Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Loire Valley - Only 2 days, what should I ABSOLUTELY see??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 1999, 01:34 PM
Sara

My husband and I (with our 4 year old) are spending 3 nights in the Loire Valley at the Chateau de Chissay. Since we technically will have only two full days in the Loire Valley to tour around, which chateaux/sights/towns should we not miss? If anyone has any restaurant recommendations for this area, that would be great! Thanks!

Old Jul 31st, 1999, 04:01 PM
Catherine

Sara, The chateau of Chenonceau should not be missed.It is the most beautiful in my opinion. <BR>Azay le Rideau is lovely and the drive to it is nice if you go along the D84. <BR>Close to Azay, are the gardens of Villandry.There is a maze and a small playground for your daughter. <BR>The chateau of Cheverny is lovely.Your little girl might enjoy seeing all the hunting dogs.They are kept in an open kennel in the grounds. <BR>My favourite towns were Loches and Chinon. <BR>Hope you have a good holiday.

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 03:18 PM
Bill Fleites

Sara, Catherine is right on the money. For your two full days in the Loire valley. Day 1, go to Chenoncau (it is the most beautiful chateau in the valley) spend four hours or so there and then head out to Cheverny for the afternoon (a closer alternative but not as nice in my opinion is Chaumont sur Loire). Day 2, go to Villandry (see the beautiful gardens) in the morning, and then head to Azay le Rideau in the afternoon.

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 03:35 PM
Sara

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Any recommendations for restaurants in the areas you mention?

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 04:59 PM
Joan Doyle

Dear Sara: Record another vote for Chenonceaux. Also one for Amboise and one for Chambord (once the home of the Kings of France--before Louis XIV conceived of Versailles). Oh, and of course, don't miss Chartres while you're wandering around in this area. Don't worry about where to eat--it's almost impossible to get a bad meal in the "garden of France" and food and prices are in the windows of any spot you might wish to consider. Bon voyage and bon appetit! Joan

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 08:18 AM
Spero Theodore

I was stationed near Chinon back in 1957 <BR>at the U.S. Army's 7743rd Enginner Depot when France was still in NATO. Next month my wife and I are vacationing in Gt. Britain and France for three weeks. Definitely go to the Azay Le Ridieu chateau. From there there is a fairly short drive on the road that goes to Sache which was then a small village. On the way is the home of Jo Davidson named Becheron which may still be in his family. It was a 18th century coach stop and inn. Davidson was an American sculptor who lived in France after WW One and was a friend of many famous expatriates living in France, some of whom he sculpted. I bicyced there and was shown Jo's studio at Becheron. I don't know if the home is open to tours today. Further on down the road is Sache where Alaxander Calder once had a home. Sache has one of the homes that Balzac lived which was turned into a museum (Muse de Balzac). When I visited it last the first floor was the Balzac museum and the second floor had a collection of Jo Davidson's works on display. The food at local restaurants in Sache were excellent. My favorite wine was called Vouvray. It has been 42 years since I've been there but what I've described to you shoould still be there. We plan to take the train to Tours and from there rent a car and drive to the places I've mentioned as well as others in the area. By surfing a bit on the internet you can find a lot of info about the Loire Valley. Good luck and enjoy! <BR>Spero Theodore [email protected]

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 12:49 PM
cherie

Land sakes! Eat there...at the Ch d'Chissay.....they'll make YOU feel like YOURE the king! We did when we stayed there ......dress up and you won't forget it.

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 07:07 AM
Sara

Thanks again for all your helpful information. Spero, I hope that you have a wonderful time on your trip next month and enjoy seeing all those special places. <BR> <BR>Cherie, thanks for the heads-up on dining at the Chateau! We have reservations to dine there on our first night; how was your visit? Any helpful advise about the area? Did the Chateau de Chissay live up to your expectations? <BR> <BR>Also, any other restaurant recommendations would be great! Anyone familiar with Bon Laboureur? <BR> <BR>Sara

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 10:45 AM
cherie

Ate at Bon Laborer, too. It was more restaurant-like than the lovely chateau at Chissay. Bon Laborer was like dining in the dining room while the Ch d Ch was like dining in the Palace. The hotel was marvelous...the staff was never seen although my room was always clean and even had fresh roses on my dining room table. The bathroom was to die for with its mosaic inlay over the tub and the spaciousless of the suite was remarkable for European standards. The other guests were well-behaved. The hotel was superb. The staff even made reservations for us to spend the weekend in Barbizon after we left Chissay. The location is terrific---like the spokes of a wheel to the other castles. Easy driving; good roads.

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 04:15 AM
jim

cherie--just curious, would you say that the hotel bon laboreur's restaurant is worth passing up others in amboise, blois, etc. that are "just" restaurants? how much is a meal there? my parents and i tried to book a room at the bon laboreur for october, but it was only available one night for the nights were are going to be in the loire. do you, or anyone, have any other recommendations for special, mid-priced restaurants in the loire valley east of tours?

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 05:59 AM
Sara

Cherie, one more question about your stay at Chateau de Chissay: For dinner you mention dressing up. Does this mean that dining there is a formal event? Will my husband need to wear a jacket?

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 02:13 PM
Dan

For what it's worth: I don't disagree with the previous writers that the chateaux they mention are worth seeing (Azay-le-Rideau was my favorite) but I think you might miss the essence of the Loire if you RUSH to see the chateaux in the limited time you have and don't just amble through little towns like Saumur and Chinon and Amboise. We found surprises in each one - in Saumur, a little church where an old man who spoke little English and I with my high school French carried on a conversation about the master wood carvers who created the astounding wood sculptures in the area's churches; happening upon a little three-table restaurant where the old proprietress acted as hostess, cook and waiter - and did it all very well; the quiet of the noon-2PM hour when the shops close for lunch and you can wander down medieval alleys in solitude; the open air markets and of course the vineyards. With just a couple of days, don't spend too much time in the car going from place to place - spend as much time as you can on foot, taking in the ambience of these places. (But I also agree - if you can get to Chartres to see the cathedral before you leave, you'll be seeing an unforgettable monument(try to time the visit for the tour conducted by Englishman Malcolm Miller). Have a great time.