Lodging and Sights in Amsterdam?

Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Lodging and Sights in Amsterdam?

Will be in Amsterdam approximately six days in late June. Suggestions for lodging and "must sees or must dos!!
Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:21 AM

Replies will be a little more meaningful and considered if you do some basic research and ask questions that build on that research, your expressed likes, etc..

Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:42 AM

It's very easy to get the "Must Sees" for any tourist city... go to the "Destinations" section of this website and also Frommers.com... you can get "itineraries" and descriptive info on all the customary sights.

Suggestions for lodging depend on your budget per night and how many will be in the room...

Another way to collect information from the forum is to enter "amsterdam" into the forum search so you can filter threads that discuss pertinent topics about Amsterdam, including many hotel discussions.
Jun 3rd, 2007, 12:14 AM

Have a look at the site of the tourist office and decide what you like to see and do.
http://www.vvvamsterdam.nl/
Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for Must sees link and suggestions---usually have more time to research but just retired from hectic job on the 1st and have had no time to review tourist bbooks--just starting yesterday and today.
Jun 4th, 2007, 08:50 AM

What about the hotel? What's your price range, number of people sharing a room and the travel dates..?
Jun 4th, 2007, 08:57 AM

LAZY PEOPLE!
Jun 4th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Will be in Amsterdam June 27th (arrival) and leaving July 3rd. There are two of us--trying to stay below $150 US a night but will go a little higher. Realize that we are VERY LATE in trying to pull this together. I retired June 1st---was working most week-ends and not getting home until nine or so PM during the weekafter leaving home 6:30 Am. 50th wedding anniversary was the 2nd. THere has just been no time to plan. We are usually much better prepared. We have spent last two days on computer trying to locate rooms--Have hotel in Brussels but not in Amsterdam. We are not LAZY people--just had too full a plate.
Jun 4th, 2007, 02:25 PM

I'd try several things:
Hotwire
Priceline (check betterbidding.com for both Priceline and Hotwire info)
Bestwestern.com
Laterooms.com
Ratestogo.com
Lastminute.com
Jun 4th, 2007, 03:33 PM

sbruner,

You have a few weeks. Do not panic.

For lodging try the Hotel Ambassade.

Fot sights get a copy of the DK Eyewitness book on Amsterdam.

Jun 4th, 2007, 03:34 PM

I forgot to mention, go over to Haarlem for a day trip.

Jun 4th, 2007, 03:36 PM

The Ambassade is much more than $150 USD per night, though.
Jun 4th, 2007, 04:36 PM

Perhaps, but you only live once.
Jun 4th, 2007, 04:43 PM

We stayed in a Best Western Hotel on the same street as the museum Rujks. It was very nice. Go to my web site EmilyandJim.info search on yahoo we have a agenda for our trip and some photos...
Jun 4th, 2007, 08:02 PM

I haven't checked availability nor the prices but look at some of these...

Hotel Singel
Owl Hotel
Bridge Hotel
Jun 4th, 2007, 09:51 PM

If you can't book a hotel that is affordable in Amsterdam, book one in Haarlem, Utrecht, Leiden, or other nearby city. Train service is fantastic and quick, plus those cities have wonderful sights of their own to see. With 6 days, you should visit some other places anyway. In Amsterdam, do not miss the Rijksmuseum (whatever parts are open if it's still being renovated), the Anne Frank Museum, and the Van Gogh museum. Wander the streets aimlessly, take a canal boat ride, eat at cafes, check out the churches, eat fantastic dutch pancakes, sneak a peek at the sleazy red light district at night. Rent bikes (available at train stations in Holland) and ride the wonderful bike paths and dedicated bike lanes on the roads. There are practically no hills in the whole country so you don't need to be an athlete to ride. Stop at a VVV office (dutch equivalent of AAA) and get maps. Ask about discounts on tourist sights. Nearly all Dutch people speak English and in my experience they are the friendliest, most helpful and gracious people anywhere. Try to journey somewhere outside of Amsterdam where you can see windmills. They are really cool.
Jun 8th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for great ideas--finally have a place to stay. Appreciate thoughts on places not to miss. There are so many museums that it is hard to sort through. Now have pulled books on Van Gogh, Rembrandt and Bruegel. Our little library not too accomodating We are walkers and like to take time to observe our surroundings---would rather do less and feel like we know a place. We purchased an Amsterdam guide book--Frommers, and I am pouring over that. It also lists side trips to Hague and Haarlem. Thanks again
Jun 8th, 2007, 10:18 AM

Places I would recommend you see: Rijks museum, Van Gogh museum, Anne Frank Huis, Our Lord in the Attic church, Dutch resistance museum, newkirk, ouldkirk, bujinhof, take a canal cruise. We did a long weekend in amsterdam a few years back - my trip report should still be here if you search under Queen's Day. For dinners, we enjoyed LeZinc and der Blonde Hollander. Green Lantern was recommended but even knowing it was fondue...we did not enjoy at all.
Jun 8th, 2007, 12:26 PM

If you are going to be in the Brussels area, try to take a day or two and see Brugges. It is a wonderful place, compact, sites to see and you can also take a day tour of the western front/ipres area. We stayed at Hotel Bryghia twice while there.
Jun 11th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Trip starting to come together with all the valuable input. We are going to Brussels for four days, counting day of arrival--then on to Brugge with a day stop over in Ghent--and could go back if wanted more time. We are in Brugge (at the Bryghia) for three nights before moving on to Amsterdam for six days. DO plan a sidetrip to at least Haarlem. Question whether we should spend a day in Antwerp on the way to Amsterdam--train goes through Antwerp--or just move on to Amsterdam. Appreciate suggestions for museums and churches in Amsterdam. I gather that the Rijkmuseum has the major part closed for renovations. Does the entrance fee remain the same for the part that is open and is it worth it--not sure what on display.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO