London 10 hour layover, left luggage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am connecting in LHR I have approzimately 10 hours between flights and I would like to take the tube to central London. I am familiar with the city and the tube network. I would like where fodorites recommend I leave my carry on. I can't walk around London with my roll on type carry on. My flights arrive and depart from T5. Is there left luggage in T5, or am I better off taking the carry on to one of the tube stops/train stations in central London. I plan on doing a little shopping in London, mainly for snack food that I can travel with and chocolates.

Any advice will be appreciated.u
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 01:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There is left luggage in each terminal -- but do allow time to queue to drop it off and queue to collect it.

Used to cost £6.50 per piece - but that may have gone up.
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks janisj, I've never needed to use a left luggage service in LHR. Just wondering if there are long lines at LHR's left luggage if I am better off travelling with carry on in tow to central London and leave it in left luggage somewhere there. My carry on won't be heavy so getting it on/off the tube and up/down stairs is no problem.
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 01:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
In Central London there is left luggage in the main line train stations but they can also have some lines. Since ytou are using the same terminal I'd personally drop the bag at LHR.

I haven't used it at T-5 and the lines may be long or non-existant. Really you just need to allow a little extra time on your return to LHR just in case there is a back up.
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 02:11 PM
yk

Heathrow T5 Left Luggage info: http://tinyurl.com/5gy443
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 03:46 PM

We've left luggage at LHR during a similar layout and it worked out well (we were doing a double redeye... New York to LHR... LHR to Nairobi).

Definitely leave yourself a little bit of extra time. It does take a while to re-collect your luggage and go through security again.

As an alternative to going into central London, we went to Kew Gardens and spent the day there and walking along the Thames.
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback. Kew is an excellent suggestion, but I will be transiting through LHR later this month, I will avoid Kew in winter.

astein12, if you have along layover at LHR in the future and you do not want to go to central London, consider Windsor or Richmond if you haven't been to either.
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 06:43 PM

Thanks... been to Windsor, but haven't made it to Richmond.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 02:17 PM

I had a very similar layover last month and loved the left luggage desk at LHR. As you come out from the customs area and hit the unsecured area, turn right. It's down that way a little bit on the right. It took about 10 minutes to drop my bag off due to a family repacking while in line, and about 5 minutes when I picked it up. It was 8GBP for the day.

I chose to use my 10 hour layover to go out to Windsor castle for the morning and was thrilled not to have to worry about my duffle bag.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 02:45 PM

There are generally no lines at the left luggage locations. They are on the arrivals level and it is called something like Excess Baggage. Easy and not too expensive. When I have done it, it has added no more than 5-10 minutes to my time on each end.