Reload this Page >

Loire area chateau stays?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 11:51 AM
Joey Terrell

My wife and I would like to stay in a chateau in the Loire valley area? Any recommendations for reasonable priced rooms (around $150 or so) and how do I book it?

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 03:45 PM
cheryl Sloane

We stayed in the most incredible castle in the eastern Loire La Verrerie. near Aubigny sur Nere. We book by using an internet site but NOT Chateaux et Relais I think it is in your price range. Also recommend Montbrun which is a Chateaux Not a castle in the more travelled western Loire

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 05:40 PM
steve

30 years ago, I stayed at the Cheateau de Gue Pean near MontRichard. It was nice but I'm sure it was pretty expensive. Don't know if they still take guests, but they probably do. I'm almost certain that we got the name from Fodor's as that was our primary source of information back then

Old May 23rd, 2000, 02:53 PM
Carol

I just returned from a visit Normandy and the Loire valley. We spent a night at the Chateau du Prieure, which was not only a peaceful and enjoyable spot, but also the best value in accomodations we had during our trip. It is in a town call Chartene' which is accessible to Angers, Saumer, and Tours. The cost for a double room was 420 FF including breakfast (less than $60) and the accomodations were impeccable. Isabelle Charrier acquired and has been renovating the property, thus the good condition. As she has only had the property open to the public for a year, I believe that reservations are relatively easy to obtain and thus the fantastic price. Below is the description I have of the chateaux. <BR> <BR>"Just a few minutes from the Anjou's smallest village, the Chateau du Prieure welcomes you in the calm of beautiful, completely upspoilt countryside. The main body of the tufa-built house, with its decorative pilasters and small triangular pediment, brings the elegance of a 19th century family mansion into this rural setting. From the windows of your bedroom, you will be able to admire the 30-acre wooded grounds and the vast pond, well-stocked with fish, and its population of herons and wild ducks. 2 double rooms and 1 room with twin beds. All rooms are spacious and include a private bath and WC. Evening meal by reservations. On site: fishing and boating on the pond, mountain bikes available for guests. English and German spoken. <BR> <BR>The telephone number I have is <BR>02 41 82 73 22 or 02 41 82 17 20 <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 24th, 2000, 02:07 AM
Craig

Try: <BR>http://www.bbchannel.com/europe/Fran...re/Amboise.asp <BR>I have stayed in The Chateau De Pray before and had a wonderful time. The dinners are not to be missed (though you'll need to pack some casual dress clothes -- best to ask when you reserve). I can highly recomend it and at the prices (65-125$) you can't beat it. <BR>

Old May 25th, 2000, 03:36 PM
Lesli

I'm researching the same topic, and found good info on the Karen Brown site: http://www.karenbrown.com/ <BR> <BR>Check both the "Inns" and the "B & Bs", as there are chateaux and manors in both sections. A surprising number of them are under $100 US! (I had previously assumed all would be out of my price range.) Listings have photos, price ranges, dates, and whether or not English is spoken. You can also read guest feedback on the site's forum.

Old May 28th, 2000, 12:19 AM
mary

We are planning to be in the Loire next month. Planning to stay at least one night at Domaine des Hauts de Loire in Onzain (between Blois and Amboise). It is a Relais & Chateaux, but their rooms seem to be in that price range. It is located on a hill above the river, and the grounds are very pretty with swans, etc. Last year I stayed at a place nearby and went to the Domaine for a lovely dinner, and the desk clerk gave me a tour and showed me six or seven rooms. They were all immaculate and had interesting decor. I liked the ones in the annex better than the main building. The nearby place is also quite nice for a much lower cost - Chateau des Tertres, a three-star. At the time I was there it was operated by a young couple, who were very friendly and helpful. No elevators nor restaurant. <BR>I also second Cheryl's recommendation of La Verrerie near Aubigny Sur Nere. I was there two years ago. Gorgeous grounds. Found it a bit out of the way, though. <BR>