Livorno, Pisa or somewhere else?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2023, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to decide where to go for three nights. Upon arrival at FCO in late October (flight arrives 8:00 am) we will be picking up our car at the airport and I would like to drive north along the coast since we have never been to this area. The next leg of our trip will be in Val d'Orcia and that is already set in stone.

DH works with natural stone and would like to do a tour of Carrara quarries. That would be one day excursion.

We would like to see Pisa, but I'm not convinced that is where we should base. Reviews are mixed about staying there. Also, how easy is it to drive in and out of Pisa for day trips? Hotel recs?

What do you think of Livorno? Or do you have other suggestions?
Thanks very much.

Last edited by bfrac; Jul 3rd, 2023 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Italy Tag
Old Jul 3rd, 2023, 08:10 AM

I’m not expert, but have you considered Lucca? It’s a gorgeous walled city with fabulous food.
Old Jul 3rd, 2023, 08:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Livorno is called the Naples of Tuscany by by Tuscan friends but I suspect that is more to do with the accent rather than anything else. Many of the towns along the coast are a bit modern and beach orientated. Castello di Santa Severa is a bit more interesting.
Old Jul 3rd, 2023, 09:54 AM

The Lerici area is beautiful, and close to Carrara. I feel like if you have a car, you should make the most of having a car--so look at places that are not on the train line. You can park at Sarzana to take train to Pisa. Be careful about leaving luggage in the car in Pisa (i.e., I would not do it).
Old Jul 3rd, 2023, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Can someone tell me how to edit and tag this to Italy, please?
Old Jul 3rd, 2023, 11:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You're thinking of driving immediately after landing (on a red eye flight)?? Have you researched the drive times? All of these destinations are 3.5 to 4 hours from FCO. Most here would strongly discourage that idea.

FYI, most of the route is not on the shoreline and/or within view of the water, even if you drive the much slower secondary roads, even where the road looks (on the map) like it's right on the coast.

You could train to Livorno, Pisa or Lucca and rent the car there, but considering your plans that would likely mean a one-way rental charge.

Or you could rent the car at FCO but drive just to Tarquinia (about an hour) the first day. Do the long-distance drive after a night's sleep. Tarquinia is an interesting town. Lots of Etruscan history, nice views from a couple of spots, some medieval towers. Here's a walking tour on YouTube and a tourism website:

https://tarquiniaturismo.com/?lang=en
Old Jul 3rd, 2023, 11:53 AM

Jean is right--sorry, I misinterpreted your post and thought you were landing at Pisa. Her suggestion of some of the Etruscan sites near Rome airport would make for a nice stop. Up to an hour would get you to Capalbio. I would not suggest being more ambitious than that unless you fly business class.
Old Jul 3rd, 2023, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Jean for info on Tarquinia. I will look into it.

I'm not concerned about the 3.5 hour drive, but that would be our limit for the first day. We are used to it and flying business so won't be zombies.
Old Jul 4th, 2023, 01:57 PM

Lucca or Palermo are the better options to stay and you can drive to Carrara from either. However if you decide to travel by train, Pisa would be the better option. Lerici is an attractive area, but will be quiet in October.
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by uktravelover
Lucca or Palermo are the better options to stay and you can drive to Carrara from either. However if you decide to travel by train, Pisa would be the better option. Lerici is an attractive area, but will be quiet in October.
Oops. That should have read Pisa or Lucca.
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 05:04 AM

Hi bfrac
I would rather avoid Pisa because it is very touristy, expensive and people like to rip you off. I would recommend Lido di Camaiore or Forte dei Marmi. It's also very touristy but you're by the sea and the beach. If you have any time left over, I would definitely visit the beautiful island of Elba if you are already in the area.

Have a great trip!
Martin
Old Jul 6th, 2023, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Martin. I was getting the feeling we wouldn’t like Pisa for three nights.
Old Jul 6th, 2023, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Uk, we will have the car and not be traveling by train. Giacomo is not a fan of trains. Palermo will be another trip! Thanks.
Old Jul 7th, 2023, 12:45 AM

Pisa is fine, and you will be tourists so enjoy it. Trainphobia, such a pity, so many interesting people to chat to and such a calm way to travel. Plus of course no car to have to park, protect, not scratch etc etc
Old Jul 7th, 2023, 01:39 AM

As you will definitely be driving I would opt for Lucca. If you fancy the coast, then you need to consider that things have started to wind down by late October, so Viareggio would be the better option.
Old Jul 7th, 2023, 08:27 AM

Our last trip to Italy in 2017 we spent 2 nights in Pisa (that's where we flew into). Yes, very touristy around the monuments, especially with all the day trippers, but at night, when you walk into the town, towards the Arno, it's quite serene and seems authentic. I remember getting great pignoli cookies at a local bakery, what a treat. There's a main street off Piazza dei Miracoli, which is very touristy with lots of restaurants. Once you get beyond that it much more peaceful. After the day trippers leave things quiet down quite a bit. There's also a university there as well so it's a bit of a college town. We did a day trip to Lucca from Pisa. Lucca is also a good option, and worth at least a stop.
Old Jul 7th, 2023, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by MFNYC
Our last trip to Italy in 2017 we spent 2 nights in Pisa (that's where we flew into). Yes, very touristy around the monuments, especially with all the day trippers, but at night, when you walk into the town, towards the Arno, it's quite serene and seems authentic. I remember getting great pignoli cookies at a local bakery, what a treat. There's a main street off Piazza dei Miracoli, which is very touristy with lots of restaurants. Once you get beyond that it much more peaceful. After the day trippers leave things quiet down quite a bit. There's also a university there as well so it's a bit of a college town. We did a day trip to Lucca from Pisa. Lucca is also a good option, and worth at least a stop.
one of the smallest and most prestigious in Italy, my BIL lectures there
Old Jul 7th, 2023, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

MFNYC: Where did you stay in Pisa?
Old Jul 7th, 2023, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
Pisa is fine, and you will be tourists so enjoy it. Trainphobia, such a pity, so many interesting people to chat to and such a calm way to travel. Plus of course no car to have to park, protect, not scratch etc etc
Trainphobia 😀 you are correct.
Old Jul 7th, 2023, 07:31 PM

I'm with MFNYC!

In Defense of Pisa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -