Lodging in (or very close to) Invernes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2019, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be going to Scotland in June. I have read that people do not like Inverness as a destination.

However, we do not have a car and we want to stay where we can walk to restaurants for dinner. Also we will be taking the Rabbie 1 day tour to Skye and it leaves from the Inverness bus station at 8:00 AM. Not being a morning person, this is already hard for me, and if we are in some lovely locale at any distance, it only adds to what will already be a tough morning for me. I would not want the travel time to the bus station (be it on foot or via taxi) to be anything more than 10-15 minutes.

Ideas? We will be in the area for a total of 3 nights, and will meet some friends and will be going on other possible day trips w/them. Thanks to all of the Scotland experts!
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 11:45 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Can't post fully right now . . . But in your situation staying IN Inverness is the only practical option. Inverness isn't a terrible place, it is just whe one has a car it is nicer to stay out of town.

Will post some suggestions when I get home
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, janis!! I feel so much better knowing that you are "on the case."
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 02:17 PM

The Pentahotel is nice and within easy walking distance of the Bus Station ( a few minutes at most) but I really like the Glen Mhor situated on the River Ness with a good little bistro and pleasant rooms. I'm sure it's no more than a 10/15 minute taxi ride to the station. It's been years since I've stayed at the Royal Highland Hotel just opposite the train station but liked it well enough. Lots of Scottish charm when I was last there.
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 05:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The Glen Mhor is is a very nice location -- I stayed there once with a very large family group but it was years ago so I can't comment re the decor and service now. It is actually only about half a mile from the station - though because of the one way road layout it would be about 1.5 miles by taxi.
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 05:28 PM

I stayed there in 2017 when on a Rabbies tour.
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 10:28 AM

I don't what your budget or preferences in lodging are but I recently booked Rossmount Guest House, 32 Argyle Street. It gets excellent reviews on TripAdvisor.

It is about a 10 minute walk to Bus Station.
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone who offered help. We really wanted some place that was kind of Scottish in its ambience and so we steered away from the modern "block" type structures. I should have started sooner, b/c so many hotels are sold out for our dates, which unfortunately for us fall over a week-end, so we are competing with lots of local travelers as well as those like us from farther afield. Glen Mhor and Royal Highland are sold out as are many others, but I was able to book at Rossmount, so thank you, jewing.
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

PS, Apologies for the typo misspelling in the post title....I am so chagrined!!