Londo-Paris via the Chunnel

Mar 9th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Jill

Londo-Paris via the Chunnel

Can anyone tell me about the Chunnel. Can you pick it up at Heathrow, where does it drop you in France? Is it a fast train transport in addition to being a motorway?

thank you

Mar 9th, 2001, 05:36 PM
Beth Anderson

for train travel, you would pick it up in Waterloo in London and it drops you off at the Gare du Nord if I am not mistaken. it's a three hour train ride. very fast.

someone correct me on the station in Paris - I am having a 'senior moment' a bit early today (or is it that jetlag...)

Mar 9th, 2001, 05:41 PM
Betsy

The above messagenger is right. The station for Eurostar is Gare du Nord. The name of the train you want is the Eurostar. You can buy tickets in the states, but its cheaper to get them once you're there. You must have a reservation, but those are secure when you buy the ticket.

Mar 9th, 2001, 06:11 PM
bbb

And you might do well to learn to call it the Channel tunnel, not that other name.

Akin to saying Frisco, which makes most people who live there roll their eyes.

It is NOT a motorway at all. Cars can be transported on the train, the same as people can, but no one drives a car through the Channel tunnel.

Mar 10th, 2001, 06:53 AM
mary c

Jill, I'm taking the Channel Tunnel from London into Paris and will confirm that it leaves from Waterloo and ends up at Gare du Nord station in Paris. From the heart of one city into the heart of another! That's one of the reasons I'm traveling that way. However, one book I read described the under-the-channel journey as a "17-minute black, silent, 100 mph nonevent". However, it will still be cool knowing you're traveling UNDER a body of water.

Incidentally, you can check out all the timetables at www.raileurope.com to better plan your trip.