Local phone calling

Old Oct 14th, 2003, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Local phone calling

We are going to Itlay next Monday. What should be use for confirming reservations, calling a restuarnt etc.
1. Buy a cell phone
2. Calling card (how does this work for just local Italy calls)
3. Anything else?
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 09:12 AM

Buy a calling card--you can get them in any Tabacchi (there will be a sign with a T in the front) one for 5Euro lasted us 12 days including calls home. You just dial an 800 number and push 2 for English instructions. Very Easy and way cheaper than a cell phone.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 11:47 AM

For the uses you mention, why do you need to call at all? Any hotel small or large should be happy to call restaurants or confirm reservations for you. And if you don't speak Italian, they will have much better luck. Plus with restaurants you are more likely to get better service or a better table when the hotel calls for you.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 04:28 PM
KMS

We were thinking about buying a cell phone for our trip and are very glad we didn't. We about a 10 Euro calling card and used it the whole time. Just make sure you get an International Calling Card (very easy to find) so you can call in Italy and call home.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 07:49 PM

I had an AT&T Calling card from SAMS Club that I used in France last year. Just be sure to call the info number on the card BEFORE you leave and get the "country" 800 #. I wrote the one for France on a white label, cut it to size and pasted in on the front of the card and covered it with scotch tape.
To make sure the card I bought was good for international calls I copied the number and the contact number and called AT&T before I bought the card. It was a blessing as I had to call the states two and three times a day. I spent less than $8 for all of those calls. (17 days) This may not work for other countries but you can try. It only costs the time to call an 800 number.