>Good luck