Loire Valley

Mar 19th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Leslie

Loire Valley

My husband and I will be in France for a week at the end of May and are trying to find a base in the Loire. Recommendations for a nice hotel (500-700FF per night) in a picturesque town, with a good restaurant and within biking distance to a chateau would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Mar 19th, 2001, 01:16 PM
StCirq

I think Amboise makes an ideal base for touring the Loire. It's a lovely, cheerful town, has its own brooding, blood-stained château, and also boasts the Clos Lucé where you can marvel at Leonardo da Vinci's astonishing inventions. There are good restaurants and cafés, and a lively Saturday market. From there you can bike easily to several other châteaux. For your hotel, I'd recommend the Lion d'Or, 17, quai Charles-Guinot (tel: 011-33-2-47-57-00-23; fax: 011-33-2-47-23-22-49 - that's direct dial from the USA, so apologies if you're not coming from the States). The hotel has a good restaurant as well.

Mar 19th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Rex

Here's at least two of the three criteria you are seeking: a good restaurant (not sure if it is exactly gourmet, but all Logis de france are known for the authenticity of their "terroir" menu offerings) and an easy bike ride to a chateau - - Chenonceau, in this case. I don't know if the town surrounding it is picturesque or not.

And like a number of other Logis de France, this one is just new enough that you may think it "un-charming". Add to that that it has the most UN-French sounding name of all the Logis de France in all the Loire valley - - Clair cottage - - see www.claircottage.com/hten for more details.

There are also three Logis de France right in Azay le Rideau. I just don't know much about them.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 19th, 2001, 05:50 PM
steve

My first choice is in Onzain (across the Loire from Chaumont). I have stayed twice at a hotel called Chateau des Tertes. However, I haven't seen it listed recently, so it might be out of business. If you can find it in a current reference, it has my highest recommendation. It was a Logis de France hotel. (any hotel listed in this guide should be good)

A second choice is Hotel du Grand Monarque (see rants & raves) in Azay-le-rideau. There is, of course, the castle there as well as nearby Usse, Villandry, and Chinon. All easily reached by bicycle. ( I was cycling when I stayed at both these hotels)

Mar 19th, 2001, 07:08 PM
Betsy

I agree with St. Cirq. Amboise is a wonderful small town that is well located.Amboise seems like a village, yet has just a bit more to offer. Clos Luce is facinating and has lovely grounds too. The main chateau has one of those light shows,(Luminaires? I think they're called)which sound kind of cheesy but I thought was kinda neat. Also, for what its worth, St.Cirq's advice has always been right on target for me!