Reload this Page >

Loire Valley Suggestions

Search

Loire Valley Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 1998, 04:57 PM
barbara

Loire Valley Suggestions

We're spending a week in the Loire Valley (staying in Angers) in October and would like to know favorite restaurants, chateaux, special finds, hotels, etc. <BR>

Old Jul 25th, 1998, 06:36 PM
Ellen

<BR>Don't forget to see Amboise, one of my favorite towns. Both the castle and Leonardo Da Vinci's home (can't remember the name). The town is charming. <BR> <BR>The chateau I most liked was Chenonceaux because of the great history and gardens. I was most disappointed with Chambord because it is really sterile and not furnished inside. <BR> <BR>Can't recall any excellent restaurants sorry but I do fondly remember all of the liquers available. I went to the local grocery store and bought some to take home and they are a special treat. There are also places to stop all over the place to sample and purchase!

Old Jul 26th, 1998, 08:41 AM
Dan

My wife and I stayed at a place called La Roserai in the town of Chenonceaux in September 1996. It was one of the highlights of our trip to France. The staff were enthusiastic and friendly and the meal we had -- on our anniversaary might -- was superb (I recommend the steak au poivre and escargot). There's a beautiful garden in the back of the hotel, and the prices are extremely reasonable. What's more, the chateau is practically in the backyard. As you race to "do" the Loire chateaus, a stay at La Roserai makes for a nice change of pace.

Old Jul 26th, 1998, 09:05 AM
kam

Domaine de la Tortiniere in Montbazon near Tours is a beautiful little chateau with great dining room. They also give cooking classes. You don't have to stay, just eat. Also in Montbazon is the very grand 2 star Chateau d"Artigny--great restaurant. Be sure to learn some of the history of the Loire---it explains why chateaux look as they do and the characters who built and lived in them--fascinating. It's also a wine area, although minor, but enjoy the local wines. Have a great week. <BR>

Old Jul 30th, 1998, 08:03 AM
anne

My likes and dislikes were the same as Ellen's (my, what excellent tast!!! - ha!). And a special treat in Amboise is their show put on after dark about the heyday of the town and chateau - Francois'(the 1 or some other number) reign and DaVincis time there. It was free when we were there 2 years ago - and we stood and watched with the townspeople, who cheered on their friends and family who were part of the production. <BR>We spent a night at Chateau Jallanges, near Vouvray - a lovely experience.