Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Living like the locals in Seville, Spain?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to rent an apartment or villa during our honeymoon instead of swanky hotels. Any suggestions appreciated!!!
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:38 PM

A villa in Sevilla? Possible, but a little more information would be helpful, including your budget.
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:15 AM

If you stay in the bohemian Alameda/Macarena area north of the more touristy Santa Cruz district, make sure you are inside the city walls (la Muralla), as parts of Macarena is outside (the outside area is called Hospital de Macarena). The main street in Macarena within the city walls is San Luis. Also look for Plaza San Marco and Encarnación. In Alameda, look for the streets Feria, Plaza and Torneo.

In Triana, you may want to stay close to Puente de Triana/Puente de Isabel (Triana bridge). The C/Betis along the river is very popular.

These sites might give you some ideas:
http://www.sevilla5.com/apartments/feria.html
http://www.sevilla5.com/apartments/triana.html
http://www.welcomesevilla.com/see_apartament.php
http://www.embrujodesevilla.com/engl...tsseville.html
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:33 AM

This attic looks just brilliant. With private roof terrace for 85/510€ pr. day/week: http://www.sevilla5.com/apartments/f...ria-attic.html

"This is one of the few remaining parts of the city which is filled with mainly local shops and many conveniences for your day to day needs. There is the wonderful fresh food market, as well as several bakeries, grocery stores, tapas bars and restaurants all at your doorstep."
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:13 AM

There is a good reason why so many tourists stay in Santa Cruz. It's ancient, beautiful and romantic. Many small nice Pensions there so you don't have to stay in swanky hotels. If you are set on renting an apt. follow kimhe's advice. Macarena and Alameda areas kind of hip. Alfalfa and Arenal also good. Triana is a long walk across the bridge but certainly is where the locals live. Nothing wrong with it.
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:47 AM

I rented from embrujo de sevilla, it was a very nice apartment.
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

@Kimhe and Robert~ thank you! these look like great resources and it seems to be all useful info. we appreciate it! its right up our alley and its exciting to see all of these options available.
@Cholmondley~ quite the comedian.
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:19 PM

Hmmmm Cholmondly you have it all wrong I am sad for you.
My take is this:

1. Observe and appreciate the respectful and affectionate relationships locals have with their parents, grandparents and children.

2. Notice the natural beauty, lack of cosmetic surgery and light hand with make up of the gorgeous Sevillanas.

3.Learn to have a main meal at lunch after 2...and perhaps a later meal of tapas. Enjoy & savour your time and dining experience. No one will rush you away from a restaurant.

4. Witness true generosity, no penny pinching among friends at the bars etc, on the contrary.

5. Observe the passion with which conversations take place. The verve, and the gusto, the debates. These people feel and express themselves, and are truly alive there.

You will surely have a great time. I cannot wait to go back.
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:42 PM

"Witness true generosity" and honesty! If reflects perfectly on the three women from Sevilla who noticed my wife had left the ATM machine without retrieving her cash (300€) because the machine told her that the transaction couldn't go through and brought the money, and the receipt, to us as we walked away.
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:13 PM

WOW!!
Old May 19th, 2010, 10:24 AM

My favorite Sevilla story about the kindness and paience of locals was when I ran out of my pocket packet of Kleenex. I couldn't remember the work for "tissue" so I went into a store, held up my empty package, and asked "What do you call these?". With a straight face and no laughter, the lady replied "Kleenex". That is kindness.
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:47 PM

Yes similar to "chiklets" for gum...
Old May 20th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

amsdon, ill choose to believe the more romantic version with you. we will be on our honeymoon for 18 days and ill have no problem at all eating late lunches and lazily making friends with perfect strangers. we are in no rush.

to each his own~