Loire Valley Wine, Food & Meandering Trip in September

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2009, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to France in September and wanted to explore Loire Valley. We plan to fly to Paris and then take the train to one of the cities and rent a car. We are in need of multiple recommendations: 1) hotel/inns where we can stay for 4-8 days or multiple hotels/inns where we can stay for a few days, and meander along. 2) sights we should not miss 3) best drivers/guides for hire for private wine exploration 4) possibility of bicycling a few days while we are there...thank you!
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:37 PM

The Loire valley was one of our favorite places on our recent trip to France. I wrote about it in my trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...and-france.cfm

I can highly recommend Auberge Du Bon Laboureur as a place to stay in Chenonceaux. Excellent restaurant (one Michelin star) and within an easy walk of the castle. The area is unbelievably picturesque. If you want to read more about the trip and pictures, go to my blog at www.maggiwun.blogspot.com.
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:58 PM
yk

Whats your budget for lodging? I find Amboise to be an excellent base for touring the Western Loire.
Old May 31st, 2009, 02:25 PM

I did that same kind of trip in May of '03 for 10 days. Loved driving around the Loire Valley (easy driving - and I was solo,first time driving in France). I did a trip report, which might be helpful to you, but don't know how to link it here. It was titled "Loire Valley/Paris - Trip Report". I mentioned the hotels, etc. I stayed a couple of nights in Tours, then rented car, and spent rest of time in Amboise, Chinon and Saumur. I preferred spliting up the time in several hotels to driving long distances each day. Tours is the best place to train into and rent car (St.Pierre des Corps for TGV -very close to Tours).
Old May 31st, 2009, 02:41 PM

Sights:

Chateau de Chenonceau -- take your time here
Chateau d'Amboise -- take the carriage exit out
Chateau de Cheverny -- Marlinspike Hall in Tintin
Chateau de Chambord -- go on the roof
Abbey de Fontevraud -- resting place of Plantagenet Kings
Chateau de Blois -- architectural styles of three eras
Le Clos Luce -- Da Vinci's last home

That should get you started.

Stay in Amboise. Eat under the shadow of the castle every night or every other.

Do NOT stay in Tours -- waste of your dang time. Amboise is central to any area as far west as Saumur or Chinon and as far east as Blois (or even to Orleans if you like driving) and is FAR nicer than Tours. This is not worthy of comparison.

Enjoy.
Old May 31st, 2009, 03:07 PM

Take the train to Tours and pick up your car there. Then get out of town. Head for Amboise or Blois for lodging. Depending on your budget, there are plenty of nice places to stay in either.

Big Russ's list is a good start. I would move after 2-3 days to the western Loire (Saumur or Angers) and spend another 2 days visiting that area (the château in Angers, the Jean-Lurçat museum), including some of the troglodyte dwellings.

The tourist office in any sizable town can give you information about renting bikes. So can most hotels. I don't think you need a private driver to visit wineries. Just google for information on visiting local vineyards. And there are dégustations everywhere.
Old May 31st, 2009, 03:11 PM
yk

Ugh! I always get my E-W confused. I meant to say that Amboise is a great base for <u>Eastern</u> Loire. We stayed at Le Clos de Amboise, a very affordable hotel in Amboise, within walking distance to the center of things.
http://www.leclosamboise.com/
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

These are all great recommendations - thank you!