Reload this Page >

Locanda Dell Amorosa too high - help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 01:16 PM
sherry

After spending much of our trip in large cities (Rome, FLorence & Venice) we are interested in spending 2 nights in the tuscan countryside. Did some research and decided the Locanda Dell Amorosa sounds lovely, but we were quoted over $300/night. Is there anything of this type of place for less $? We also looked into Vecchia Oliviera, Villa Scacciapiensieri, Montorio, Borgo SAn Felice - any info?

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 02:24 PM
kam

Just some names for you, no first hand experience. The Locanda is pretty unique. Assuming you want to be outside of a city, look at Locanda la Bandita in Sinalunga, and Relais Borgo di Toiano in Sovicille. Two more I have written down but haven't really researched are La Bottega di Volpaia ([email protected]) and Fattoria Vignale in Radda. The one I do know and have stayed at and would recommend highly is Tenuta di Ricavo near Castellina in Chianti, but I think it's probably pretty much up there with the Locanda and is only for folks wanted really rustic, quiet place with great food. Not really recommendations. Just a place for you to start. Hope this helps a bit.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 02:32 PM
kam

Additional info: www.locandadibandita.it It's a Karen Brown recommendation and closer to the autostrada than Locanda dell Amorosa.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Sherry

Hi Sherry. Because of the good press in Wine Spectator and Bon Appetite, we picked Podere Collelungo in Castellina in Chianti.<BR>I thought the apartments were very reasonable and it looks lovely. They do not have a restaurant, though. So if you do not want to prepare your own meals, you must depend on going into town.<BR>We do not stay there untilthe end of next month, so I cannot give my personal experiences.<BR>We booked early and received a 12% discount and we are renting half in the low season and half in high season. Our apartment is $581 for the week with everything included(heat, cleaning, linens.) We have a kitchen, full bath with tub, fireplace, bedroom and terrace area.<BR>I don't envy you the decision making. Good luck

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 07:19 PM
Sherry

Thank you everyone for your info.. wea re only spending two days in tuscany(after FLorence) Has anyone heard of the Montorio in Montepulciano? Is that toofar from Florence? Waht about the Vecchia Oliviera?

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:42 AM
Julie

We stayed in Pienza at the Chiostro de Pienza and paid about $150 per night for a spacious double room (junior suite type) with views from both our bedroom and bath over the Tuscan hills. It has a nice pool and pretty good restaurant. The place has charm but it is a small hotel, not a quaint guesthouse. It's in the middle of Pienza, a great small town in the middle of Southern Tuscany making days trips to Montalcino, Montapulciano and others very doable. We'd go there again.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:32 AM
Sherry

Hi Sherry. I have heard of the Vecchia Olivera. It is about 100km from Florence and 50km from Siena. But I do not have first hand experience.More information on it on wwwcharmingtuscany.com.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 06:06 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Sherry, For a real sleeper--no pun intended--go to www.lacosta.it. It is only about 10 miles down the road from Amorosa and great value. I assume no AC however--when are you going?

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 08:45 AM
Sherry

Bob,<BR>We are going the first week in May, so A/C probably won't be a concern, but ambiance is. We are looking for something very scenic not far from a great town with great accomodations for less than $200/night. Is this asking too much?

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 10:29 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Sherry, At that price point do a search and find Castello di Spaltenna near Gaiole and Relais della Rovere near Colle. Both have great food as well.<BR>However, do look at La Costa.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 06:31 AM
Sherry

Has anyone ever heard of Montorio near Montepulciano. Is it too far from Florence to travel to? Trying to decide between Montorio and Vecchia Oliviera.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 08:33 AM
Sherry

Hi Sherry. Maybe I do not understand what you are asking.<BR>Montepulciano is about an hour and a half on the A1 from Florence.<BR>Are you planning to drive back to Florence to visit, or are you wanting to know how long it will take to get from there for your stay?<BR>Only you can decide if that is too far a drive. It is an easy one, though. <BR>

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 02:12 PM
Sherry

Sherry,<BR>We are renting a car in Florence, so I assume we must drop it off in Florence before heading to Venice. Would it be better to stay near Montalcino or Siena?

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 07:27 AM
xxx

topping<BR>

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 06:09 AM
dolcepienza

I have stayed at the Vecchia Olivera in Montalcino twice and really loved it (once in a double, once in a single). It is very central, at the gate to the wonderful hill town and has a nice lawn garden area with a pool and gorgeous views of the countryside. I would just sit back there and look out and enjoy. The rooms also had great views, antiques and charming decor, the breakfast was good, the staff was nice, and the building was charming and lovely. It is one of my favorite places to stay anywhere! I would (and will!) go there again whenever I can get a room! Montalcino is a great base town with wonderful wine tasting in the Fortezza etc. And best of all, the V.O. prices were less than for a three star in Firenze. <BR><BR>I also stayed at the Chiosstro di Pienza, one of my other favorite hotels, in my favorite little Tuscan town, Pienza. It is an old cloister in the heart of this jewel of Renaissance architecture, such a beautiful place. Rooms are very nice, the cloister and building are beautiful, there is a lawn and pool, and the resturant is good. They even have a nice cat, Ariosto, who they sent up in the elevator with us because we were missing our cat! Prices are again cheaper than Firenze. So of these two, I would have a hard time choosing, because the ambance is different. The V.O. is smaller and more charming and the Chiostro is more like a hotel, but lovely. I would spend two nights at the V.O. and one at the chiostro since Montalcino and Pienza are my top two towns in Tuscany. Have a great trip!

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 06:43 AM
Sherry

Since we only have two days to spend in Tuscany, is Montalcino a good choice? We have to make our way back to FLorence(to return the car) before taking the train to Venice.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:28 AM
xxx

topping...

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:10 AM
Helen

The Locanda is really worth the money. I stayed there during a biking trip through Tuscany in the summer of 2000, and it was exquisite.<BR>Otherwise, I would recommend staying in Castellina at Podere Collelungo. Although I've not personally stayed there, I've gone by wine spectator's recommendations several times, and they've never been disappointments.<BR>Really, anywhere in Tuscany is lovely (I know this doesn't make it easier!). The trick is to relax, unwind and not get wrapped up in all the tourist sites to see, especially after having done a whirlwind tour of the Rome, Florence and Venice. Go to a wine/cheese/honey tasting. Rent a bike. Walk through the towns. Enjoy the pace of life there. It's a breathtaking spot in the world. You'll enjoy it! And make sure you splurge on a bottle of some nice Brunello. Happy travels!

Old May 9th, 2006, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dolcepienza - you have replied to this message that you have stayed both in a double and single room at Vecchia Oliviera.

Since I am planning on a possible stay there in September, and I will need BOTH a double and a single, can you please give me some first-hand info especially regarding the single? How small is it? Does it have a view? Is it a good room for one person, etc.? Many thanks in advance
Date: 03/30/2002, 10:09 am
I have stayed at the Vecchia Olivera in Montalcino twice and really loved it (once in a double, once in a single). It is very central, at the gate to the wonderful hill town and has a nice lawn garden area with a pool and gorgeous views of the countryside. I would just sit back there and look out and enjoy. The rooms also had great views, antiques and charming decor, the breakfast was good, the staff was nice, and the building was charming and lovely. It is one of my favorite places to stay anywhere! I would (and will!) go there again whenever I can get a room! Montalcino is a great base town with wonderful wine tasting in the Fortezza etc. And best of all, the V.O. prices were less than for a three star in Firenze.

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another vote for Il Chiostro di Pienza!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -