Reload this Page >

Local transportation-Loch Ard/Sterling

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Richard Kogut

My wife and I will soon be traveling to a resort on Loch Ard. I believe that we can get from Glasgow to Sterling by train. What would be the best way to go from Sterling to the Loch Ard area? We will not be traveling by automobile.......<BR> Thank you

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 10:38 AM
janis

If you are staying at Forest Hills on Loch Ard you will definitely need a car. In fact the literature the resort sends to guests clearly states a car is necessary. One bus a day each way is all you will see. The resort is really great - but is five miles down a very narrow road from the nearest town - Aberfoyle. There is nothing within walking distance except the Loch and a very small general store (about the size of my small living room) <BR><BR>There is a LOT to see in the area from Stirling to Callander to Loch Lomond at Inversnaid to Glen Coe to, to ,to Just a LOT to see - but almost none of it is accessible by bus from Loch Ard. <BR><BR>If for some reason you simply cannot drive - the contact the resort and ask them to recommend a private driver. <BR>

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Sheila

It's not that far by taxi. But get the hotel to book it for you.<BR><BR>http://www.foresthills-hotel.co.uk/pages/travel_fh.html<BR><BR>Have a great trip and come back if there's anything we can help you with

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 11:03 AM
janis

My comments were about what to do after you got to the resort - I freaked when you said you wouldn't have a car and completely forgot to answer about how to get there from Stirling.<BR><BR>Sheila is correct - It is about 25 miles from Stirling and a taxi will work. The only other "public transportation" option would be a bus to either Callander or Aberfoyle and a taxi from there. <BR>

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 11:04 AM
janis

I forgot to add - I've stayed there 4 times and really love it.