Search

London

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London

I am travelling to England in May and just have a number of questions to ask you.<BR>1. Is it worth to see the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London at 21.30? (I will be there for only 4 days.)<BR>2. Besides the Westminster Bridge, walking across which bridge gives you the best view of London's skyline? Tower Bridge at night? Millennium Bridge?<BR>3. Is it necessary to book a flight on the London Eye? A week or a day in advance?<BR>4. If you have seen it, how's Bombay Dreams?<BR>5. Have you eaten at Club Gascon near the Barbican Centre? I know they serve Southwestern French food tapas-style, but how expensive is each dish? (Different websites say different things.)<BR>6. What is the best dessert/pudding you have had in London? Where? <BR>Thanks.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 07:32 PM

with only 4 days book the eye definately...you will waste lots of time otherwise....i love the view from parliament bridge (westminster)--especially in the fog or at night when the clock rings...just near the eye...the best view ever in over 30 trips is from the top of the eye....<BR><BR>the best pudding is english bread and butter pudding at our friend sandy's house in oxted, surrey...sorry she doesn't take reservations....<BR><BR>english trifle if made well...<BR><BR>tower is way at one end of the city and getting back after 10pm may be difficult?? the beefeater tour is a must during the day....long lines for the crown jewels...do it early in the am...
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 07:44 PM
pj

I saw Bombay Dreams in Dec. I enjoyed it for what it is, a campy,bollywood,over the top production. I loved the music, it was packed and the audience was on its feet dancing to the music at the end. It was different and I really had fun.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 07:51 PM

2.I always enjoy walking on Hungerford footbridge in the night,especially the new ones are really beautiful.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 07:57 PM

If you want a surprise, try a dessert at the Cafe in the Crypt at St Martins in the Fields Church.<BR>I didn't have the bread pudding (which they had with custard sauce) but I had an apple pie with clotted cream that was wonderful. The crust was delicious and it was about three inches high.<BR>It is just a cafeteria, but the setting is very unusual.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 01:01 AM

A newer option for bridge-based views- the pedestrian bridges either side of Hungerford railway bridge, between the Festival Hall and Charing Cross, near the London Eye. One side shows you Westminster Bridge and Parliament, the other side Waterloo Bridge, St Pauls and the City.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 02:30 AM

I thought the ceremony of the keys was very worthwhile but there was a very small group the night I went. I've heard they sometimes let in quite a crowd (you do need to write away for tickets in advance) so I supposse that could diminish the enjoyment. But it was one of the highlights of my visit.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:31 AM

I adored Bombay Dreams and I was really not expecting to at all. I'm of Indian descent but I don't enjoy Bollywood films, or Indian music and I've never been into the Indian singing/ dancing thing.<BR><BR>But I thought this was one of the best musicals I've seen.<BR><BR>I also really loved 125th Street which I saw the following month.<BR><BR><BR>Desserts: I personally love the sticky toffee pudding at Browns on St Martins Lane (this Browns is just a bistro style restaurant chain not part of the posh hotel of the same name). I also always really enjoy desserts at Circus restaurant near Picadilly Circus.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:35 AM

For me the nicest bridge to walk over for the views is Waterloo Bridge at night. You can see Parliament to the West and the City and St Pauls to the East so you get the best of both worlds.<BR><BR>I would certainly book London Eye tickets in advance - go to their website www.british-airways.com/londoneye to find out the telephone number to make bookings.<BR><BR>Over puddings I'm very surprised that no one has mentioned the magical Sticky Toffee Pudding
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:37 AM

Whoops - Kavey beat me to it on sticky toffee pudding - obviously we share a sweet tooth!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:50 AM

Most people who attend the Ceremony of the Keys report that it was quite moving and worthwhile. However, recently some haev added that the atmosphere is significantly undermined by construction at the site. The tube runs til midnight, so you'll have no problems getting transport after the ceremony.<BR><BR>At the Tower, get there when they open, and go to the Crown Jewels FIRST, then work your way back to the entrance and pick up a Beefeater tour.<BR><BR>Personally, I would not book the Eye far in advance, since it's no fun in really bad weather. Perhaps a day or two in advance, when you can have a better idea of whether you'll be able to see things. . . .
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:53 AM

I really enjoyed the Ceremony of the Keys. It's all pomp and circumstance but I thought it was worth it. Write away for tickets NOW, though, because you might not be able to get them for May already.<BR><BR>And it is very easy to get around at night. The Tower is across the street from a tube station.<BR><BR>Besides the London Eye, you can also get a great view of London from the top of St. Paul's Cathedral.<BR><BR>Have fun!<BR>Karen
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:57 AM

St. Paul's is undergoing some major reconstruction work -- better check whether you CAN still go to the top, just in case. . . we did, and it was just wonderful.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 04:29 AM

Andrew-in-London<BR>I try and have other puddings when I go there but I just can't do it. Which is a shame as I like their creme brulee too.<BR>Where are you in London? Want to meet and talk travel over sticky toffee pudding? (Am not on pull, am happily married
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:01 AM

We went on the London Eye last July and walked right on, don't think I would book in advance, tourism is down and you could reserve for a bad day.<BR><BR>I thought the Ceremony of the Keys was worth the trip but would rank it below seeing theatre and the Jack the Ripper walk. If you have a free night though it's worth the time but send off for tickets now.<BR><BR>No problem getting from the Tower via public transportation after the ceremony.<BR><BR>I'll be back in May, I'll have to try that sticky toffee pudding!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:01 AM

Kavey - LOL over being on the pull! I live in SE London - drop me a line if you want on [email protected]
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:05 AM

I think it would not be a misspent life if one made a career of evaluating sticky toffee puddings.<BR>Best one I've had so far was at Rules in London. But that's only &quot;so far.&quot;
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:21 AM

Just returned from 6 days in London (March 28 to April 3--see my report) It may be different in May, but after getting advice on this site, I did not book ahead for the London Eye and we had no problem purchasing tickets and walking right on with probably only a 5 minute line in front of us. <BR><BR>Ate at Club Gascon (again, see my report) Beautiful place. Upon opening menu prices look very cheap. Then they tell you portions are very small and advise you to have 4 courses. Courses run from 8 to 10 pounds with the one most resembling an entree in the 14 to 20 range so if you follow the advice and get 4 courses your price for food without wine will run around 50 pounds plus or minus. The presentation and taste is IMO worth it. Heavy duty on the fois gras with maybe 10 different offerings. I had the sticky toffee pudding at Rules and though it was my first and only one so far, it certainly rang my chimes.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:59 AM

Have emailed!<BR>I used to always include a real email address in my posts back when those were displayed - and I keep meaning to sign off with it now it's not but I never remember.<BR>[email protected]
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:35 AM

JmVikmanis<BR>Did you agree that the portions were quite small or would you have been satiated with 3?<BR>Kavey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -