Loire vineyards - any suggestions?

Apr 30th, 2001, 03:47 PM
aimee

Loire vineyards - any suggestions?

Any suggestions on vineyards to go to in the Loire Valley (I know there are a ton)? My husband and I will be staying in Amboise and would like to spend one afternoon taking a tour (and, of course, tasting)! Our manor house has bikes we can use to bike there, if there are vineyards that close by. Also, I prefer reds (all types) and he prefers sweeter whites, such as Vouvray, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Apr 30th, 2001, 04:05 PM
wendy

I don't know where you are based in the Loire, but since you mentioned Vouvray...

The vineyards extend across eight parishes (Vouvray, Rochecorbon, Ste-Radegonde, Parcay-Meslay, Vernou, Noizay, Chancay, and Reugny) Good Vouvrays taste like honey, and sometimes nuts and/or raisins.

A couple of estates great to visit by bike...
Chateau de Valmar...wonderful 17th c. gardens and produces good wine and also Chateau de Montcontour, (sits up high and quite majestically above the valley road outside Vouvray.) The best known producer of Vouvray is Domaine Huet, Le Haut-Lieu.

For a degustation and a wide selection of all Loire Wines visit Cave des producteurs des grands vins de Vouvray, 38 La Vallee Coquette, and they have hundreds of metres of galleries in the rock. Also at Rochecorbon, the Establissements Bredif has caves that date back to the 10th century.

You will have a marvelous time on bicycle in the Loire! (But you knew that!)

Bon voyage!
Wendy

May 1st, 2001, 06:43 AM
aimee

Thanks for the information, Wendy. I can't wait to get there!

May 1st, 2001, 07:19 AM
Curt

Amboise itself has many wine caves right in town (many of them just to the south of the chateau) the offer tastings. Where are staying in Amboise? We used the Manior Les Minimes just at the foot of the chateau and just to the south of the hotel along the river were many caves open for tastings and sales.

If you want to have a drink in a really neat place go to the Le Shaker on the island in the river...great cocktails and pretty decent food as well. Friendly place, small with great view across the river to the chateau. have fun Amboise is a great place.

May 1st, 2001, 07:33 AM
Beth Anderson

HI Aimee

If memory serves, you are staying east of the Vouvray area and it should not be too far to bike.

I picked up a little brochure/foldout map called "Route des Vins" in the Blois TI - great little map - it breaks the wines down by types, what sorts of foods go well, where to find... and of course has the official wine route mapped out - but believe me, if you can't find a vineyard there you must have been drinking too much!

reds - maybe try the Chinon area? too far to bike I think (unless you are hard core bikers) but make it another base to bike from? Not too far by car, at all. Plus you can visit Villandry & Azay le Rideau on the way there.

have fun! I am jealous...

May 1st, 2001, 08:28 AM
aimee

Curt and Beth: Thanks for the great info, too! Curt, we're staying at Le Vieux Manoir in Amboise - an old manor house (hence the name) that I read about on another discussion board. I already put the Le Shaker recommendation in my file, as I saw your previous post on the subject (or at least I think YOU posted it). Sounds like something we'll really enjoy! Thanks to all!