Locanda dell'Amorosa how far from....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always wanted to stay at Locanda dell'Amorosa, but I am worried that it is too inconveniently located. We want to visit Pienza (and surrounding hill towns), Volterra, San Gimignano and possibly a cooking class in Siena. I stayed at La Saracina last year and loved it, but we are traveling with our daughters and need accommodations for 4 without breaking the bank. Dell'Amorosa has and apartment.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 08:29 AM

If you will have a car and don't mind driving on slower roads, none of the places you want to visit would be a problem from LdA.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 08:33 AM
ira

Hi P,

You can find routes and travel times at www.viamichelin.com and www.mappy.com

Old Nov 25th, 2006, 08:39 AM

We stayed at Locanda Amorosa last year. I plan to come back for my 20th anniversary. We did tour towns from there, Cortona, Pienza, Montlecino, Montlepulciano. Didn't seem like to long of drives. Our friends hoped on a train to see Rome for the day, from Chiuso. Our biggest complaint is that we did not just hang out for the day at the hotel.

Old Nov 25th, 2006, 08:44 AM

We loved Locanda dell'Amorosa. We daytripped to Montepulciano, Pienza, Sant'Antimo Abbey, Montalcino, Barbi winery. We didn't go to Volterra so I can't speak to the distance there. We stayed in San Gimignano for 3 nights prior to Locanda so I can't speak to that for a daytrip either. Are you aware that La Saracina has accommodations for 4 - a small apartment that's lovely. (Another couple traveled with us last year and we shared the apartment - each had a bedroom & bathroom with shared living room/kitchen with fireplace) Hope this helps...
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Just as I was about to book Amorosa... No, I didn't know that La Saracina could accommodate 4....more choices. Actually I emailed them and there was no reply. I'll try again today.
Thanks Ira that helps.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 04:22 AM

It's a beautiful hotel, nicely located if you enjoy driving through the countryside. The road to Siena is pretty much like interstates and it's a quick drive.

The rooms are spacious and a little too modern to suit my tastes; the staff is excellent.

Everybody else seems to rave about the restaurant which we found VERY disappointing; service was gestapo-like and the food not remotely what was described in the menu. We were there on opening day of the season and perhaps that explains the problems. Breakfast was excellent.

They used to close for the winter and were slow to respond to emails at that time. It appears now that they may be open year round.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with a stay there. You might want to eat in town at least once. Osteria delle Grotte, via Matteotti 33, tel 0577 630269 was a great and inexpensive experience; they speak virtually no English and have no menu, waiter tells you what they're serving that night. Food was very good and only €44 for two with wine and desert.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

I have read mixed reviews on the restaurant so we weren't planning on eating there. Thanks for Osteria delle Grotte, it sounds like the perfect place for us.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 01:41 PM

Anyone know what's up with the apartment page on La Saracina web site?

I get a message "Hacked by Mortal Head" when I try to enter that page to see the pics (??!!)
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

I have also sent two emails with no response.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 08:52 AM

You're right - the web site has a problem. I got the same strange "hacked..." issue. I'd be glad to describe in detail the layout of the apartment & rooms if that would help. To me, the location is perfect for exploring the areas you're interested in, but back to your original question, dell'Amorosa is a fabulous property & location as well. Having stayed in both, we did prefer La Saracina's location but with a slight edge. Since you've stayed at La Saracina before, you just need specific info about the apartment which the website isn't able to provide.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 11:22 PM

Keep trying La Saracina. As Dork. told me about a week ago (after 2 emails) to just keep trying and I sent out a 3rd (maybe it was a 4th) they finally answered last week.