Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Logistics experts: What is the best way to visit thee three cities: Jerez, Lisbon, Porto?

Logistics experts: What is the best way to visit thee three cities: Jerez, Lisbon, Porto?

Nov 14th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Coming from NY, would it be best to fly into Porto, then train to Lisbon, then rent a car to drive to Jerez? How could I get to Jerez from Lisbon without renting a car?

From Jerez, what is/are the best way(s) to travel to Tanger and then on to Fez?
Nov 14th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Most TransAtlantic flights are to Lisbon rather than Porto. You could fly to Porto or take an Alfa Pendular (Train - 3 hours) there and back.

There's bus service Lisbon-Sevilla and you could take another bus to Jerez de la frontera; but you might have to go from Sevilla's Plaza de Armas bus station to Prado de San Sebastian bus station to get a southbound bus to Jerez. Check Eorolines for schedules Lisbon-Sevilla. From Jerez, you could bus to Algeciras where you can catch a Ferry to Tangier. Check ComesSA for Bus skeds from Jerez.
Nov 14th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the concise info, Nedsireland. I am thinking about a possible trip which would include Jerez and Porto for certain, as well as a few other spots. (I have not been to Portugal except for a day in the far north...) Adding Morocco may just make it too complicated for me..I will think about that portion and perhaps reconsider. Is there no convenient train route between Lisbon and Seville?
I would think about car rental but not sure about the drop-off fee for renting in Portugal and returning in Spain.
Nov 14th, 2006, 05:30 PM

I have devised a thread, "Seville to Lisbon by Public Transit: Cheat Sheet" which you can find by searching on 'cheat sheet' as a keyword and 'Spain' as the country. Once in Seville, you can train or bus to Jerez.
Nov 14th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Sue thank you for taking all that time..I will read closely and share the info with my possible travel partner.
Nov 15th, 2006, 03:11 AM

"Is there no convenient train route between Lisbon and Seville"
Yes, there is no convenient train route between those cities: You could take the overnight hotel train Lisbon-Madrid and AVE Madrid-Sevilla or CP Lisbon to Albufeira and a bus across the rio Guadiana to Huelva (Renfe Termino) or all the way to Sevilla
Nov 16th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, again, Ned...as I said, I will relay the information and see what we decide. This would be for a possible February trip, the highlight of which would be a visit to Porto and to Jerez to visit the winemakers at both places. I was hoping we could tack on a week in Morocco at the end but it seems a bit complicated....