Livorno to Lucca

Search

Livorno to Lucca

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2003, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Livorno to Lucca

We will be arriving by cruise ship into Livorno in Sept. We'd like to spend the day in Lucca. Would we be better off going thru the cruise line, private tour, taxi or train? Any info on what to do there would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sherryl
Old May 31st, 2003, 12:14 AM

I have friends that work on cruise ships. They would tell you that you would not likely find more tightly (timely) scheduled transportation than that arranged by the ship (assuming the ship has already laid on a day-trip as part of the package). No fuss, no delays. You are also likely to get a guide thrown-in at no extra charge, so take advantage of what is available.

Still, they would also tell you that the basic modus of a cruise ship is to keep you on the ship. There is no percentage for them when you spend ashore. Ask for details now about how long on the road, how long in Lucca, etc. , then decide.

If you do get to Lucca, do walk at least part of the walls. It is a beautiful promenad with very nice views across the roof tops on one side and a splendid park made out of the very wide moat one the other.
Old May 31st, 2003, 12:51 AM

Sherryl - Go by train - it's easy and very cheap compared to the cruise line tours. Return fare would probably be about €10.00.

Journey time by train from Livorno Centrale to Lucca is 50-70 mins, with a change of train at Pisa Centrale. Couldn't be easier.

You will of course have to get to Livorno station from the dock, which may be a couple of miles. You could do that by taxi. There will almost certainly be a bus service too.

There are departures from Livorno at
07.29 (arrives Lucca 08.20)
08.02 (arr. 09.10)
08.56 (arr. 09.55)

You can check return train times on
www.trenitalia.com

Let me know if I can be of more help ...

Steve
Old May 31st, 2003, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Steve & Blackhorse,

Thanks for the help. Train sounds pretty easy. We dock at 8am - do you think we can make the 8:56 train? Will taxis be willing to take us only to the station, or will they be more interested in people heading to Pisa or Florence? Will it be hard to get back to the port from the train station say around 5pm?

Thanks again,

Sherryl
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 04:43 AM

I can't see you'd have a problem. As for the return, most city stations have a taxi rank. Just make sure you get a legitimate taxi with metre.

Steve
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 09:02 AM

I'll also be docking for a one day trip in Livorno and was recommended that a half day trip to Pisa as well as going to Lucca would be best. What all can be seen in Lucca?
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 09:12 AM
ira

Hi Ray,

Do a text search here for Lucca and also a search on www.google.com.

Lucca is an old, walled city that has been well recommended.