Locations in London

Mar 24th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Locations in London

I'm posting both in the Lounge and on the Europe board for the greatest input.

I'm beginning to think seriously about where we'd like to live in London for our four months in 2010. I've contacted the London School of Economics (LSE) about apartments in their residences and they have some that would suit us. Would you please tell me what you know about these locations.

Just for background, we've always lived in the city, downtown, and like to be near public transportation and places to walk, but we'll also need to do grocery and pharmacy shopping, etc. Here are the locations:

Bankside House (24 Sumner Street):
On the map, it seems to be between Southwark Street and the Tate Modern at the Millenium Bridge. The website says: "With its outstanding location just off the River Thames in central London, Bankside House is within easy reach of both the City of London and the West End. Attractions in the local area include the Tate Modern Gallery, Shakespeare's Globe, St Paul's Cathedral and Borough Market. There is easy access to Canary Wharf via the Jubilee Line on London Underground. A number of excellent boutiques, bars, shops and restaurants have recently opened in the Bankside area that are well worth a visit."

Grosvenor House (141-143 Drury Lane):
On the map, it's near Covent Gardens and the Royal Opera House, near a curved little street called Aldwych. The website says: "The residence is located on Drury Lane just a two minute walk from the main piazza of Covent Garden and within easy reach of Oxford Street, Leicester Square, Piccadilly Circus and Theatreland. With its prime location in the very heart of central London, Grosvenor House is the perfect place to stay for access to the West End and all its sites. As well as being with easy reach of Covent Garden and the West End, London's main shopping areas and the British Museum, Grosvenor House also has great access to The City, Canary Wharf and all of the famous sites of central London."

Northumberland House (8a Northumberland Avenue):
On the map it's near Whitehall and Charing Cross Road. The website says: "Located on Northumberland Avenue, just off Trafalgar Square, Northumberland House is a magnificent, recently refurbished Grade II listed building. Northumberland House is just a short stroll from Trafalgar Square in central London placing it right in the middle of all the world famous attractions that London has to offer. With the National Gallery, the London Eye, Buckingham Palace, the Houses of Parliament and much more on your doorstep, you'll be spoiled for choice of what to do. Transport links to the rest of the capital are also very nearby."

Can you tell me what you know about these?

Thanks
Mar 24th, 2009, 08:08 PM

Any of the three would be absolutely fine -- You honestly could not make a bad choice. But for 4 months I'd personally pick Drury Lane 1st choice, and Bankside 2nd.

Drury Lane is in the middle of many theatres, restaurants, pubs etc and is walking distance to LOTS of sites major and minor and has a more interesting vibe than Northumberland. Bankside is good too (I did say you can't make a bad choice here) -- it is very close to the river and all the southbank arts venues and especially Borough Market.

I think I'd probably finally choose based on the size/amenities of the specific apartment.
Mar 24th, 2009, 08:17 PM

I just replied on your Lounge post and also favored the Grosvenor, for the reasons janisj mentions.
Mar 25th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Yup -- so far Grosvernor seems to be in the lead! Thanks very much for your input.
Mar 25th, 2009, 05:33 AM

I would also pick Drury Lane first, Bankside next.

Four months in London, sigh... may I let you know how green I am?
Mar 25th, 2009, 05:53 AM
yk

The only thing I would add, is to find out if the apartment you rent faces the main street or back street (or even inner courtyard). I'm worried that the Drury Lane location can get rather noisy at night, esp on weekends. The Bankside one probably is in a quieter neighborhood.

I've stayed at the Northumberland location before and my room faces the inside "courtyard" so it's very quiet. But on tripadvisor there are folks who complained about the noise because their rooms face the main road.
Mar 25th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

That's a good thing to remember to ask yk. I'd have to go back and look at the websites again, but if I remember correctly at least one of these apartments is on the top floor of an 11 storey building, so maybe that would help with street noise.

Thanks for reminding me about that.