Lodging in Portugal during Euro2004?

Jun 20th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Lodging in Portugal during Euro2004?

I will love to see few games during Euro2004 in Portugal. The tickets won't be a problem, but since I have not been to Portugal before, I would like to get some suggestions for average to above average hotels in Lisbon, Porto, Aveiro, Coimbra and/or any other city involved with the tournament.
Also, what's the best way to get around the country? Trains? Planes? Are there any local discount airlines in Portugal? If so, do they have a website?
Any other info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Jun 20th, 2003, 06:06 PM

I have absolutely no information to offer you, but I do have a question: How are you coping with the departure of Mr. Beckham? Are you like every other ManU fan I know who are now saying that he didn't do much for them this year, so good riddance? Nice.

So does this mean Beckham will be banned from the England team, just like Steve McMannaman, for playing for Real Madrid?

Jun 20th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Wow, welcome back!!!
Did not get any congratulations from Liverpool fans after MU took the trophy ! Amazing run!!!
How do I feel? To be totally honest, about 50/50. He was one of my favorite players on the squad. I will try to follow his career as much as I can. I just hope the worst nightmare won't happen, Real and ManU in the Champions League final with a minute to go, all tied up, and a free kick from about 35 yards out for Real. So I will miss him, but the reality of todays sports, especially popular team sports, with all the high finances, as a fan you have to expect something like this. I'm also a huge American football fan, and please don't laugh, Chicago Bears, and besides the fact that the team has been average(at best) for about last 10 years, they as well as other teams deal with exactly this sort of thing every year. After Bears won the Superbowl in 85, they let go of one(at least in my mind) of major reasons why they were so dominating on defense. Guess what?the team did not win another trophy after and it basically it just went down the hill for the Bears since. In that case I do believe that a loss of a very important part of the team cost them few championships. Will it happen with ManU? I don't know, but lets face it, most players, as much as they may love the game, team and their teammates, are also realistic about the one shot at making some serious money. Do I blame them, no, I and I'm sure the majority of the population would do the same thing if given the chance. I also believe that most of these players still go out on the field and try to do the best they can, although we all have seen few that as soon as they deposited the HUGE check in the bank were looking to get out. Anyway, I will miss #7, but as a fan of ManU I will boo him, when and if he is on the opposite side of the field.
I do believe he will be on the national team, UNLESS, he, like Steve finds himself sitting on the bench, which could happen, with all the stars playing for Real. At the same time I think Real, at least the business part, knows they have a potential huge money maker for the team, so, I do think he will be on the field more than not.
Nice hearing from you Ann41, and maybe we could have a beer before a MU and Liverpool match this season?
Jun 21st, 2003, 01:59 AM

AAFrequentflyer, Let's see if I can help you as I live in Lisbon. First of all,make sure to make reservations in the hotels well in advance as we are expecting many people.
In LIsbon, if you want to stay centraly located you have the Hotel Avenida Palace, in the Rossio.It's a very good hotel not very pricey. If you want above average hotels centraly located you have the Ritz and the Hotel Dom Pedro. This last one is more modern.
I would also recommend you , if you don't mind staying away from the center, the Hotel da Lapa or the Carlton Palace. Do a search on them on google.
In Porto you have a Meridien and a Pestana hotel, both are recommended hotels.
In Coimbra I would stay in the Quinta das Lagrimas , it's lovely, full of history and belongs to the Relais et Chateaux chain.
But before you book any hotel , the best lodging in Portugal is in Pousadas. You have many throughout the country. The website is www.pousadas.pt
They have an english version. They offer excelent service and lodging and aren't very expensive. But that will depend on where the games will be.

The best way to get around the country is to rent a car. You can easily go from North to south through highways.
In Portugal the airports we have are in Lisbon, Porto and Faro (in the Algarve) and Portugal is such a small country you don't need to take planes. If you don't want to rent a car consider using the trains.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask .

Teresa
Jun 21st, 2003, 09:49 AM

Wait a minute! I did post my congratulations! I am nothing if not a good loser, which you have to be if you've been a Liverpool fan since 1992.

I thought Arsenal threw it away, but ManU did everything they had to do to be ready to take the trophy off of them.

Last season (2001-2002), Steve played pretty consistently, and Raul and Figo both said he was the best player on the team that year, yet Ericcson still overlooked him. Good for me, as I'm an Ireland fan (my husband's from N.Ireland). Much better idea to put Phil Neville in midfield!

Meanwhile, I'm just waiting to see if we make any decent buys this summer. Fingers crossed on Duff. Finnan should be good (Carragher wouldn't go into the opposing half if his life depended on it). I'd love to see Kewell join us, but looks like he's headed for Barcelona. Or has the gossip changed?
Jun 21st, 2003, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Thamks Teresa,
I just found out that the only way to reserve a room during the tournament is through official Euro2004 agency that has been set-up just for that reason. All the hotel rooms have been blocked, at least in Lisbon. I will know at the end of July what kind of tickets I will have, so I will wait to see where and when I need a room.
Ann41, are you and your hubby thinking about attending Euro2004? Also, do you live in the UK or US? No difference, just curious.
I have some great friends in Bangor, Co-Down, N.I. They have a condo here on Siesta Key, so between them being here about 4 times a year, and me traveling to Europe just as many times, we spend a lot of quality drinking time together . Their son-in-law is also a huge MU fan.
I'm thinking about an early season game in September when Arsenal will visit Old Trafford. It sould be interesting to say the least. As far as transfers are concerned, I pretty much gave up speculating, because in most cases nobody had the right guess anyway, till about a day or 2 before it actually happens.
Have a great weekend!
Jun 21st, 2003, 05:34 PM

We recently moved to Northern Ireland from the US.

Not sure about Portugal. Ireland basically has to win their remaining matches to qualify. Possible, but I'm not holding my breath.

Can't imagine we can get ticket for Lpool's home opener against Chelsea, but think we can score tickets for away at Villa and home to Tottenham.

You must be excited about United's US tour this summer. It seems like all of our friends are ManU fans, and are following them all over the country.